Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early weather warning for YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:36 pm
N8M

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, HHonors Gold, AC 25K
Anyone know what Air Canada's official rebooking policy is in a situation like this?

Last night I was told we could reschedule within 7 days. So I go and make all of the arrangements, only to be told today that it is within 3 days. What's the deal?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by jeff3380
a colleague flew porter no problem to new york same time that air canada wasn't flying - something about it being really easy to clear the YTZ runway (there's only one and its small) as opposed to pearson.
It all depends on visibility. YTZ does not do well when it is blowing off the lake or when it is foggy. It sounds like any mode of transportation in or out of Toronto between 9 and 5 tomorrow is going to be slow and frustrating.

And of course there is more of the same coming on Sunday.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
40 to 60 is strong? We don't even notice winds like that here.
Yes, Toronto's "winter storm warning" is known in other parts of the country as "light flurries".....
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ohcanada
Yes, Toronto's "winter storm warning" is known in other parts of the country as "light flurries".....
Don't forget the extreme cold alert at a frosty -10º C, brrr

Signed,
Former Winnipegger
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by threepoint
Thrust.

Parry.

No mayor of Vancouver has ever requested the army to aid in winter flurries. I think the moron factor is universal on the west coast and in central Canada. Too bad the TV cameras don't show the 90% of drivers who are driving somewhat responsibly. Only drivers in SK, MB, the territories and the Maritimes seem to escape nationwide ridicule. I believe Mercer just did a rant about the reluctance of some Torontonians to put on snow tires when it was snowing in December - with predictable results.
HEHEHH oh you must think the world is against Vancouver...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Since when is 6" of snow a big deal? It's time the likes of 680 News and Breakfast Television stopped panicking the population of the GTA with this Snowmaggedon BS. To listen to them the whole city and it's economy should grind to a halt and everybody go down in the bunkers.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Why 2 threads on the exact same topic?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rning-yyz.html
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj
Given the back-up of flights yesterday (Wed.) from our 10cm snowfall, it doesn't look like a good weekend to be on a plane.
Altaflyer if I was a betting man, and I am, I would put my money on you having more success that your compatriots flying out of YTZ.
Good luck everyone.
It wasn't the 10 cm of snow that caused the incredible delays, it was the Jazz flight that slide off the runway. This was reported as a major trigger for the delays to AC and Westjet.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by antirealist
Yes well... I called the SE desk to change my YYT-YYZ flight to Saturday earlier this morning, and they were unable to help as their "computers weren't working". So I called again just now, and they rebooked me, but insisted on charging me a $55 change fee.

I pointed out the travel advisory information on their website, but they told me there was nothing they could do because they "hadn't been informed about it."

UPDATE: And I've just received an email telling me that charge has been refunded. Thanks AC!
Ouch! I did the same thing, she tried to charge me, but I advised her of the advisory and she said, "Just a minute, let me look that up," followed by, "Well whaddya know? We're always the last ones to find these things out. Let's see what I can do for you." And she rebooked me! Unfortunately my rebooking got messed up by the snow in Vancouver, but such is life.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
Snow tire in Toronto???? There are NO snow tire anywhere east of YPG! Quebec has taken ALL of them!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Just order them online. I got mine from tiretrends.com in YVR. Shipped 4 tires+rims for $68 via UPS in 4 days, and no PST to boot!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:54 pm

Altaflyer.... are you on WS654 YEGYYZYQB? If so, I am working your flight. I have PMed you.

(Yes, this is the old Fisch, just lost all my login info for that account)

Merry travels everyone!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well, it's official. Just as ailiton noted, we have a Winter Storm Warning for YYZ.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...e.html?onrm126

Strong northeast winds of 40 gusting at times to 60 km/h will develop early Friday compounding the severity of the storm giving near white-out conditions at times in falling and blowing snow. The storm will likely have an extra sting around the west end of Lake Ontario due to the potential for a lake-enhanced heavy snow band which may affect locales from Oakville into Toronto for a while Friday morning before shifting towards Hamilton and Niagara. Local accumulations near the west end of the lake may reach 25 cm
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:12 pm
Flying Blue Director

I am seeking the wisdom of my fellow FTers. I am scheduled to fly out of YGK tomorrow @ 4pm, arriving in YYZ at 5ish, connecting to MCO @ 9pm.

Normally I wouldn't mind being rescheduled to a later flight, but I have a flight the next day to SJU where I am embarking on a cruise. I have a few questions:

1) What is the liklihood my flights will be cancelled? I've read that the storm should have subsided a bit by that time, so I'm hoping for the best.
2) If something were to happen, and my flights were cancelled and I was stuck in either YGK or YYZ, would AC reaccomodate me on the YYZ-SJU flight the next day (even though I am currently booked on TS MCO-SJU) ? Or only as far as MCO (I know it's only in their CoC to get me to SJU...but maybe in the spirit of the holidays? )

I really don't want to miss my cruise!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:32 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benjybl
I am seeking the wisdom of my fellow FTers. I am scheduled to fly out of YGK tomorrow @ 4pm, arriving in YYZ at 5ish, connecting to MCO @ 9pm.
That flight has already been cancelled:

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.3/Platinum - Apollo: ITN/US-ARL]
Code:
YGK  Kingston ON CA [CYGK]
YYZ  Toronto Pearson Int'l ON CA [CYYZ]
FRI  19 Dec 2008

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- -------------------------------------------------- 
AC/QK     7805   YGK  06:00     YYZ  07:07     DH1  0    Y0 M0 U0 B0 R0 H0 K0 V0 N0 Q0 G0 L0 P0 A0 E0 S0 T0
AC/ZX     7365   YGK  08:00     YYZ  09:05     BEH  0    Y0 M0 U0 B0 R0 H0 K0 V0 N0 Q0 G0 L0 P0 A0 E0 S0 T0
AC/QK     8837   YGK  10:00     YYZ  11:05     DH3  0    Y0 M0 U0 B0 R0 H0 K0 V0 N0 Q0 G0 L0 P0 A0 E0 S0 T0
AC/ZX     7369   YGK  14:05     YYZ  15:10          0    CANCELLED
AC/QK     8835   YGK  16:00     YYZ  17:05          0    CANCELLED
AC/ZX     7373   YGK  17:50     YYZ  18:55     BEH  0    Y0 M0 U0 B0 R0 H0 K0 V0 N0 Q0 G0 L0 P0 A0 E0 S0 T0
AC/QK     8839   YGK  20:00     YYZ  21:05     DH3  0    Y9 M9 U9 B9 R9 H9 K9 V9 N9 Q9 G9 L6 P6 A0 E0 S0 T0
Originally Posted by benjybl
I really don't want to miss my cruise!
And you booked a pseudo-connection, in winter, and to a charter-grade carrier for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.