Flying with Duct Tape Again

Old Oct 16, 07, 1:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Programs: AC Nothing, Delta Gold
Posts: 166
Flying with Duct Tape Again

Flew over to LHR for the weekend with the missus. She on Aeroplan, me paid. Supposed to be on the 777 each way and both looking forward to the bed since we are only in London for 2 days. Got lucky out of YVR to YYZ as my 762 actually got upgraded to a 763. First time ever. Thinking that maybe my luck has changed we get to YYZ to find that the 777 has now become a 330 held together with duct tape. Oh well, coming home we can try that bed.

Now at LHR to find that no 777 for us this morning - another duct taped 330. Darn - should have slept last night instead of out partying.

And, by the way, since when do J award tickets not get access to the lounge in LHR? Had to show my card.
Jclass is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 4:18 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: YYZ / IAH
Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
Posts: 3,010
Originally Posted by Jclass View Post
And, by the way, since when do J award tickets not get access to the lounge in LHR? Had to show my card.
They do have access to the lounge, sounds like more of the scanning pressures at the lounge. If you had wanted to hold your ground you could have insisted that it wasn't required, but probably not worth the effort if you had the card; however, others may disagree.
yyzgigi is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 7:46 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,584
With a J boarding pass, I was not asked for my card at the London lounge last week.
Stranger is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 2:25 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
I hope someone at AC is taking note of this and actually planning on doing something about it rather than waiting to XM the a/c. Seriously some of the 763's AC has you would expect to see flying in third world countries, it's getting quite sad. And the only excuse that AC has is that they are very slowly converting them. Given the lack of upkeep that they do I give the new flat beds about 2 years before they start falling apart.
shore9 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 4:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
I hope someone at AC is taking note of this and actually planning on doing something about it rather than waiting to XM the a/c. Seriously some of the 763's AC has you would expect to see flying in third world countries, it's getting quite sad. And the only excuse that AC has is that they are very slowly converting them. Given the lack of upkeep that they do I give the new flat beds about 2 years before they start falling apart.
Yeap

As I've said on many threads, if and when AC completes the XM program it will be time to look at new interiors as they will be dated and the seats will be busted.

Also, I hope they don't plan on launching Madrid service next year using non-XM'd 763's because that's no way to set a good first impression.
imverge is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 4:45 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,584
Talking duct tape for the 330s is somewhat unfair. These are fairly new planes. True that the seats may be getting a bit old, and it's possibly true that AC does not bother with them anymore.

OTOH, the 763 is another story. Even with new interiors, the planes themselves are getting old. Especially visible from the passenger standpoint: the toilets.
Stranger is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 10:05 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Programs: AC Nothing, Delta Gold
Posts: 166
The missus who only flys about 3 times per year was actually the one who pointed out the duct tape on both 330s. It was not only the seats, but one overhead bin that was duct taped shut as well as the paper towel dispenser in one lav.

Oh yea, another downgrade, the 763 out of YYZ this afternoon was changed to a 762 (with more duct tape on the carpet, the foot rest and one of the galley curtains).
Jclass is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 1:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: AEROPLAN
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by Jclass View Post
Flew over to LHR for the weekend with the missus. She on Aeroplan, me paid. Supposed to be on the 777 each way and both looking forward to the bed since we are only in London for 2 days. Got lucky out of YVR to YYZ as my 762 actually got upgraded to a 763. First time ever. Thinking that maybe my luck has changed we get to YYZ to find that the 777 has now become a 330 held together with duct tape. Oh well, coming home we can try that bed.

Now at LHR to find that no 777 for us this morning - another duct taped 330. Darn - should have slept last night instead of out partying.

And, by the way, since when do J award tickets not get access to the lounge in LHR? Had to show my card.

duct tape? are you talking abou the cabin?

when airlines use 'duct tape' on the wings/fuselage, its not actually duct tape, but it looks the same to the average observer.
st7860 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 3:34 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Programs: AC Nothing, Delta Gold
Posts: 166
Not on the wings, but inside the cabin. Both duct tape and masking tape was evident. Definitely not crucial to the structural integrity of the aircraft, but seeing tape holding things together inside does not give one confidence about temporary fixes that may be applied in other areas that are crucial.
Jclass is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 5:52 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,584
Originally Posted by Jclass View Post
Not on the wings, but inside the cabin. Both duct tape and masking tape was evident. Definitely not crucial to the structural integrity of the aircraft, but seeing tape holding things together inside does not give one confidence about temporary fixes that may be applied in other areas that are crucial.
Still, these are fairly new planes. Duct tape in the cabin, given that the interiors are going to be redone presumably soon, is not such a big deal.
Stranger is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 5:55 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Still, these are fairly new planes. Duct tape in the cabin, given that the interiors are going to be redone presumably soon, is not such a big deal.
you could say the same about non-functioning IFE and non-reclining seats too. But at the end of the day, customers still pay money for these things are their expectations are not met. The fact that their fleet is being XM'd is hardly an excuse IMO.
shore9 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 07, 5:56 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
Within my family, the first question we ask eachother after someone has flown AC is "did you get a Duct tape plane?" The answer is yes about 40% of the time.

I actually don't even mind the duct tape anymore.

Cheers,
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Oct 18, 07, 1:42 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Programs: AC Nothing, Delta Gold
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Still, these are fairly new planes. Duct tape in the cabin, given that the interiors are going to be redone presumably soon, is not such a big deal.
Yea, but with this mentality, how long is going to be before we start seeing duct tape in the new XMed aircraft.
Jclass is offline  
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YEG - No Particular Loyalty Anymore
Posts: 3,609
Originally Posted by Jclass View Post
... Both duct tape and masking tape was evident....
Masking tape will remain free as they are introducing duct tape now and will charge for it later. It will be another selection you can purchase once they have introduced it on all their planes.
ProudEdmontonian is offline  
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:36 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,833
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian View Post
Masking tape will remain free as they are introducing duct tape now and will charge for it later. It will be another selection you can purchase once they have introduced it on all their planes.
In all colours? Or just the regular grey?
tcook052 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread