Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone think there will be more price reductions/specials in 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E

In our current economic conditions, does anyone think AC will be offering more promotions or price reductions in 2009? Considering many companies are trying to minimize costs. If so, which routes do you think would be worst hit by the downward economy?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There has always been a systemwide seat sale in late Dec/early Jan but AC just had a seat sale. I suspect they need cash and will have another sale in the coming days.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Definitely some long haul routes and certain vacation destinations will be hurt in this economic climate. Stay tuned seat sales will come.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
There has always been a systemwide seat sale in late Dec/early Jan but AC just had a seat sale. I suspect they need cash and will have another sale in the coming days.
I don't think AC needs cash so much as a prudent operator would lock in as much business as possible for next year. The economy is so weak right now, it's best to operate with a high load factor. But if AC were desperate, the seat sale fares would be lower. When I compare the tourist fare I got for a YYZ-FRA round trip last April - about $875 all in - when the economy was stronger, with the seat sale fare for the same week this year, I see little difference even though fuel costs are heading south. I'd say that based on the current sale, AC is actually making bigger margins on that flight than it would have a year ago.

When I see the April fare for that route - or other transatlantics - fall under $700 all in, I'll be impressed. So I think this cash-raising idea which some of you have developed is wrong.

A desperate company would offer desperate fares, and if you compare transatlantic Tourist fare rates with the lowest discounts of past years, I think these are still way too high. There have been years when you could fly to LHR for $600 all in during the winter (at least before the British boosted their taxes to current levels.) That's just not the case right now.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
C$ 590.58 all in YOW-LHR Dec 30-Jan 9

I see YOW-LHR for $199++ RT $99 for Dec 30 and return Jan 8 or 9th for $100 for example - which gives a low of C$590.58 all in on the direct flights.. Wow, AC must be really desperate for cash... It cost me more to fly to West Coast... sorry, that is tourist class so not upgradable..

Last edited by Snoopyo; Dec 26, 2008 at 11:11 pm
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:29 am

I recently saw LHR-LAX return via Canada for $704 CAD all in. N class fare, but the AC booking engine explicity stated "Earn up to 100% Air Canada Status Miles for flights operated by Air Canada."

Base fare was $48 each way.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Trans Pacific Too Expensive

When I see $500-700 ai going to LHR, AC is losing money and needs to cut its Trans Atlantic capacity. Why are fares to Hong Kong so expensive now? Dep January running over $1600 all in, that is ridiculous for low season. That price should be for high season. So at high season, are they going to charge $2000 for economy? I know with Oasis gone there are less capacity. But there are still lots of competition from JAL, EVA, Korean, Air China, China Airline, Cathay. What is going on?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
I recently saw LHR-LAX return via Canada for $704 CAD all in. N class fare, but the AC booking engine explicity stated "Earn up to 100% Air Canada Status Miles for flights operated by Air Canada."

Base fare was $48 each way.
100% miles only for the transatlantic leg but not for the North american ones...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.