Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles to be offerred on Porter Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Miles to be offerred on Porter Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:32 am

I don't think it will happen because I am sure there are exclusive agreements in place. Not to say they can't be changed or broken but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Examples: CIBC is the "banking" partner Amex is the "charge card partner" Esso the "gas" partner. I am sure these companies have in their contract/agreement with AP that they have exclusive offering of service/products that earn AP miles. AC would have the exact agreement.

I am sure Amex and CIBC complained to AP about MBNA as we all know you are able to transfer points to AP from SPG, that is why the points have to be manually transfered.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
First Air and Canadian North both offer AE points (non-Q)
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Okay, when is Porter starting flights to EWR?
You can ask that on the Porter thread in the Other Airlines forum
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
You can ask that on the Porter thread in the Other Airlines forum
PB is spot on. Porter destinations and the Porter experience can be discussed on the Other North and South American Airlines forum.

This topic is about if Aeroplan points are going to be offered on Porter.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by acysb87
Yet Bearskin,an Air Canada/Jazz competitor gives Aeroplan points
And I just found out yesterday that it's possible to redeem AP points for flights on Bearskin too. 15k for a short haul.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I thought there was a competition bureau ruling that AE could not restrict the purchase of AE miles from small airlines. I can't recall when this came up, but there were threads on this subject shortly after the merger, and one of the new startups was thinking of offering AE miles.
I seem to remember this too. In fact, wasn't there a dispute with the now defunct Royal Airlines (I think...though it was possibly a different "scheduled charter" carrier) saying they had reached an agreement to give out AE miles. I think they even advertised it - like the date it was starting - and AE said that they never agreed to this and sued....something like that. I remember something like this shortly after the competition bureau ruling.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I seem to remember this too. In fact, wasn't there a dispute with the now defunct Royal Airlines (I think...though it was possibly a different "scheduled charter" carrier) saying they had reached an agreement to give out AE miles. I think they even advertised it - like the date it was starting - and AE said that they never agreed to this and sued....something like that. I remember something like this shortly after the competition bureau ruling.
Cue flashback music:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11335

Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:20 pm

I can see automated AP credit being a problem for Porter but what's to stop them from buying incentive AP vouchers in bulk and handing them out to passengers, who can then log into their AP account and deposit them?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by imverge
I can see automated AP credit being a problem for Porter but what's to stop them from buying incentive AP vouchers in bulk and handing them out to passengers, who can then log into their AP account and deposit them?
Common sense?

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 10, 2007 at 9:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:04 pm
ALW

If AC has an exclusive with AP in its industry, that probably includes buying incentive vouchers?

=aw
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by ALW
If AC has an exclusive with AP in its industry, that probably includes buying incentive vouchers?

=aw
Depends which company is buying the vouchers and which company is handing them out. Deluce caught AC with their pants down once before.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
I indeed heard this rumour and wanted to see if there was anything to it. I wouldn't put it past Deluce to try this using Aeroplan's loyalty program.

I too have fund some interesting information in this thread that I wasn't aware of. Don't assume to know my intentions or accuse me of poor behaviour. My wife does a good enough job of that.

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 11, 2007 at 4:33 pm Reason: off topic removed
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:34 pm

It would be interesting to see if Porter could challenge AP in awarding AP miles. But like I said I'm sure AP can't stop Porter if they wanted to buy AP Deposit vouchers in bulk which could be handed out to Porter passengers who pay a higher fare category. @:-)

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 11, 2007 at 4:33 pm Reason: off topic removed
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
The real kicker would be if aeroplan pays out in Porter flights. Hey, it's just merchandise, like 50 downloadable songs or gift certificates, right?

(Wager: not happening.)
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by imverge
what's to stop them from buying incentive AP vouchers in bulk and handing them out to passengers, who can then log into their AP account and deposit them?
I can see them doing this as a short term promotional stunt but not as a long term thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.