Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question re: mileage expiry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Question re: mileage expiry

Um I just signed up for Aeroplan a couple days ago, and I was curious about something: what actually counts as "a transaction" on my Aeroplan account? It says my miles expire if there was no transaction within the past 12 months.

Would transferring 1000 AMEX membership rewards points and converting them into aeroplan miles, once every, say 10 months, count? I have an emergency stash of about 7000 points in case I need to use it to stop miles from expiring.

Obviously flying with Air Canada or any star alliance partner would be considered a "transaction." Redeeming miles would be a "transaction." As will I guess donating miles, shoping at the Aeroplan estore (though I'm in the US so that's not really useful), etc. etc. Does buying miles count? I guess it would top up my account as well as keeping miles from expiring if it does.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:58 pm

A transaction would be any sort of mileage in, mileage out activity on your account.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 4:47 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, AC SE, UA 1K, IC Plat A
what i would usually do is to have the cibc aeroplan visa to keep the mile active
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
$3 worth of gas once a year at Esso will also keep the miles alive, although if you're not based in Canada that might be more difficult to do.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I live in the US. I've considered getting the Aeroplan Amex but I think that's only for Canadians if I'm not mistaken. So the next idea I've concocted is membership rewards points. Since my Amex is my credit card of choice I'll have a ton of them.

I guess I could get the Aeroplan mastercard.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:13 am

you can always use tropicana or quaker - i'm not sure how long the promotion is on for but I'm sure someone can give you a code and spare the 10 points...

http://www.breakfastcentral.ca/login.aspx

ok, its done the end of december, but it ran for a long time, i'm sure they'll come up with something similar
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RockoHorse
you can always use tropicana or quaker - i'm not sure how long the promotion is on for but I'm sure someone can give you a code and spare the 10 points...

http://www.breakfastcentral.ca/login.aspx

ok, its done the end of december, but it ran for a long time, i'm sure they'll come up with something similar
This promotion is only valid for Canadian residents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.