Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with Duct Tape Again

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Nothing, Delta Gold
Flying with Duct Tape Again

Flew over to LHR for the weekend with the missus. She on Aeroplan, me paid. Supposed to be on the 777 each way and both looking forward to the bed since we are only in London for 2 days. Got lucky out of YVR to YYZ as my 762 actually got upgraded to a 763. First time ever. Thinking that maybe my luck has changed we get to YYZ to find that the 777 has now become a 330 held together with duct tape. Oh well, coming home we can try that bed.

Now at LHR to find that no 777 for us this morning - another duct taped 330. Darn - should have slept last night instead of out partying.

And, by the way, since when do J award tickets not get access to the lounge in LHR? Had to show my card.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jclass
And, by the way, since when do J award tickets not get access to the lounge in LHR? Had to show my card.
They do have access to the lounge, sounds like more of the scanning pressures at the lounge. If you had wanted to hold your ground you could have insisted that it wasn't required, but probably not worth the effort if you had the card; however, others may disagree.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a J boarding pass, I was not asked for my card at the London lounge last week.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I hope someone at AC is taking note of this and actually planning on doing something about it rather than waiting to XM the a/c. Seriously some of the 763's AC has you would expect to see flying in third world countries, it's getting quite sad. And the only excuse that AC has is that they are very slowly converting them. Given the lack of upkeep that they do I give the new flat beds about 2 years before they start falling apart.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
I hope someone at AC is taking note of this and actually planning on doing something about it rather than waiting to XM the a/c. Seriously some of the 763's AC has you would expect to see flying in third world countries, it's getting quite sad. And the only excuse that AC has is that they are very slowly converting them. Given the lack of upkeep that they do I give the new flat beds about 2 years before they start falling apart.
Yeap ^

As I've said on many threads, if and when AC completes the XM program it will be time to look at new interiors as they will be dated and the seats will be busted.

Also, I hope they don't plan on launching Madrid service next year using non-XM'd 763's because that's no way to set a good first impression.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking duct tape for the 330s is somewhat unfair. These are fairly new planes. True that the seats may be getting a bit old, and it's possibly true that AC does not bother with them anymore.

OTOH, the 763 is another story. Even with new interiors, the planes themselves are getting old. Especially visible from the passenger standpoint: the toilets.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

The missus who only flys about 3 times per year was actually the one who pointed out the duct tape on both 330s. It was not only the seats, but one overhead bin that was duct taped shut as well as the paper towel dispenser in one lav.

Oh yea, another downgrade, the 763 out of YYZ this afternoon was changed to a 762 (with more duct tape on the carpet, the foot rest and one of the galley curtains).
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN
Flew over to LHR for the weekend with the missus. She on Aeroplan, me paid. Supposed to be on the 777 each way and both looking forward to the bed since we are only in London for 2 days. Got lucky out of YVR to YYZ as my 762 actually got upgraded to a 763. First time ever. Thinking that maybe my luck has changed we get to YYZ to find that the 777 has now become a 330 held together with duct tape. Oh well, coming home we can try that bed.

Now at LHR to find that no 777 for us this morning - another duct taped 330. Darn - should have slept last night instead of out partying.

duct tape? are you talking abou the cabin?

when airlines use 'duct tape' on the wings/fuselage, its not actually duct tape, but it looks the same to the average observer.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Not on the wings, but inside the cabin. Both duct tape and masking tape was evident. Definitely not crucial to the structural integrity of the aircraft, but seeing tape holding things together inside does not give one confidence about temporary fixes that may be applied in other areas that are crucial.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not on the wings, but inside the cabin. Both duct tape and masking tape was evident. Definitely not crucial to the structural integrity of the aircraft, but seeing tape holding things together inside does not give one confidence about temporary fixes that may be applied in other areas that are crucial.
Still, these are fairly new planes. Duct tape in the cabin, given that the interiors are going to be redone presumably soon, is not such a big deal.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Stranger
Still, these are fairly new planes. Duct tape in the cabin, given that the interiors are going to be redone presumably soon, is not such a big deal.
you could say the same about non-functioning IFE and non-reclining seats too. But at the end of the day, customers still pay money for these things are their expectations are not met. The fact that their fleet is being XM'd is hardly an excuse IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Within my family, the first question we ask eachother after someone has flown AC is "did you get a Duct tape plane?" The answer is yes about 40% of the time.

I actually don't even mind the duct tape anymore.

Cheers,
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Yea, but with this mentality, how long is going to be before we start seeing duct tape in the new XMed aircraft.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:12 pm

... Both duct tape and masking tape was evident....
Masking tape will remain free as they are introducing duct tape now and will charge for it later. It will be another selection you can purchase once they have introduced it on all their planes.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
Masking tape will remain free as they are introducing duct tape now and will charge for it later. It will be another selection you can purchase once they have introduced it on all their planes.
In all colours? Or just the regular grey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.