Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles to be offerred on Porter Flights?

Old Oct 10, 07, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, UA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum

I heard some interesting about Porter potentially offerring AE miles on their flights. I can't tell you where I heard it from as I don't want to get anyone in trouble. (May have been a flight attendant. )

It raises an interesting question, when AC goes about spinning off all their subsidiaries, are they going to have exclusive contracts with AE ensure that points cannot be sold to any competing airline?

Or

Would Porter be in a position to purchase points online like any other business and offer AE points to their customers. This way, they could contract out their frequent flyer program to AE.

I thought it was very interesting to say the least...
Old Oct 10, 07, 7:24 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Is this April 1?
Old Oct 10, 07, 7:38 am
Original Poster

There are other small airlines that offer AE miles and no codeshare such as Bearskin. It raises an interesting question of how far AE will go to sell points.
Old Oct 10, 07, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stinger View Post
...... It raises an interesting question of how far AE will go to sell points.
I look at how far AE will not go to make their customers happy.(in my case IKK comes to mind)
Old Oct 10, 07, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
I look at how far AE will not go to make their customers happy.(in my case IKK comes to mind)
How far they will go to make their customers unhappy?
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:00 am

AC has an exclusivity clause in its Capacity Purchase Agreement.

From the AC IPO prospectus:

"The Aeroplan CPSA prevents any other transportation business that competes with Air Canada (other than Star Alliance member airlines) from participating in the Aeroplan program...

Page 47.

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 10, 07 at 12:33 pm Reason: off topic removed
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
AC has an exclusivity clause in its Capacity Purchase Agreement.

From the AC IPO prospectus:

"The Aeroplan CPSA prevents any other transportation business that competes with Air Canada (other than Star Alliance member airlines) from participating in the Aeroplan program...

Page 47.
Yet Bearskin,an Air Canada/Jazz competitor gives Aeroplan points

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 10, 07 at 12:33 pm Reason: removed quote removed
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
Yet Bearskin,an Air Canada/Jazz competitor gives Aeroplan points
AC can waive exclusivity, and past member partner rights were grandfathered. But as for Porter, the clause is quite explicit.
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
AC can waive exclusivity, and past member partner rights were grandfathered. But as for Porter, the clause is quite explicit.
And contracts can change as sub's are spun off. They could also purchase points under a different company, non-transport related and give out to these aeronotes.

https://www.aeroplan.com/business_so...s/aeronotes.do

Maybe some more legal wrangling in the future. AP says on it's own site that this is a way of contracting out your loyalty program. This might be something Deluce will be interested in.

If they offer it to Bearskin, how long till they sell their soul again, albeit another devil...
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
I thought there was a competition bureau ruling that AE could not restrict the purchase of AE miles from small airlines. I can't recall when this came up, but there were threads on this subject shortly after the merger, and one of the new startups was thinking of offering AE miles.
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
I thought there was a competition bureau ruling that AE could not restrict the purchase of AE miles from small airlines. I can't recall when this came up, but there were threads on this subject shortly after the merger, and one of the new startups was thinking of offering AE miles.
Air Canada agreed at the time of the merger to allow other airlines access to Aeroplan under certain conditions, one being that they had to be small (there was some sort of revenue cap). That was for a three year period beginning in 2000. After 2003, AC has been under no obligation to provide access to competitors. Royal, to my knowledge, was the only airline that used the provision, but perhaps this is where Bearskin got in.
Old Oct 10, 07, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by stinger View Post
The last time I checked, AC doesn't compete with Porter on YTZ-YUL/YOW. Have you forgotten so soon. I guess there are always loop holes.

And Toronto is co-terminaled in the airline world. YTZ and YYZ would be one and the same for defining competition. Also ,you would do well to tell Mr. Deluce to stop wasting his money on ads touting the advantages of flying downtown vs using Pearson. And you better tell Imverge that prices won't fall when Porter flies to Newark because Porter doesn't compete with AC.

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 10, 07 at 12:27 pm Reason: off topic removed
Old Oct 10, 07, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
When AC bought CP I do recall that competition bureau ruling. In fact Air Transat was a AP redemption and earning participant. So it could happen.
Old Oct 10, 07, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the idea that other airlines can be part of AE.It has certainly helped when AC has moved me to a Bearskin flight when AC cancel.

A whole 500 non Q miles points .
Old Oct 10, 07, 10:32 am
Original Poster

If PD is able to offer AE miles it may also make a difference as well as they will have to price themselves accordingly.

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 10, 07 at 12:31 pm Reason: off topic removed

Search this Thread