Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Points Expiry - How to Determine Expiry Date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Points Expiry - How to Determine Expiry Date

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:55 am

I just noticed...in terms of exporting your transaction detail into excel...

If you log into your account and click on:

YOUR ACCOUNT

And then when that screen comes up it will say:

TRANSACTIONS...on the left hand side...

When that screen comes up...towards the top it will say "VIEW YOUR TRANSACTIONS."

And right beside that in orange it says "Export to Excel." When you click on that it puts it very nicely into excel for you.

If you just clock on YOUR ACCOUNT...and scroll down and look at the transactions I don't see the option to export into excel...you have to click on TRANSACTIONS on the left first...or you have to click on "RECENT TRANSACTIONS - MORE TRANSACTIONS" when you are in the YOUR ACCOUNT screen.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mjjhorto
I just noticed...in terms of exporting your transaction detail into excel...

If you log into your account and click on:

YOUR ACCOUNT

And then when that screen comes up it will say:

TRANSACTIONS...on the left hand side...

When that screen comes up...towards the top it will say "VIEW YOUR TRANSACTIONS."

And right beside that in orange it says "Export to Excel." When you click on that it puts it very nicely into excel for you.

If you just clock on YOUR ACCOUNT...and scroll down and look at the transactions I don't see the option to export into excel...you have to click on TRANSACTIONS on the left first...or you have to click on "RECENT TRANSACTIONS - MORE TRANSACTIONS" when you are in the YOUR ACCOUNT screen.
As far as I am concerned, if there is no message, no warning or email reminder of miles about to expire due to the 7 year limit, then they simply don't expire. I hope lots of AP members sue AP in small claims over their miles. My guess would be that AP will not spend money on a lawyer to defend the action, and even if they did, the action would be decided by a small claims court in favor of the AP member, and thus the miles would either be returned or repaid in terms of cash compensation.

AP has become a platform for a corporate rip-off from start to finish. It's poorly managed, poorly delivered, has declining value to members, it's confusing, and serves only to frustrate and turn off the members it's supposed to serve in the first place, namely the frequent fliers.

That's my 2 cents' worth.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
As far as I am concerned, if there is no message, no warning or email reminder of miles about to expire due to the 7 year limit, then they simply don't expire. I hope lots of AP members sue AP in small claims over their miles. My guess would be that AP will not spend money on a lawyer to defend the action, and even if they did, the action would be decided by a small claims court in favor of the AP member, and thus the miles would either be returned or repaid in terms of cash compensation.

AP has become a platform for a corporate rip-off from start to finish. It's poorly managed, poorly delivered, has declining value to members, it's confusing, and serves only to frustrate and turn off the members it's supposed to serve in the first place, namely the frequent fliers.

That's my 2 cents' worth.
Your two cents are are good. I'm a member of many other other programs, none of them is as obscure as aeroplan since its 7 years rolling-yeah-yeah-bye-bye and thank you little members.

It won't affect me for now, since I earn and spend, but that attitude is simply despicable. Nobody is reacting, the big reaction is still to come. Nota: I might double-post.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
<like> and <like>
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I just noticed that there is a button to export to Excel at the top right of the Aeroplan transactions page. Great job Aeroplan!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I've just been keeping a rough eye on things by using the "View Transactions" feature to see the total points earned within a period. The online data only goes back about a year though.

Not really an issue for me - I've generally been spending the points as I earn them, with the exception of the year when they charged the 30% IKK premium. I redeemed no points that year. My current balance has all been earned since May 2010 so I'm not in danger of having my points expire soon.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by DaveTO
I just noticed that there is a button to export to Excel at the top right of the Aeroplan transactions page. Great job Aeroplan!
Yes, but redemptions are exported as positive numbers.

Feb 2 2011 AMEX AEROPLANPLUS GOLD.-.AMERICAN EXPRESS 52,004
Feb 1 2011 Mileage Deduction120,000MILES 120,000
Jan 28 2011 ESSO AEROPLAN MILES.-.IMPERIAL OIL LIMITED 12
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I hear your frustration and I would like them to implement a warning/email/something to let people know when miles are going to expire. With that said, I don't think you have a valid case. Any of these court cases would be thrown out. Aeroplan's terms and conditions state that the miles expire 7 years after redemption. Terms and conditions of a membership are up to the member to read and understand.

Is it bad customer service by Aeroplan to not email/notify members of expiry? Yes. Are they required to? No. Stating it in the terms and conditions covers their a$$.

Those are my $0.02.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: air canada
Originally Posted by tinchote
I don't think that's the case.

One can find how many miles expire by 2013 by calling AE. They gave me my number a couple weeks ago.
Interesting _ i just called AE and was told " at the moment we do not have a tracking system in place, it will come closer to 2013"
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by wombat7
Interesting _ i just called AE and was told " at the moment we do not have a tracking system in place, it will come closer to 2013"
pretty simple, on Dec 24th 2013, they send out a mass email

Happy Holidays from Air Canada
A portion of your miles may or may not expire in one week
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Folks,

What about in the Personal Profile section...

Home > Your Account > Your Info > About You > Account Expiry Date
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by howi
Folks,

What about in the Personal Profile section...

Home > Your Account > Your Info > About You > Account Expiry Date
Welcome to ft. The discussion is about seven year mileage expiration.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
I'm flying to ZRH via FRA in a couple of weeks on AC/LH (LH tkt stock) and was wondering which *A program would you recommend I should earn the miles on. As far as FF *A programs go, I have AC (I currently have about 55,000 miles - so just enough for 2 r/t N. America Y class seats) and then I have CO, UA, US, BMI & LH cards with points varying from 500 to 16k. Which of these would you pick given Aeroplan's looming 2014 deadline and the fact Aeroplan miles aren't what they used to be? I've only been flying a couple of times a year, mainly transatlantic, over the past few years.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Welcome to ft. The discussion is about seven year mileage expiration.
Allvest,

Greetings.

Originally Posted by Aeroplan
When you stay active in Aeroplan, you make sure that your Aeroplan Miles don’t expire. All it takes is one transaction every 12 months to keep your account active, and you have a full 7 years from the time you accumulate the miles to redeem them for a reward.
So let say, I have accumulated 250,000 miles for 5 years, redeemed 115,000 last year and still have got 135,000 left. But I have continued to accumulate another 15,000 since last year... now I've got 150,000 in total. Does it mean ALL 150,000 will be expired within 2 years or just they are "tiered / pro-rated" according the original date of award e.g. the most recent 15,000 will still be valid up to 7 years?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by howi
So let say, I have accumulated 250,000 miles for 5 years, redeemed 115,000 last year and still have got 135,000 left. But I have continued to accumulate another 15,000 since last year... now I've got 150,000 in total. Does it mean ALL 150,000 will be expired within 2 years or just they are "tiered / pro-rated" according the original date of award e.g. the most recent 15,000 will still be valid up to 7 years?
In theory the 15K points will be valid for 7 years.

In practice we don't actually know. Aeroplan is seemingly unwilling to invest the time / effort into developing a system to increase transparency around the 7-year rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.