Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration of Aeroplan Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Robsawatsky

1) One would still gets a report indicating e-mails fails to deliver even from an automated e-mail system. I know that because I am in the IT field and I set up automatic e-mail system for my clients. Furthermore, one could set up a feature next time that you are re-sending to the same group of e-mails that some of the e-mails are not valid and it would prompt you if you still want to continue? I think that person is too lazy to check! May be Aeroplan should hire me as their consultant to set up their automatic e-mail system.
3) Agreed; my 4 hrs time included 70% of getting the busy dial-ton and 30% got through on the queued list.

Shareholder

About 40 to 60% of the population are moderate travelers who hoping to save enough miles to take their family to a dream vacation. With this changed of policy, their family dream vacation is demolish.

GreqWTravels

The web page is for the people who are thinking of becoming an AE. Its purpose is whenever one type in the word “Aeroplan” in the Google search, this web site wills shows up.

Getaround

I will not give another cent to Aeroplan!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:26 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Sorry but I really have tried searching for this - both on FT and AP sites

It says about a "transaction" in a 12 month period, being both earning or redemption to keep the account and miles earned. Now I look like using some AP miles for a February 2008 flight, which will be outside of my 12 month activity period (12 months is up in December 07) but I will be booking in the next few days - which will clearly be inside the 12 month period.

So does anyone know whether in this case the "activity" is the making of the booking or the redeeming of the miles when the flight is taken?. If the former then ^, if the latter then for me retaining the balance of the account.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Unhappy

OK smart guy, the period of May 15th to July 16th - in your technical estimation is this more or less than 2 months?

On May 15, 2007 I had received a letter from Mr. David Klein dated May 10, 2007 in regards to “Account expiry policy”. From the moment that I received this letter, I have less than two months to either by earning or redeeming a mile(s) in order to keep my account active.

Nonetheless, I went on a business trip on July 16, 2007 to US. After my trip to the US, I logged into the Aeroplan web site and checked my balance. My balance shows “0” (Zero). I been an Aeroplan member since 1997 and had earned more than 57,000 miles. It took me years to earned 57,000 miles and now it turns to “0”!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:59 am
ALW

Originally Posted by Shareholder
the industry as a whole has adopted the 7-year rolling backdating.
Which other programs have adopted this?

=aw
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Sammysllu
Robsawatsky

1) One would still gets a report indicating e-mails fails to deliver even from an automated e-mail system. I know that because I am in the IT field and I set up automatic e-mail system for my clients. Furthermore, one could set up a feature next time that you are re-sending to the same group of e-mails that some of the e-mails are not valid and it would prompt you if you still want to continue? I think that person is too lazy to check! May be Aeroplan should hire me as their consultant to set up their automatic e-mail system.
Well, a report would be generated somewhere but given the record of AP IT it is probably a file growing larger and larger everyday with no one or no process every looking at it. Also, AP has millions of members, it is highly unlikely there is any real-time, interactive oversight of the email system for automatically generated messages. It would require some relatively sophisticated email error-handling to filter and direct error messages properly (for AP IT that is).
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, AC, AGR, AS, BA, CX, DL, UA, WN, all non-elite
One relatively easy way I use to keep aeroplan miles from expiring is to convert goldpoints into aeroplan miles via points.com (if you're new to points.com, you can also get 10 miles as a sign-up bonus). The conversion rate is 20 goldpoints to 1 aeroplan mile. You can get 500 free goldpoints by updating your account every three months.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: AE, AA
Originally Posted by BOH

It says about a "transaction" in a 12 month period, being both earning or redemption to keep the account and miles earned. Now I look like using some AP miles for a February 2008 flight, which will be outside of my 12 month activity period (12 months is up in December 07) but I will be booking in the next few days - which will clearly be inside the 12 month period.

So does anyone know whether in this case the "activity" is the making of the booking or the redeeming of the miles when the flight is taken?. If the former then ^, if the latter then for me retaining the balance of the account.
As I understand, this will qualify as a transaction, thereby keeping your account active. But I would try to put some miles in, by methods others have suggested, or by the Tropicana promotion, etc. I signed my son up for points.com to get the bonus points, which worked just fine.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by BOH

It will be based on when the redemption takes place.

http://www.aeroplan.com/help/topic.do?id=2007

You still did not look hard enough.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
keeping miles from expiring

Originally Posted by RSWillson
As I understand, this will qualify as a transaction, thereby keeping your account active. But I would try to put some miles in, by methods others have suggested, or by the Tropicana promotion, etc. I signed my son up for points.com to get the bonus points, which worked just fine.
The last time this Expiring Miles discussion occurred, I mentioned this little idea which can keep two accounts current: transfer 1000 miles from one account to another (your spouse, child, sibling etc) and that qualifies as new activity in both accounts. It cost $20 but thats not much to keep two accounts from losing their miles.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: aeroplan, ba
Overseas member get a waiver on rules?

I have cousins in Hawaii who have been loyal to AC for years--they come here very infrequently (maybe once every 3 years) but have accumulated around 40,000 each.

They have never received any notification by snailmail about the expiry of the miles nor did they receive any email notification since they are older and do not have email.

So since I am a frequent flyer, I warned them myself about the pending expiry of miles in the spring. They did not know what to do because they couldn't afford to take a flight to activate it.

So I suggested that they send me their cards and I would buy gas to activate their account again,

But, they didn't have cards, so it took them weeks to get new cards to send to me.

As soon as I received their cards, I headed straight for Esso to fill up on both cards.

Today, I talked to her and she was in tears because she was informed that it wasn't in time, her miles had expired Aug 19th, so about 3 weeks too late.

So does anybody know of any overseas people who have successfully fought this? I know you guys say that it's their responsibility to keep up with the rules and everything but I don't know how they can do that when they live in Hawaii and don't receive any notification from Air Canada, snail mail or otherwise.

Any constructive suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
For others caught in this same situation, please note that you don't need your card to get points at Esso. If you know the number, the attendant can manually key it in. I've done it.

Can't your relatives pay the fee to have the miles reinstated?

Good luck
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: aeroplan, ba
Yes, I only found out after the fact that you can tell the gas attendant to manually key in their number after the fact.

Yes, they could pay the fee and one cent per mile but as many others have said in other forums, it sort of defeats the purpose of having accumulating the miles in the first place.

I just think that it is not as fair to the overseas members who do not have the benefit to any mail, snail mail or email about the notification. It seems so unfair for Aeroplan to drop this bomb and expect people to find out about it by seeing it on the website. I don't know about you guys, but I seldom go on the aeroplan website unless I am thinking of redeeming a reward.

This is similar to my airmiles account. I asked for a paper statement (quarterly I assumed) because I had trouble logging in to the website and they refused, saying that it is impossible to get a paper statement and that I had to do it on the web. I asked them what if I didn't have access to a computer (like my older relatives) and she sneered at me, 'come on, I'm sure they can find someone with a computer who can check for them'.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Sammysllu
Shareholder

About 40 to 60% of the population are moderate travelers who hoping to save enough miles to take their family to a dream vacation. With this changed of policy, their family dream vacation is demolish.
With all the ways of earning AE miles now, it hardly takes 7-years to earn enough miles to take the family on a trip. Moderate travelers or no. This may have been the case when AE miles were only earned flying or staying in hotels or renting cars, but it's a very differnt situation today. Unless you plan to fly everyone in business class, or to Asia and need 300,000-400,000 AE miles, even a trip to Disneyworld for four would still be earnable within the 7-year limit: that's under 15,000 miles a year, so a moderate traveler should be able to rack up at least 5,000 of those flying, another 1,000 renting a car or staying in a hotel, with the balance earned charging $750 a month to a regular AE credit card, $600 a month with an "accelerator" version. And that doesn't count special promos from the new retail partners like ESSO or TROPICANA/QUAKER et al. (And of course, signing up for an AE credit card generally yields the first 15K in bonus miles after the first year's renewal.)
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:14 pm
ALW

How long do points from Esso take to post?

Thanks!
=aw
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by ALW
How long do points from Esso take to post?

Thanks!
=aw
I have found them to be pretty quick. a day or three.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.