Wiki Posts
Search

collecting Aeroplan vs air miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Yes, you're right.

I just filled up at Esso today. I bought exactly $3 worth of gas with my AP card and then bought exactly $3 worth of gas with my wife's AP card. So that we can qualify for the recent AP bonus offer.

But if one wants to collect AP points from buying Esso gas, I would just use the Esso-extra card. You get 1 Esso point per dollar spent.

11500 Esso points can be converted to 10000 Aeroplan points at points.com

So essentially, this way, you're getting 1 AP point per $1.15 purchase at Esso. Way better than the rate of 1 AP point per $3 purchase using the AP card directly.
Given I spend around 50$ a year on gas - not interested in an Esso-extra card
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I personally don't care about Airmiles. They are useless.
I use my AIR MILES to fly AA on short hauls and earn AAdvantage miles!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Given I spend around 50$ a year on gas - not interested in an Esso-extra card
Lucky you! I wish I could say that!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I use my AIR MILES to fly AA on short hauls and earn AAdvantage miles!
Okay, I should say, they are relatively useless.

While I don't care much about Airmiles, I still collect them. But I won't go out of my way to collect them. I have an Airmiles card in each of my vehicles. Just in case I need to fill up at a Shell, I would use it.

If I need to fly short hauls, I would buy an AC ticket. My airmiles are for redeeming fuel coupons, grocery coupons etc.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I would have said that except my aunt used her air miles to get six people from Winnipeg to Toronto, all on the same flight. I don't think that's possible with Aeroplan unless you are willing to redeem using the high-priced rewards.

Lately, with the high cost of reward tickets (just the fees, not including the points) I'm finding I'm paying for flights rather than using up my points which are set to expire in a few years. We made Elite for 2010 last March so should be using points to fly right now, but, except for one reward flight to IAD, the value of all the other rewards I've looked at were less than 1 cent per point so I've paid for flights instead.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Airmiles is crap. I collect both. And like someone who posted earlier, I don't use my airmiles for flying. I just redeem for gift certs (shell mostly)
I tried flying on Airmiles once to Edinburgh. I had to connect thru the US and Amsterdam to get there. Total travel time was like 14 hours. And on top of that, I had to pay over $400 in taxes. So I said screw it. I flew Zoom direct to EDI instead. (this was in 2006 before they went under) And the zoom ticket was $512 ai. I paid $100 more. But then I redeem the airmiles points that I had for about $400 worth of Shell gift certs. So at the end of the day, I was better off not flying with Airmiles.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Airmiles is crap. I collect both. And like someone who posted earlier, I don't use my airmiles for flying. I just redeem for gift certs (shell mostly)
I tried flying on Airmiles once to Edinburgh. I had to connect thru the US and Amsterdam to get there. Total travel time was like 14 hours. And on top of that, I had to pay over $400 in taxes. So I said screw it. I flew Zoom direct to EDI instead. (this was in 2006 before they went under) And the zoom ticket was $512 ai. I paid $100 more. But then I redeem the airmiles points that I had for about $400 worth of Shell gift certs. So at the end of the day, I was better off not flying with Airmiles.
A relative had a similar experience with Airmiles going from YWG to MSP ... via YYZ ... the total travel time and aggravation almost took longer that the time in MSP. Next time they vow to fly Northwest/Delta direct!

For future flights they now collect Aeroplan miles
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Free Agent
I find the airmiles are most useful to redeem for hotel nights- esp those expensive ones close to airports.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:23 pm

I've had an Air Miles card for over 12 years now and only have accummulated about 300 points. I guess I don't buy enough fruits from Metro or alcohol from the LCBO.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
I would have said that except my aunt used her air miles to get six people from Winnipeg to Toronto, all on the same flight. I don't think that's possible with Aeroplan unless you are willing to redeem using the high-priced rewards.

Lately, with the high cost of reward tickets (just the fees, not including the points) I'm finding I'm paying for flights rather than using up my points which are set to expire in a few years. We made Elite for 2010 last March so should be using points to fly right now, but, except for one reward flight to IAD, the value of all the other rewards I've looked at were less than 1 cent per point so I've paid for flights instead.
Not to be an AP apologist, but to be fair EF shows W=>6 on YWG-YYZ on 22,23,26,27 Sept, and thats short notice.....but YMMV
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
FYI, Esso around here is doing a double Aeroplan points promo.. 2x the normal crappy rate.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Having the free blue air miles card cost $0 and as long as you use it when out at BP's or a liquor store etc, after a few years you can get a free hotel or short haul flight. No point program is perefect even AP has challenges but I am learning lots here, thanks to all who positively share. Grocery shopping and fuel are the big accumulators for every day folk. If your job includes flying all the time, well between the air fare, car rental and hotel, life is good.

I live in the middle of no where where indoor plumbing and hot and cold running water is a plus! Sobey's is over 100 KM away and like Safeway usually expensive, closes is esso in either direction is 78 KM, stuck with provincial goverment phone service, so accumulation is not as easy as most in civilization or back East!

Ya Air Miles does kinda of sucks, but if its free, pace yourself and remember it can be worse, you can be here!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
But if one wants to collect AP points from buying Esso gas, I would just use the Esso-extra card. You get 1 Esso point per dollar spent.

11500 Esso points can be converted to 10000 Aeroplan points at points.comSo essentially, this way, you're getting 1 AP point per $1.15 purchase at Esso. Way better than the rate of 1 AP point per $3 purchase using the AP card directly.
I DID NOT KNOW that. Excellent tip. I'll be applying for my Esso Extra points card today!

I find the biggest problem with Air Miles is having to buy the right amount of gas or groceries to get max points. Shell gives you 1 pt for the first $20, then 1 point for every extra $30. So if you buy $49 of gas, you only get 1 point! With Esso, for $49, you would get 16 AP miles. My tank doesn't always take $50, so I really have to judge when I can fill up.

(However, if there is a promotion, I usually buy from Shell. Right now, they mailed out 4 gas coupons where you get an extra 20 AM if you spend $30 on gas, and if you redeem all 4, you get an additional 20, for a total of 100 AM for a min $120 purchase which is very good. This is a targeted promotion BTW. MB got the coupons, I didn't, so I'm using his coupons.)

Just to compare the value of AM vs AP, I looked at gift card purchases. The best redemption on AM is a $20 Metro gift card for 140 AM. The average gift card redemption on AP is a $50 gift card for 6000 miles. (So a $20 gift card at AP is equivalent to 2400 AP miles.)

Assuming $50 fill ups at Shell (for 2 AM) and $48 at Esso (for 16 AP miles), you would need to buy 140/2*50 = $3500 of gas at Shell or 2400/16*48 = $7200 to get $20 of merchandise.

Now Jarusoba put things in a whole different perspective with the Esso Extra card. $50 at Esso using the points.com conversion would give you 43.5 AP miles. So, you would need to spend2400/43.5*50 = $2760 to get $20 of merchandise which is the best deal barring any promotions.

I'm sure someone will be looking over my math, so let me know if I erred somewhere.

Edit: I should probably redo this using a $20 purchase at Shell since that is the optimum purchase, but who wants to be filling up every other day! 140/1*20 = $2800 of gas to get a $20 gift card for those who don't mind going to the gas station all the time.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 21, 2009 at 7:00 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
You are wrong - with Shell it is something like 1 point for the first $20, then 1 more point for each $10 over that. So as long long as you end up at $40 or $50, you come
out ahead. Just don't end up at $49
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
You are wrong
Actually...YOU are wrong.

Shell Retail
http://www.shell.ca

You'll earn 1 AIR MILES® reward mile on your first $20 purchase including fuel and 1 reward mile on each additional $30 spent in the same transaction at participating Shell retail stations

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/EarnMi...s?sponsorId=38

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.