Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa MLL premature closing time ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ottawa MLL premature closing time ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So you think it's just fine and dandy to demean not just individuals but an entire country from whatever high perch you think you're on just because they understand that a venue closes at a certain time. Then you think that a company should engage in potentially unprofitable practices just to keep you happy.

Right ...
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:24 am

AC advertises MLL access as a benefit of an international Executive First ticket for departures from airports with a lounge.

Its faulty logic to say that AC only owes a J seat, and everything else is an optional benefit... if that logic is pulled out, the airline doesn't have to provide priority check-in or baggage, additional baggage allowance or even a meal, just a seat. Can't imagine there wouldn't be a lot of whining from anyone here if those things weren't provided, and I don't really see how the MLL issue is any different.

Passengers purchasing J tickets (particularly on international flights) should be advised if the MLL closes in advance of that flight departure as part of the purchase process. No one should have to dig out this information somewhere else and put it together.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Again...

really?

It is an airport lounge. I know people have a hard time sitting in the departures area wiht other people, especially those who only fly in Y..."gasp!" but seriously...

You can slum it for the 30-45mins until you get into own little world..err..pod.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:24 am

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
I think I would agree with the idea that MLLs should stay open until the vast majority of flights leave. That said, as it stands now, it closes before one of YOW's only two international flights (not including CRAs to the U.S. or charters south) depart, which is probably less than the ideal.

Then again, I wouldn't say Ottawa MLL staff are not considerate; many a time they've opened and I've gone into the MLL an hour before posted opening times for those pax headed on one of the early morning flights to YYZ.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Johnlathropa
AC is lucky to have your or my business. Luckier still that we fly J at the grossly inflated prices for not much by way of service or food, and/or that we purchase or earn some sort of Lounge admission card. It is not a "privilege" but a RIGHT which AC has attached to flying out of certain cities."
Actually with that attitude, I'm sure AC won't miss you if you decide to leave. Which of course makes me wonder if AC staff was rude to you before or after you started showing your true colours.

Originally Posted by Johnlathropa
AC should keep its Lounges open until the last flight leaves, period. I do recall that Halifax or Regina, perhaps other locations, have had self-service Lounges for which the check-in agent gave eligible pax a key code to gain admission. I have no problem with this - and it would seem a simple solution to avoid exorbitant staff costs at the less-busy airports and off-hours.
Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't. Either way, they don't. Deal with it.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Poor YOWkid, indulging in the phenomenon of transference. I never suggested AC staff had been rude to me; in fact, their personnel are overwhelmingly pleasant and hard-working, from what I can see and have experienced. Perhaps YOW has engendered different reactions, I don't know.

It is AC's cavalier policies towards its premium pax that annoy me - and I don't feel that I have to "deal with it," but rather, make my points and also suggest some alternatives (such as the example of the coded-entry self-service lounge).
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
The lounge agents were not rude to you, yet you use the word Dragon in your OP...
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcohen999
The lounge agents were not rude to you, yet you use the word Dragon in your OP...
Somewhat thin skinned, aren't we?

In my world "Lounge dragon" has become a pretty generic expression for the job, and should not necessarily be construed as pejorative.

Would Cerberus/Kerberos sound better to you?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: United, SPG, PC, Hertz
Think lounge is a bonus from AC, not a must. Your life will be much easier.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the new YOW MLL scheduled hours.... ?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's definitely opened for the late departure of 888. Last time I flew 888, I left the MLL 25 minutes before departure. I was not even close to be kicked out.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by powermode01
Think lounge is a bonus from AC, not a must. Your life will be much easier.
As an FF benefit, sure.

However can't you pay extra for lounge access when you buy your ticket these days? I would say if they collected money from you for lounge access and when you get there it's close, that would raise some issues, wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.