Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked Seats in Affaires; Any way to assign?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Thanks! Quite coincidentally, AF seems to have done a major overhaul on seat maps last night. Previously blocked bulkhead rows in Affaires now seem to be available on all AF flights.
After this comment I went to my A380 booking because there were some bulkhead seats I was keen to get.

Now, the option to change seats at all [admittedly, in Y] is gone!
Old May 31, 2010, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
My own experience with ExpertFlyer regarding AF is that EF is invariably up to date .... I have watched unassigned seats be assigned in "real time" (to me, of course!) and I always seem to surprise AF reservations agents when I call and I know that my fare/award/dates as well as the seats I want are available ... I do my homework beforehand with EF and it is always helpful.

By the way NHFL9, you are much better off in row 1 (in the front Business cabin) than in row 5!
Old May 31, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
My own experience with ExpertFlyer regarding AF is that EF is invariably up to date .... I have watched unassigned seats be assigned in "real time" (to me, of course!) and I always seem to surprise AF reservations agents when I call and I know that my fare/award/dates as well as the seats I want are available ... I do my homework beforehand with EF and it is always helpful.

By the way NHFL9, you are much better off in row 1 (in the front Business cabin) than in row 5!
I do the same.
Indeed, avoid row 5 (very noisy).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanks, I figured as much. Are the seats in row 1 really cramped? Hopefully something better will open between now and then, but I'm not really complaining. MRU-CDG sure beats the MRU-JNB-CDG option that I originally had, having to pay for MRU-JNB and stay a night in JNB.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks, I figured as much. Are the seats in row 1 really cramped? Hopefully something better will open between now and then, but I'm not really complaining. MRU-CDG sure beats the MRU-JNB-CDG option that I originally had, having to pay for MRU-JNB and stay a night in JNB.
No, don't worry, you'll be fine. You are near the tip of the nose, so obviously the curve of the airplane factors in: the four seats in row 1 are a bit closer together than in rows 2-4 because the center aisle is narrower. I prefer row 3 or row 2, just because the center aisle is wider. You do have the advantage in row 1 of not having any foot traffic go by.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
That is correct, we're as up to date as the reservation systems and we don't cache any data. What we think is happening is those seats aren't assigned to any pax, however the AF website is programed to show them as unavailable for one reason or another, which is why the agent was still able to assign them.
Which GDS are you using to request seat maps in Expert Flyer ?
I know that many flights are not 100% up todate and require AVS to be sent by the airline to Amadeus Central System to have it up-to-date.

Anyway, AF migrated its inventory on Saturday, so know that both Reservations and Inventory are linked, there should have less problems.

No more polling to Alpha 3 !
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Mokshu
Anyway, AF migrated its inventory on Saturday, so know that both Reservations and Inventory are linked, there should have less problems.
Is that why I can't modify my seats anymore on LHR-CDG-LHR on A380 in Y?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Is that why I can't modify my seats anymore on LHR-CDG-LHR on A380 in Y?
Seats selection was disabled on all AF websites yesterday, but has been reactivated in the evening, so you should be able now.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
No, don't worry, you'll be fine. You are near the tip of the nose, so obviously the curve of the airplane factors in: the four seats in row 1 are a bit closer together than in rows 2-4 because the center aisle is narrower. I prefer row 3 or row 2, just because the center aisle is wider. You do have the advantage in row 1 of not having any foot traffic go by.
Agreed ^ Rows 2 and 3 are my favourite ones in the B744
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mokshu
Seats selection was disabled on all AF websites yesterday, but has been reactivated in the evening, so you should be able now.
Hm, "select or modify" button is gone

All I see is this:

Code:
 Mr. jms_uk  	Meal 	Status 	Seat  	Status    

London - Paris 	no selection 	-  	1XA 	confirmed

Paris - London 	no selection 	- 	8XK 	confirmed
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:25 am
Original Poster

4A and B opened up. Would you recommend them over 1K and L? Looks like they are close to the lav but would have more room.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
4A and B opened up. Would you recommend them over 1K and L? Looks like they are close to the lav but would have more room.

Thanks again for the feedback!
IMO NO. Wait for 2 or 3. Row 4 is noisy, and there are 6 seats in the row.
Row 1 is fine if you are not claustrophobic (you face a wall), a lot of privacy, very quiet, easy to put an attach case under the foot rest to attempt to get it up.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Row 1 is fine if you are not claustrophobic (you face a wall), a lot of privacy, very quiet, easy to put an attach case under the foot rest to attempt to get it up.
Agree 100% (though there are only 5 seats across in a 2 x 1 x 2 config with seat 4F being the worst in the house! At least on the 744s I have traveled on).

Row 4 is against the wall of the galley/WC area and it can be noisy. You will be happier in row 1 if rows 2 or 3 don't open up.

I would take row 4 over the second cabin any day, though!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Great, thanks again for all of the input, really appreciate it!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks again to all for the seating advice. Was able to snag row 2 thanks to ExpertFlyer's seat alerts ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.