Community
Wiki Posts
Search

collecting Aeroplan vs air miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AP, NWA, AM, BW, HH
Shell used to be 1 AM for $20 and then 1 for every additional $10, then it changed to 1 AM for every $20; now it's 1 for $20 + 1 for every additional $30 as stated above. If I wanted/needed to spend more than $40 at Shell, I'd do 2 transactions.

Shell often has 2x or 3x AMs coupons. There are coupons available now (good until end of September) at airmiles.ca for 6 bonus AMs if you purchase 2 Aquafina waters or two 500 ml of milk and a number of other things; chips, candy, car washes, ice cream, etc. The water and milk are higher priced than at the supermarket but 6 bonus AMs are like 60 Aeroplan miles. I use the ratio of 1:10, since a flight YWG-YYZ is 1400 AMs or 15000 AEs.

Shell used to give bonus AMs for coffee purchase and they had cards which they stamped which gave a free coffee for every 6 purchased.

You don't have to buy $20 of gas to get air miles (except for specific bonuses which say you need to buy $20 or $30 of a particular grade of gas). Generally, your purchase has to be a minimum $20 total including some gas ($1 or $2 worth of gas is enough). Lottery tickets count, tobacco products don't. When a Shell clerk tries to tell you that you need $20 of gas, ask him/her to scan your card and see if it works.

If you pick your spots like certain Safeways (right now Madison Square in Winnipeg) you can get significant amounts of AMs with grocery purchase (spend $100 get 250 AMs). Like all loyalty programs, one needs to pay attention to, and take advantage of, the bonuses available.

I have used AMs for flights when I couldn't get Aeroplan reward tickets at a reasonable rate. I have also used AMs to buy a sofa and a 46 inch Sony Bravia flat screen TV. Mostly I use them for Shell gas coupons.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Actually...YOU are wrong.

Shell Retail
http://www.shell.ca

You'll earn 1 AIR MILES® reward mile on your first $20 purchase including fuel and 1 reward mile on each additional $30 spent in the same transaction at participating Shell retail stations

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/EarnMi...s?sponsorId=38
Thanks, I had that misconception in my mind for quite a while.
I guess, as the enxt poster said, the rules changed somewhere in the
middle of the game.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I didn't know that either. Now AM sucks even more

It was 1 AM every 10$ after the initial $20. I seldom fill up at Shell. I am stuck with PetroCan because there is only one PetroCan on my route of commute. They are actually worse than anything else.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jarusoba
But if one wants to collect AP points from buying Esso gas, I would just use the Esso-extra card. You get 1 Esso point per dollar spent.

11500 Esso points can be converted to 10000 Aeroplan points at points.com

So essentially, this way, you're getting 1 AP point per $1.15 purchase at Esso. Way better than the rate of 1 AP point per $3 purchase using the AP card directly.
Couple of more questions for you jarusoba. Do you get Esso Extra points on lottery tickets and gift card purchases? Is the min transfer amt through points.com 11,500 points? I buy a fair amount of gas, but it will probably take me several years to spend $11,500! I would assume there are bonus opportunities as well. Can you confirm?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Couple of more questions for you jarusoba. Do you get Esso Extra points on lottery tickets and gift card purchases? Is the min transfer amt through points.com 11,500 points? I buy a fair amount of gas, but it will probably take me several years to spend $11,500! I would assume there are bonus opportunities as well. Can you confirm?
Can't really answer your questions, MG. I never buy lottery tickets or gift cards

Go to their website to find out.

As for points.com, you'd have to have an account before you could find out. My cousin did a transfer about 1 year ago and yes, the min was 11500 Esso points to 10000 AP points. But the exchange rates of points.com varies from time to time. So you'd have to sign up to find out. Sometimes they have promotions of getting some bonus points when you sign up. So watch for that. I personally don't have a points.com account because I feel no need to exchange my points this way.

I usually convert my Esso points to RBC points at a ratio of 3500:2500. And then convert the RBC points to BA points at a ratio of 1:1.5. This is the best value to me.

Edited to add: No, I think you'd get no points for lottery tickets and gift certificates. See this.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:04 pm

I just recently renewed my airmiles for $100 rona gift card. Took me over 10 years to get that. I am now switching to aeroplan miles because at least i get them from flights was well.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Now Jarusoba put things in a whole different perspective with the Esso Extra card. $50 at Esso using the points.com conversion would give you 43.5 AP miles. So, you would need to spend2400/43.5*50 = $2760 to get $20 of merchandise which is the best deal barring any promotions.
And if your car uses premium fuel, it's triple the points rate, so it's actually $920 to get the $20 of merchandise, or just about 2.2%. Not shabby at all, especially as it's on top of whatever your credit card gives you.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

11500 Esso points can be converted to 10000 Aeroplan points at points.com
How were you able to get this exchange rate?

My points.comn account gives 2,860 Aeroplan miles for 11,500 Esso points - about 4 Esso points per Aeroplan mile
Old Sep 25, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by martyYYZ

My points.comn account gives 2,860 Aeroplan miles for 11,500 Esso points - about 4 Esso points per Aeroplan mile
martyYYZ, could you also confirm that 11,500 points is still the minimum amount one can exchange?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by tomh009
martyYYZ, could you also confirm that 11,500 points is still the minimum amount one can exchange?
There is no minimum. I can convert 100 Esso points for 25 Aeroplan

I can also convert 5 Esso points for 1 Aeroplam mile
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:37 pm

Really?

As I said in an earlier post that my figure was give to me by my cousin, who is a member of points.com and I am not. He exchanged 11500 Esso points for 10000 AP points about 1 year ago.

Also, the exchange rate at points.com varies and fluctuates, this might account for the discrepancy. Again, the fact that the exchange rate fluctuates is also a hearsay from my cousin. I don't have first hand experience since I'm not a member.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:54 pm

Really?

Also, the exchange rate at points.com varies and fluctuates, this might account for the discrepancy.
Maybe your cousin got lucky or cashed in on a bonus. As of today, the exchange rates are 4 Esso points to 1 Aeroplan mile.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:06 pm

Maybe your cousin got lucky or cashed in on a bonus. As of today, the exchange rates are 4 Esso points to 1 Aeroplan mile.
This is exactly why I didn't join points.com. Every exchange by points.com is a rip-off. Worse value than Airmiles!

I think Esso points are good for exchange into RBC points and then to BA points. Of course, if you don't collect BA points, then Esso points are as useless as PetroCanada points or Airmiles.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
This is exactly why I didn't join points.com. Every exchange by points.com is a rip-off. Worse value than Airmiles!

I think Esso points are good for exchange into RBC points and then to BA points. Of course, if you don't collect BA points, then Esso points are as useless as PetroCanada points or Airmiles.
Petro Canada points arent that bad...About once a year I trade in my petro points for Itravel2000 certs for $25 back.

It's either that or get 750 aeroplan miles
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:06 pm

Esso points are as useless as PetroCanada points or Airmiles.
I disagree. For 499 points ($167 worth of premium gas) you can get a regular car wash. This may not be fantastic, but it's an OK deal with Esso points. This is also a much better exchange rate than any points.com offering

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.