Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF vs BA Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

AF vs BA Business

I have been going crazy trying to make my mind up and, in desperation, am turning to the learned FlyerTalk community for help!

I am planning on going to California for two weeks this summer with better half, the idea being to fly from BRU to SFO and back from LAX to BRU. British Airways and Air France both have competitive (i.e. really dirt cheap) fares in business, but I just cannot figure out which one would be better. I have taken several long-hauls with AF and have always loved the food and service (I realize that this makes me weird) and have never taken BA in business. I have looked around but have not found a definitive BA vs AF showdown thread.
As far as I can see, very generally speaking, the pros and cons are as follows:

AF
Easier trip from Brussels because of train (via TGV), crappier connection because of CDG.
Better food.
Good service, but aided by fact that I speak French.
A380 on the way back from LAX.
Have status so miles don't hurt.
Seats not ideal, but I tend to get "locked" into position because am very tall.

BA
Crappier trip from Brussels as one must take plane to LHR, better connection because of Terminal 5.
True flat-bed seats.
Questionable food.
No seat selection due to lack of status, becomes issue if middle seats not available as traveling with partner.
Have to change time zone twice during trip (CET->GMT->PST) instead of once (CET->PST).

Would anyone with more experience be able to provide some input please? Thank you!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:32 am

I would opt for BA - no question. LHR isn't great but T5 is good and the lounges great. The seat is way better.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: all
BA seat is a better seat for sleeping..i would do BA
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Changing time zone an extra time should be the very least of your worries.

Johan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
A380 in J....
I would definitely go for it.

Ulxima
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In general, I consider that BA has a better J product, but I'll admit that your scenario is one where I would seriously hesitate.

PRO BA:

The one thing on which BA wins hands down is the comfort of their seat in sleeping position (and therefore sleeping on the return trip). In my view, there is no comparison between the fully flat BA seat and the 'sloppy' AF one.

Another BA positive is that BA have got multiple flights from LAX while AF only has the one A380 most days, which happens to leave too early to make it easy to sleep in my view.

It's always fun to experiment a new airline.

In my view, even the BA club lounges at T5 are nicer than the CDG lounges, and the OW lounges at LAX are much better than the ones AF use (even for the A380).

PRO AF:

This being said, in my view, there are quite a lot of reasons to prefer AF on your specific itinerary:

I like BA because I can get upper deck windows but I would hate to be stuck in a middle seat downstairs. Fully flat or not, I'd prefer an AF window any day over that. Granted, you can pay extra and book the seat of your choice on BA but I wouldn't blame you for 'philosophically' refusing to pay extra to choose a seat when travelling in J.

I really like the TGV connection of AF from/to BRU. The first class AF carriages are very nice, leaving from Gare du Midi is much nicer than having to go to horrid shopping-centre-of-an-airport Zaventem when you spend your time going up and down and after a long return flight it is nice to be on a train where you can stretch your legs and walk around.

Food is generally better on AF, but on the trip you are doing it will be MUCH better on AF. BA treats all of its North American flights including California and Mexico as 'second class citizens' food wise. It means that in J you get one hot meal and a poor afternoon tea outbound and a hot meal and a nasty breakfast with a ghastly bacon roll return. By contrast, on AF, these are considered extra long flights so you will get two full hot meals outbound and hot meal and hot breakfast return.

I prefer the entertainment selection on AF to than on BA (some people disagree) because you have more original/artsy/foreign films which I like while BA tends to focus on big Hollywood blockbusters only.

It would be a shame to do a trip like this and 'waste it' as a miles/status operation.

The A380 is a lovely plane to fly - especially if you haven't yet. Personally, I find its silent quality a big plus especially compared to the old and noisy 747s (upper deck slightly less bad but you are unlikely to get it without status and/or without paying)

Even though it is a minimal chance, there is always the very small chance of an upgrade on AF with your status, almost no chance on BA with no status.

All in all, I think that in your case I would actually choose AF over BA but the two have very different advantages/attractions.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
All in all, I think that in your case I would actually choose AF over BA but the two have very different advantages/attractions.
I fully agree with your analyes. Just one point. The new M-satelite lounge in CDG is very, very nice, but no guarantess the OP will get the m-satelite.

Btw, but this is more personal. I find the BA seats a bit claustrofobic, and also too short, but I'm 6'8". "coffin" is what has been going through my head whilst trying to catch some sleep....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BA has improved its food in J and I would rate food equivalent.
Service equivalent, although you can occasionally get an unmotivated crew on AF.
T5 at LHR is very nice with better lounge than CDG.
If 747 I very strongly advise you to buy an upper deck seat and choose a window seat, fabulous. Then it is a no-brainer. I do not share the philosophical view that it is bad that you have to pay a little extra for that. That is just part of the total cost. As a BA Gold, I am not in favor of allowing non-status guys to book an UD, but if that is you are non-status jump on the opportunity.
In a 10+hr flight, I always take a long 5h nap, so the bed is very important to me. And if you get a 777 with the old NEV2 seat in pairs or trio, you will be miserable (not that the NEV3 A380 seat is good).
Of course, connection times are important too. But BA has several flights to LAX.

Last edited by brunos; Feb 13, 2013 at 3:34 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
BA has improved its food in J and I would rate food equivalent.
I don't really agree on that part. In my experience, the BA J food has not improved, it is just sometimes good sometimes not (including multiple experiences in 2013) but I would call it generally worse than AF, and much much worse for the second meal on those flights.

Service, I agree you sometimes get bad crew on AF but I have some on BA too, and AF has probably given me the occasional best crews in my life (when they are motivated they can be stunning). I would call the service side a tie by and large.

I do agree with you that the UD 744 windows are better than any seat one can get on AF by a distance so indeed if one pays for it, (and if indeed one flies on a 744 which is not the case of all flights to those destinations) it would give BA a clear edge on the hard product department.

I take Zembla's point on the M lounge which is indeed much nicer than the others, but otherwise I would prefer the BA lounges even without status, although that being said, also bear in mind that there is no lounge in pier C and as many long haul flights go from there and LHR is appalling at announcing delays, one can sometimes spent a long time outside of any lounges especially when The AF lounges win on only two aspects: showers (much less bad than BA's) and massage (much easier to get than on BA).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's so good about AF showers except the kit? On everytime I've taken a shower in 2E its not been clean!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:12 pm

Question is: are you actually going to sleep (a lot), i.e. are you going to enjoy BA's strongest selling point?

I assume you don't have any important meetings on arrival, so to me it seems that your trip is more about relaxing. From that point of view I think AF would be the better choice: you avoid BRU, enjoy the TGV in first class, get better food, better AVOD selection and you'll enjoy J in the A380.

And contrary to what some would like you to believe, the AF seats are not that bad that you will not get any sleep at all. (And maybe someone can confirm this, but traveling with a partner I think the seat layout in AF is actually nicer?)

Disclaimer: none of these airlines are my favourites, so I'm objective...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
What's so good about AF showers except the kit? On everytime I've taken a shower in 2E its not been clean!
I've never had a dirty shower at CDG. If I want a shower, I ask (depending on the lounge) the reception desk or the cleaning ladies if I can go have a shower, and they always point me out to a shower which has been freshly cleaned and replenished with towels and kit. On some other airlines, I have seen things in the bins etc, on AF they are always emptied in my experience before a new guest goes in.

The BA showers are clean too, but they are impractical and unpleasant in my view. The shower doors never shut properly which means that you either shower with a hand holding the door or water goes onto the floor. In fact, BA explicitly call these showers 'wet rooms' with reason. There is also no place to put your clothes, hand luggage, etc while AF have benches or tables for that (again depending on which lounge).

On travelling in duo, I don't really agree that the AF configuration is better than BA's. On BA, if you get a window/aisle pair you actually face each other and therefore see the other person which is rather pleasant (at least in my case considering my travelling companion! ).

PS: Neither of those airlines are my favourite either so I am objective too I would choose the new Alitalia, CX, NZ, or the best new DL configurations over either of those any day. The new AA looks very good too!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Koby
And contrary to what some would like you to believe, the AF seats are not that bad that you will not get any sleep at all. (And maybe someone can confirm this, but traveling with a partner I think the seat layout in AF is actually nicer?)
I can confirm that it's true. Both statements actually. NEV4 sleeps reasonably good, despite being at an angle I don't slide, and they are very long which is great when you're tall. Actually, even the NEV3 is sleepable. In the AF/KL fleet the NEV2 (About extinct I think?) and the KL slippery slope seat (Replacement program starts this year) with all their odly angled segments are amongst the worst out there.

Having said that: it's 2013 and spacious flat beds are the benchmark for me, not any of the above.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last two times in 2E, directed to clean showers, pubic hairs around the toilets. Showers leak underneath the door and hence old hairs stuck there. Experiences clearly differ.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: FB
In Business class you are paying for the seat.

BA are on their 2nd generation of flat bed.
- even 1000s of years ago cave men used flat beds to sleep.
But AF have yet to make their beds flat.

but I agree.. would you really want to fly into LHR?
However you are paying for the seat, so why pay all the money for a non-flat bed business seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.