Wiki Posts
Search

Cdg-lax 777 or cdg-sea-lax 330

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Red face Cdg-lax 777 or cdg-sea-lax 330

Hello everyone! I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section or doing something else wrong, or if someone already asked something similar.

So, I have to fly TRN LAX on DEC 26th and unfortunately I have to fly AF, which I used to love once but not much more nowadays.
I am a Flying Blue Gold Member and I'm considering to either get a TRN-CDG-SEA-LAX OR TRN-CDG-LAX.

Through SEA the choice would be an A330 and I really don't mind the wait, since I have access to both SEA and CDG lounges. But it definitely takes longer.

LAX straight from CDG is operated by a B777 which I've been on before but only Business Class and I have no idea about coach seating. Is it that bad?

Which one of the two should I pick flying coach ?
Besides can I get good coach seats in advance with AF being a Gold Member?

Thank you in advcance guys
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:51 pm
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
Originally Posted by GrizNation
LAX straight from CDG is operated by a B777 which I've been on before but only Business Class and I have no idea about coach seating. Is it that bad?

Which one of the two should I pick flying coach ?
Besides can I get good coach seats in advance with AF being a Gold Member?

On Dec 26th there are 2 AF flights from CDG to LAX:
AF 72 departing from CDG at 13:30
AF 74 departing from CDG at 16:30.

AF72 is a 772, still with 3-3-3 seating.

AF 74 is a 77W with 3-4-3 seating.

So either you can take the first one, or you'd better fly through SEA.

Because the 3-4 3 is a real nightmare.

Being Gold enables you to preselect seats in the front of the cabin, but with 3-4-3 all seats are alike: bad !
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much TGV!
Unfortunately the SEA option isn't available anymore so I'll probably have to stick to the 777 CDG LAX with no option to upgrade to Business. thanks for your help tho!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Griz I was on AF 72 just 2 weeks ago, returning to LAX on an award where only Y was available to me, actually preferred that over a longer trip with added connections in biz; and I found it surprisingly okay in an aisle seat; personal video and music worked just fine, those plus my book kept me occupied through the long flight, never felt uncomfortable in the seat with frequent walkabouts. I had 29G; as of now, EF shows that is, again as for me, the forward most open aisle seat, in the forward of the two Y cabins, I advise you to grab that if you can. One caution: they provide sandwiches in the middle galley, just a few rows behind Row 29, between the first meal and the second, lighter one; be sure to grab a couple of those early, as they will be gone later. PS my crew very nice too, you should be fine and have a great visit here to L.A.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:44 pm
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
Originally Posted by time2go1st
Griz I was on AF 72 just 2 weeks ago, ...
and I found it surprisingly okay in an aisle seat...
I guess it was a 772 with 3-3-3 ? In such a case it is normal you found the level of comfort adequate. It is equivalnet to what is provided by most airlines in the world.

The problems start with the 3-4-3 config, which is installed on all AF (and KL) 77W, and will be installed on AF 772 from now on, when they roll in the Premium Voyageur (Eco +) class.

These 3-4-3 777 have to be avoided like the plague.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:03 am

Yes that's exactly right, 3-3-3. I can certainly see that the addition of one more seat per row in that cabin would make it feel more cramped for everybody, hopefully the OP may conclude his travel before the reconfiguration happens.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by time2go1st
I had 29G; as of now, EF shows that is, again as for me, the forward most open aisle seat, in the forward of the two Y cabins, I advise you to grab that if you can. .
Hey I made the reservation and got seat 22 C which should be the very first seat in Y right? Isn't that supposed to be even better room wise?

Thank you for your suggestions!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:11 am

Griz, if we are still talking about AF72 that day, 22C has both ups and downs according to Seat Guru -- it does have extra legroom, but on the other hand maybe slighly narrower width due to the meal tray being in the armrest; and of course, no under-seat storage in front of you. For me the extra legroom might not be worth the downside factors, but for you maybe it is worth it especially if you are somewhat taller person -- purely personal decision. But on the other hand, being at the very front of the cabin might also seem quieter and more private, so maybe it would be the best choice. SG also cautions about getting your knees bumped there by the carts in the aisle but somehow that doesn't seem very serious problem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.