Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by splicer100
YOW-YYZ AC Y
YYZ-JFK AC Y
JFK-IST TK J
IST-JFK TK J
LGA-YUL AC J
YUL-YOW AC Y

105,000 points + $179.63 + Booking Fee (The TK flights were only about $76)
well done, but, The TK flights were $0. The AC flights were $76 YQ
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
well done, but, The TK flights were $0. The AC flights were $76 YQ
there is no YQ at all when using AC within N/A as part of transatlantic flight, its all pure tax.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:59 pm

Here is a breakdown of fees for the entire trip:
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee$5.20
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge$25.91
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax$3.12
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee$24.00
Turkey International Airport Service Charge$15.40
U.S. International Transportation Tax$35.40
U.S Agriculture Fee$10.20
U.S Passenger Facility Charge$4.60
U.S.A Immigration User Fee$14.40
U.S. Customs User Fee$11.40
Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services$30.00

Total per passenger$179.63
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Just booked HKG>ZRH via BKK in July

Was super happy to get two tickets in TG F in the middle of summer!

Less happy paying $677.60 in charges for EACH ticket.

I don't remember TG being this high before.
Just to follow up here and clarify the YQ was $609.40 for the following flights:

HKG>BKK TG F
BKK>ZRH TG F
ZRH>BKK TG F
BKK>HKG TG F

Looking forward to checking out F on the 380 on the last flight.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Looking forward to checking out F on the 380 on the last flight.
It's not bad...

Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Nice pic. Thanks, RoninTech. I've flown TG F on their 747 as well the 777 leased from Jet Airways.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
AC SFO-YVR-YYZ-YYT
AC YYT-YYZ-YVR
Booked under multi-city for 25,000 in Y.

U.S. Passenger Safety Fee$2.60

Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge$7.48

Canada Harmonized Sales Tax$3.64

Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee$28.00

U.S. International Transportation Tax$18.20

U.S Passenger Facility Charge$4.80

Fuel Surcharge$27.00

Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services$7.50

Total per passenger$99.22

I've never paid less than $100 for a return AP flight before. Let's cross our fingers to see how this upgrading X class thing works out.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
June 26th -> July 12th
All booked on Y

SFO -> CDG
1 week stopover
CDG -> ZAG (Croatia)
Openjaw - 1 week
ZAG -> LHR
2 day stopover
LHR -> SFO

Miles: 75,000
Fees: $363.90
(LHR fee was at least $100)
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
YUL-YVR on 28JUN13
YYC-YUL on 07JUL13
Both booked in Y on AC

Aeroplan Flight Reward
14.25 Canada Security Charge (CA)
54.00 Carrier Admin. Service Charge (YQ)
104.95 Combined taxes, fees, charges and surcharges *for ClassicFlight
172.20 Total
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
I am trying to research first reward ticket, just about to cross the 80K mark in points (will happen next week after yyz-yvr trip, with flight/hotel/car/CC expenses).

Want to do YYZ-SYD but fees are close to $1000 Feb 2014, I can book a flight for $1700 (through AC/Air pacific) might just pay out the cash and save points for something better. Is there a reason I don't see any United flights?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AC, UA, DL, BA, SPG
Originally Posted by Swarez
I am trying to research first reward ticket, just about to cross the 80K mark in points (will happen next week after yyz-yvr trip, with flight/hotel/car/CC expenses).

Want to do YYZ-SYD but fees are close to $1000 Feb 2014, I can book a flight for $1700 (through AC/Air pacific) might just pay out the cash and save points for something better. Is there a reason I don't see any United flights?
You can check United's availability on united.ca, select your dates and choose award travel (Saver award inventory is what you can usually book on aeroplan.ca or by calling aeroplan). There is not much inventory for Feb 2014, I think it's too far ahead; there might be more inventory available down the road. $1000 in fees on a $1700 cash ticket is not worth it, imo.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:28 am

Cool

Originally Posted by migali
You can check United's availability on united.ca, select your dates and choose award travel (Saver award inventory is what you can usually book on aeroplan.ca or by calling aeroplan). There is not much inventory for Feb 2014, I think it's too far ahead; there might be more inventory available down the road. $1000 in fees on a $1700 cash ticket is not worth it, imo.
I agree if its a $700 difference I am just booking on my own and saving points.
Next year I have 5 weeks off work because I did 8 days of 16 vacation in 2012 and probably only 2 of my 3 this year and we can't carry more than 2 years.

Do I actually need to book through United's site? It is prompting me for a united account # (which I don't have), or just call up AC and tell them this is what I want to do and pay the fee. I am probably not going to book for a month or two so have time to weigh some options. Any opinions are welcome, looking to go for about 2 weeks. May do a 2-3 day stop over somewhere else if its not too much more in points or dollars. Looks like its around $200 in fee's when going through united, so definitely will do that option.

BTW a few ppl PM'd me saying to try to save for J. Not worth it to me since I am good with a sleeping pill and Y. Being able to sleep anywhere has its perks sometimes.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Swarez
I agree if its a $700 difference I am just booking on my own and saving points.
Next year I have 5 weeks off work because I did 8 days of 16 vacation in 2012 and probably only 2 of my 3 this year and we can't carry more than 2 years.

Do I actually need to book through United's site? It is prompting me for a united account # (which I don't have), or just call up AC and tell them this is what I want to do and pay the fee. I am probably not going to book for a month or two so have time to weigh some options. Any opinions are welcome, looking to go for about 2 weeks. May do a 2-3 day stop over somewhere else if its not too much more in points or dollars. Looks like its around $200 in fee's when going through united, so definitely will do that option.

BTW a few ppl PM'd me saying to try to save for J. Not worth it to me since I am good with a sleeping pill and Y. Being able to sleep anywhere has its perks sometimes.
You're not going to find the flights you want on the aeroplan site. You need to use other tools (united, ana, etc) to find the available award flights on non-scamcharge airlines and build your itinerary yourself. Then, you call Aeroplan and give them the dates & flight numbers and pay the $30 telephone booking fee. Not a quick process, at least not for me. I spent about 2 weeks researching the last one before I found something I wanted to book.

I did my first mini-rtw in Y and realized after my 2nd one in J what a mistake that was. Seats, food, lounge access, IFE - many reasons why it's worth it in most people's opinions.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
You're not going to find the flights you want on the aeroplan site. You need to use other tools (united, ana, etc) to find the available award flights on non-scamcharge airlines and build your itinerary yourself. Then, you call Aeroplan and give them the dates & flight numbers and pay the $30 telephone booking fee. Not a quick process, at least not for me. I spent about 2 weeks researching the last one before I found something I wanted to book.

I did my first mini-rtw in Y and realized after my 2nd one in J what a mistake that was. Seats, food, lounge access, IFE - many reasons why it's worth it in most people's opinions.
Thanks for the tip, I started playing around with a couple different sites and going much better than just looking at aeroplan. How far in advance should I be booking?

Keep in mind the only long hauls I have done is to Paris, Barcelona, London and they have all been on Air transit. I'm only 25 and good with going cheap for a little while longer. I am just getting a lot of points now as I travel more and more for work so rather save them for multiple trips rather than dump than on one.

Next year for example I want to do Australia, Istanbul and Rio/sao paulo that's a lot of points needed. I am also exploring putting in stops along the way if time permits, singapore for example is somewhere I want to go (and know someone there). I did a rough calculation, I will now be doing approx 50-60K status miles plus 30-40K in points from CC and hotels etc so probably going to pay for one of the flights out of pocket.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Altitude 35K, Nexus/GE, Amex Platinum, Priority Pass, CX Marco Polo Gold, Visa Aerogold Infinite
Back in December, I booked J class YYZ - MUC return for July. Here's my itinerary and fees:

YYZ - PHL AC (E75) J
PHL - MUC US (333) J
MUC -WAW LO(E75) J
WAW-YYZ LO (788) J

Fees breakdown:

U.S. Passenger Safety Fee$2.50
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge$25.91
Germany Airport Security Charge$7.00
Germany Air Transport tax$56.00
Germany International Passenger Service Charge$24.90
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax$3.25
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee$25.00
U.S Agriculture Fee$5.10
U.S Passenger Facility Charge$4.50
Poland Domestic&International Airport Tax$20.10
U.S.A Immigration User Fee$7.10
U.S. Customs User Fee$5.60
Fuel Surcharge$80.90
Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services$15.00
Total per passenger$282.86
Total passengers1
$282.86

I think at $282 and change, it's a great deal for a TATL on J class. 90,000 AE miles. I chose this to avoid scamcharges by flying US Airways and LOT, and to experience the B787 on the Warsaw-Toronto leg. I think I am fairly successful in the first. As for the Dreamliner....well, just have to wait and see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.