Search

Damaged Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Damaged Luggage

On our trip back from EZE, AC or the baggage handlers had damaged our luggage. The wheel compartment(not the wheel) broken. AC fixed the damage although not done very professionally. Now back from Tokyo the bag has the same damage what are we to do now? It is a Delsey $400 suitcase.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
On our trip back from EZE, AC or the baggage handlers had damaged our luggage. The wheel compartment(not the wheel) broken. AC fixed the damage although not done very professionally. Now back from Tokyo the bag has the same damage what are we to do now? It is a Delsey $400 suitcase.
Take it to a Delsey repair agent... it may be covered under warranty.
http://www.delsey.com/pages/uk/infos...stance-faq.php

Or next time, buy a Tumi... lifetime warranty.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Next time go down to The Bay and never spend more than $80 on a bag. They come with 5-10 year guarantees, are reputable brands, and you won't lose sleep if you have a $400/$500 bag trashed by the airlines. (Hope none of the dulce de leche bottles broke!)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Next time go down to The Bay and never spend more than $80 on a bag.
Or Costco. They used to have a lifetime warranty. I already had one bag replaced once. Original bag had been bought in the eighties.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Take it to a Delsey repair agent... it may be covered under warranty.
http://www.delsey.com/pages/uk/infos...stance-faq.php

Or next time, buy a Tumi... lifetime warranty.
I have got to agree. I have had a SwissGear and Delsey Rollaboard. They both lasted about 12-18 months. I have a full-sized as big as legally allowed suitcase that I pack to 69 pounds and travels 2/3 of the flights that the rollaboards do. Although it cost me nearly $600 it has lasted 4 years and "almost" looks brand new. It is a Briggs & Riley.

It had a wheel ripped off once, that AC fixed no problem. If they hadn't it would have been covered by the manufacturer. Oh, and even at 69lbs it wheels through the airport like butter! You get what you pay for definitely applies to luggage!

Also has a lifetime warranty... even for airline damage!
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
It is a Briggs & Riley [...] Also has a lifetime warranty... even for airline damage!
I have had a couple of these for a few years, too. Apart from security sticker residue, they look pretty much unused. Love that lifetime warranty.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Now back from Tokyo the bag has the same damage what are we to do now?
File a claim with air canada.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Anybody have any tips on opening a Delsey suitcase when the combination lock doesn't work? I never changed it from the factory set 0-0-0, but locked my suitcase and left it with concierge at Sheraton SGN while I went to Cambodia for a couple of days. I came back last night and the lock won't release! I am leaving for ICN (brrr, cold) in a few hours and would like to wear something other than my sandals!

FYI, I tried all 999 combinations last night in case it had accidentally been reset, and nothing worked.

My last thought is that maybe TSA at SGN will be able to open the lock with their key.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

try this

Combination lock does secure the luggage but it brings a new problem - what to do if you forget the codes of the clocks?

Bear some easy tips in mind on resetting combination lock codes:

1) Try the factory codes set by manufacturers. They are usually vey simple, like 0-0-0, or 1-1-1. If this doesn't work, try step 2.

2) Get a pin and put its end into the reset button on the combination lock. This button is usually located on the side of the lock.

3) Press this button constantly while resetting the codes. Dial up to the numbers you want on the lock. Keep pushing the reset button during this process.

4) Make sure the new codes are easy to remember. But don't use any repeating numbers like 2-2-2 or sequential ones like 1-2-3.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Anybody have any tips on opening a Delsey suitcase when the combination lock doesn't work? I never changed it from the factory set 0-0-0, but locked my suitcase and left it with concierge at Sheraton SGN while I went to Cambodia for a couple of days. I came back last night and the lock won't release! I am leaving for ICN (brrr, cold) in a few hours and would like to wear something other than my sandals!

FYI, I tried all 999 combinations last night in case it had accidentally been reset, and nothing worked.

My last thought is that maybe TSA at SGN will be able to open the lock with their key.
get out, your in SGN and i'm in SIN.......... should drop by for a drink!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any luck with the pin?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
get out, your in SGN and i'm in SIN.......... should drop by for a drink!
GHT I just get back from SIN and it is too bloody hot for my Canadian blood. I actually miss Toronto weather.

Back to MG's problem... Is this possible? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DG...eature=related

Last edited by Away from YYZ; Nov 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
(Hope none of the dulce de leche bottles broke!)
Classic!
I swear, if an Argentinian had to choose between some delicious Dulce and a new car, Not sure what would win out!?!
My GF's family is from ARG . . . Didn't know about that stuff 5 years ago . . . Now, I can't believe sun rose without it!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
Although it cost me nearly $600 it has lasted 4 years and "almost" looks brand new. It is a Briggs & Riley....Also has a lifetime warranty... even for airline damage!
I second the B&R option. Bags are great, and have the lifetime warranty that is the best in the biz...as mentioned, covers even airline damage.

My high end B&R was damaged traveling CVG-YYZ on AC (though may have been CO at CVG that did the damage), with one side of the handle hanging. Fixed no problem by the authorized dealer in Toronto. Also told that the handle was designed to pop out in situations like this so as not to damage the frame of the bag...kind of like the way ski bindings are designed to release if you take a hard enough spill.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Update!

Interesting video Away from YYZ. Don't know if it would work with the Delsey as it's a double zipper!

Trying to do a reset with a pin/pen did not work djjaguar64.

SH suggested I speak to the Sheraton concierge as they surely must have encountered this problem before. Sure enough, it happens all the time where the combination lock malfunctions! Bellman called up the engineer who used a screw driver to release the pull tabs from the lock one at a time.

So my brand new suitcase is undamaged. And I can now go to ICN in my warm shoes instead of sandals!

Thanks for all the suggestions. And it seems that locking your suitcase is a waste of time, and only invites trouble in the case of combination locks! (BTW, going to the airport expecting them to unlock my suitcase would have been pointless as only TSA in the US is equipped with the unlock key!)

GHT, I was in SIN from 10-14. So far, we've been to Singapore, Saigon, Siem Reap and now heading to Seoul. Next year, we'll do the Ts!

Last edited by margarita girl; Nov 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.