Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YOW-YYJ OW - worth it to go AC for $50 extra?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

A bit of newb question - do you folks think it is worth it to pay $50 extra to fly AC (vs westjet) ottawa to victoria one way to collect the aeroplan points? how would one do such a comparison? Im not contending for status upgrade...

westjet is showing $380 and AC is ~430... not a mile run...

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which flights are more convenient for you? How long are the stops? Do you prefer live tv or AC movies?

Go with your gut. If you'd rather save the $50 and have a nice dinner in YYJ with it, that's probably your best bet.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

hmmm... those are all great considerations. how many miles would this OW trip add to my aeroplan account? I am saving for a business class asia flight and have about 85k so far...

thanks for your help!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

just found some 10% off discount codes on RFD - this should equalize the price
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
If it is 50 dollars more to fly tango plus it may be worth it. Certainly not worth it to fly in tango to get the miles for an extra 50 dollars however.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 7:21 pm

if u make a stopover in YVR before heading to YYJ, the $50 would be worth it. Because you will get another 500 miles on Tango Plus. If you are flying direct into YYJ (either from YEG or YYZ), then its would be similar to WestJet. But on AC u will still get 2500 aeroplan miles!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:51 pm

You don't say when you are going. If you are going/returning before May 3, don't forget to register for AC's bonus mile promotion. If you route through YEG/YYC and then YVR, you can get a few thousand extra miles. You'd get 3000 bonus on the way there for 3 segments, and 4000 more on the way back for 3 more segments.

Also, as was stated before, if the $50 premium is for Tango, it isn't worth the difference. If it is for Tango Plus, I'd say fly AC.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
$50 for ~2500 Aeroplan miles.

If you don't have Elite/SE status, your company isn't paying for it, and you're not aiming for Elite, I'd say it's marginal. (Comment based on unknown assumptions. )

You could sign up for a CC and pay $120 for 15K Aeroplan miles. Much better rate of return.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There are 10% codes on the WS forum as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.