Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://avherald.com/h?article=4891a29d

Incident: Air Canada B763 at Toronto on Jun 28th 2015, damaged tyre on takeoff
So second time in a month an AC810 flight with tire problems during takeoff?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So second time in a month an AC810 flight with tire problems during takeoff?
Maybe YYZ Cut back on checking runways.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:10 pm

What the heck happened here?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/R...920Z/CYLW/CYYZ

Anyone? Flight left YQR later as ROU1974.

Last edited by pitz; Jul 19, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by pitz
What the heck happened here?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/R...920Z/CYLW/CYYZ

Anyone? Flight left YQR later as ROU1974.
If I were to guess I'd say a medical emergency just after passing Regina. Turned back and did a shuttle descent.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by pitz
what the heck happened here?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/r...920z/cylw/cyyz

anyone? Flight left yqr later as rou1974.

rmks/passenger no pulse
dly due medical divn yqr
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
rmks/passenger no pulse
dly due medical divn yqr
yikes... I even understand that code.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
rmks/passenger no pulse
dly due medical divn yqr
Ick. Been there, done that. Good thing I didn't crack a totally innappropriate Rouge joke.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Incident: Jazz DH8A at Halifax on Jul 12th 2015, engine shut down in flight

http://avherald.com/h?article=4894d485&opt=0

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Jul 15th 2015 00:17Z, last updated Wednesday, Jul 15th 2015 00:17Z

A Jazz de Havilland Dash 8-100, registration C-GANS performing flight QK-8802 from Halifax,NS to Sydney,NS (Canada) with 22 people on board, was climbing out of Halifax's runway 14 when the left hand engine (PW120) surged and torque fluctuated prompting the crew to shut the engine down as a precaution. The aircraft returned to Halifax for a safe landing about 20 minutes later.

The Canadian TSB reported that a pin had pushed back on a connector of the auto-feather system. The pin was reset and ground runs carried out.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/J...330Z/CYHZ/CYQY
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:23 pm

Incident: Georgian B190 at Toronto on Jun 28th 2015, runway incursion

http://avherald.com/h?article=489ad86b&opt=0

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Jul 22nd 2015 20:16Z, last updated Wednesday, Jul 22nd 2015 20:16Z

An Air Georgian Beech 1900D registration C-GORF was taxiing from Toronto,ON (Canada) Airport's Terminal 1 to the North Apron for maintenance. The captain, sole pilot on board, had received clearance to taxi via runway 33R, hold short runway 05 and acknowledged that instruction correctly.

A Westjet Boeing 737-800, registration C-GWJU performing flight WS-536 from Winnipeg,MB to Toronto,ON (Canada), was on short final, about 1nm before touchdown, when the Beech crossed the hold short line of runway 05. The pilot of the Beech noticed the Boeing only when he was already on the surface of runway 05 and decided to accelerate taxi. The B190 left the runway surface just when Boeing crossed the runway threshold, about 2570 meters/8430 feet before the intersection of runways 33R and 05.

The Canadian TSB reported that tower did not notice the runway incursion until the RIMCAS system issued an alert, when the Boeing was about 700 feet before the runway threshold.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
AC849: London-to-Toronto Air Canada flight delayed after toilets clog

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...clog-1.3173107

A Toronto-bound Air Canada flight from London's Heathrow airport turned around after more than two hours in the air after passengers complained of clogged toilets.

Air Canada flight AC849 turned around off the coast of Ireland for what the airline described in a statement as "an issue with some of [the plane's] lavatories."

The plane, which is now back in the air, is set to land at Pearson International at 10:32 p.m. ET, almost five hours after it was originally scheduled to land.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...clog-1.3173107

A Toronto-bound Air Canada flight from London's Heathrow airport turned around after more than two hours in the air after passengers complained of clogged toilets.

Air Canada flight AC849 turned around off the coast of Ireland for what the airline described in a statement as "an issue with some of [the plane's] lavatories."

The plane, which is now back in the air, is set to land at Pearson International at 10:32 p.m. ET, almost five hours after it was originally scheduled to land.
Is that not an issue a flight attendant could have resolved?

Like I don't like unclogging toilets either, but I imagine the cost of turning the flight around are staggering. Give me half of those costs, and I'll do it myself
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is that not an issue a flight attendant could have resolved?

Like I don't like unclogging toilets either, but I imagine the cost of turning the flight around are staggering. Give me half of those costs, and I'll do it myself
Really, you expect an FA to deal with a maintenance issue? Flight attendants are not aircraft maintenance engineers. The article says "clogged" but it was most like something other than just a "clogged" toilet.

The average joe-q-public person has no clue or idea on how to comprehend the technical details related to a maintenance issue and of course the CBC - being the stellar news outfit that they are - chose to use the simplest of terms to report on the issue.

The fact that more than one lavatory was inoperable and the fact that the pilot chose to return to LHR is a good indicator that the issue was something other than a simple "clogged" toilet.

Pilots don't just decide to turn a plane around, there will have been several back and forth discussions with maintenance before the decision is made to turn around.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona
Really, you expect an FA to deal with a maintenance issue?
No, I expect a FA to deal with a clogged toilet.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K
This was most likely a clogged lav system, not just the toilet.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bet you that they did try, but then realized it was a true engineering issue. Nobody wants to simply shrug their shoulders and then have a flight turnaround after 2 hours without trying at least.

Now, are you saying that if this was a BR flight that the FAs would have fixed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.