Wiki Posts
Search

Why does Air Canada.... ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Why does Air Canada.... ?

Not offer there SE client upgrades that are complimentary when business class is empty?

I was recently traveling on a flight and I requested the upgrade. After checking my ticket type the agent and I realized it was not worth using the Special System wide certificate for the 2 hour flight.

Once on the flight there was 1 client in business class. Does it hurt them to show that their loyal clients they are worth something? Most U.S. based airlines offer the automatic upgrade to their bigger frequent fliers.

Just my .02$ worth.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Hack67
Not offer there SE client upgrades that are complimentary when business class is empty?
Because they hold those seats open for more important people... deadheading or vacationing AC employees.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC 35k

I was recently traveling on a flight and I requested the upgrade. After checking my ticket type the agent and I realized it was not worth using the Special System wide certificate for the 2 hour flight.

Once on the flight there was 1 client in business class. Does it hurt them to show that their loyal clients they are worth something? Most U.S. based airlines offer the automatic upgrade to their bigger frequent fliers.

Just my .02$ worth.
Yes, well, most US carriers' J product is vastly inferior to Air Canada's. I flew US "F" a while ago and for the huge cost, I got a bigger seat and some chips and pop. If that's all you're giving you can give it away free.

If AC gives J away for free, who's going to pay? You have certs for this. If you want a confirmed upgrade, use your SWUs and pay for a Latitude fare. I think what you want instead is unlimited SSWUs as an SE. Not going to happen.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Yes, well, most US carriers' J product is vastly inferior to Air Canada's.
Here we go again, another "my crappy airline's crappy J service is better than your crappy airline's crappy F service" post.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 16, 2009 at 8:06 am
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sorry, but I really don't think we need yet another thread on this!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:40 pm

Other than the larger seat, and a little bit of free alcohol and a meal that's comparable to something you could buy in a box at the airport for $10, the only other benefit of travelling in the J cabin these days is the fact that its relatively empty and secluded, with plenty of empty seats and space to move around.

Fill it up with SE's on comp upgrades, and the cabin completely loses another chunk of its value.

That's why non-rev or reduced revenue passengers should be kept out of J as much as possible.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Hack67. welcome to Flyertalk!

Lots of us have asked the question before. No real answer? other than if AC gives it why would we buy it. Also its valid they need it for deadheading crews, they can't sit in a regular customer seat
Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by SFO777
Here we ago again, another "my crappy airline's crappy J service is better than your crappy airline's crappy F service" post.
Or, here we go again another "why doesn't AC give me something for free that I'm too cheap to pay for" post.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
AC did do this for a short while, years ago, in the Western triangle. Routes between YVR/YEG/YYC were auto-upgraded for E's and SE's. Not sure about P's.

Two sides of the coin. If they gave away free upgrades, who has more priority? An SE who paid a Tango fare, an E who paid Tango+, or a P who paid for a Lat?

No, I prefer AC stick to the rules, so everyone gets treated fairly.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Geez, people are harsh tonight

Welcome to moody FT Hack67.

I think the basic consesious is SEs would try and and play the system to fill empty J planes with their posteriours rather than use a S/SWU.

Not that anyone would ever try and abuse the system...

ps. USAir's F is just plain terrible
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:23 pm

Spend C$6,500 or less = SE = Most loyal customer = free upgrade.

Great deal!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcohen999

I think the basic consesious is SEs would try and and play the system to fill empty J planes with their posteriours rather than use a S/SWU.
Actually, I never seem to need mores SWUs. In the last few years, I don't think I have been in Y on an AC flight, except on planes with Y only. I suspect many SE types find themselves in a similar situation.

However, what might change if they were to give out upgrades left and right is that not so many people would but U/M fares in preference to fares upgradeable with SSWUs only.

The other issue of course has to do with quality of service. Which is bad enough as it is. Imagine if AC management/bean counters would get the idea that most people in J are free riders anyway...

Right now we are mere bottom feeders. :-)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
when business class is empty?
Despite recessionary fears, I haven't seen empty, partially empty, or near empty on any flight in J/C to any destination in years.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Let's go back....

I am not asking for FREE stuff.... that is the first point....

The only thing that is important is it comes down to customer service.

On a 2 hour flight, I would not be pounding the free beer or drinks...

Why not offer the open seats at the last second to your most frequent travelers.

That's it... Simple point...
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
...because then why would people ever buy J?

...because then why on any flights would most SEs buy anything other than the cheapest possible fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.