Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

yup, you beat AC at their own scam!. Looks like on this route, the AC portion of YQ is $50.
This is also the case if AMS is an actual stopover not just a transfer point.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Direct TPE-YVR on AC in Y is around CAD 50. This should go into the wiki.

Same for HKG-YVR on AC (no YQ)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Think I did okay...All flights in J.
YYC-NRT AC
NRT-SIN NH
SIN-TPE SQ
TPE-YVR BR
YVR-YYC AC

155,000 points and $350.01 in taxes.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How much of it was YQ?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer4Ever
I thought TG had no YQ..
TG has YQ, but some people reported that it doesn't on some intra-Asia flights?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer4Ever
Thanks WKnight, my flight from TPE - YYZ will be May 30, 2018. I still have trouble finding BR direct.
From your earlier post, I believe you are flying TPE-YVR and then YVR-TPE, so you're looking to rebook into a new non-stop TPE-YYZ BR36 flight (with $100 change fee, correct)? Well, based on these other recent posts that mention low/no YQ for direct flight from TPE to Canada on AC, consider looking for AC instead of BR?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How much of it was YQ?
If I read this right, $191 of that was YQ. Looks like NH might have charged me some YQ.
18APR18YYC AC X/TYO NH SIN R0.00SQ TPE R0.00BR X/YVR AC YYC
R0.00CAD0.00 END ROE1.00 PD12.00SW5.90OI191.30YQ30.00YR5.80OP
21.20TW30.00SQ1.50XG25.91CA18.80SG7.60OO
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Booked for the in laws. I felt ashamed when I was told the taxes and fees, but they didn't want to route through the US and EVA Air from YVR wasn't available, so AC metal both ways over the Pacific was my only choice out of YVR. Then, I didn't have much choice getting to SYD, as they didn't want to be on the Chinese airlines, so my only available option was THAI which killed me on fees.

October-December 2018:

YLW - YVR AC Y
YVR - ICN AC J
STOP
ICN - BKK TG J
BKK - SYD TG J
TURN
SYD - BKK TG J
BKK - SGN TG J
STOP
SGN - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR - AC J
YVR - YLW AC Y

Total fees: $1287.00 + $30 booking fee, per person.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Booked for the in laws. I felt ashamed when I was told the taxes and fees, but they didn't want to route through the US and EVA Air from YVR wasn't available, so AC metal both ways over the Pacific was my only choice out of YVR. Then, I didn't have much choice getting to SYD, as they didn't want to be on the Chinese airlines, so my only available option was THAI which killed me on fees.

October-December 2018:

YLW - YVR AC Y
YVR - ICN AC J
STOP
ICN - BKK TG J
BKK - SYD TG J
TURN
SYD - BKK TG J
BKK - SGN TG J
STOP
SGN - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR - AC J
YVR - YLW AC Y

Did you present an option with No-YQ airlines like EVA or SQ?
If you did, and they still chose YQ, then so be it :P

I know some people are just impossible to convince. I'd take EVA/BR anyday over AC or TG, it is not really "China-based" airlines, and MILLIONS have fly them
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

October-December 2018:

YLW - YVR AC Y
YVR - ICN AC J
STOP
ICN - BKK TG J
BKK - SYD TG J
TURN
SYD - BKK TG J
BKK - SGN TG J
STOP
SGN - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR - AC J
YVR - YLW AC Y

Brutal fees... I have booked several trips from YYZ to both SIN and HKG and Perth (and return) and fees were under $220 per person. That's a savings of over 2 grand for a couple over those fees, and I know I will enjoy EVA flights a lot more than I would on AC/OZ/TG.. True, I won't be going to SYD, but I figure Perth..what the heck, it's still Australia.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Holy.... The scamfees are bad enough. But when spent on flying AC. 😭
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by mapleg
Brutal fees... I have booked several trips from YYZ to both SIN and HKG and Perth (and return) and fees were under $220 per person. That's a savings of over 2 grand for a couple over those fees, and I know I will enjoy EVA flights a lot more than I would on AC/OZ/TG.. True, I won't be going to SYD, but I figure Perth..what the heck, it's still Australia.
EVA wasn't available except out of SEA AND LAX and they didn't want that.

and no SQ available from ICN to SYD unfortunately. Their choice . They wanted exact dates and convenience over low fees
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Its still a nice trip for them, being in-laws and all.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

October-December 2018:

YLW - YVR AC Y
YVR - ICN AC J
STOP
ICN - BKK TG J
BKK - SYD TG J
TURN
SYD - BKK TG J
BKK - SGN TG J
STOP
SGN - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR - AC J
YVR - YLW AC Y

It takes some guts to admit this here. 😭

But yeah, it's for the in-laws, so whatever works.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:49 pm

Tried to find 5 seats in J on low YQ, but it's almost impossible for the March break 2019 period. So ended up with this itinerary:

YYZ-HND AC - 5J (stopover)
NRT-BKK TG - 2F/3J (<24 hrs)
BKK-HAN TG - 5J (destination)
SGN-PEK CA - 5J (open jaw)
PEK-LHR CA - 2F/5J (<24 hrs)
LHR-YYZ AC - 5J

Scamcharges: 926.56 + booking fee per person Getting 5 seats limits a lot of options.

I will monitor to see if other airlines opens up and switch... hopefully will get lower scamcharges compared to the change fees.

Any other suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.