Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does an Aeroplan award on AC only allow both an open jaw and a stopover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I could not find the answer to this question on the Aeroplan web site. I am sure that this has been mentioned in this forum - but I could not find it with the search function.

The question is whether an Aeroplan award will allow for both a stopover and an open jaw for an AC only flight within North America. I am thinking of this itinerary:

YOW-YYZ stopover YYZ
YYZ-PHX
LAS-YOW

Thanks.

FlyerGoldII
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:09 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I could not find the answer to this question on the Aeroplan web site.
http://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_co...ewardaircanada
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Thanks, for the information. I guess that the Aeroplan web site has answered my question, and the answer is "no". I can only (for a North American award) have either the open jaw, or the stopover.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Thanks, for the information. I guess that the Aeroplan web site has answered my question, and the answer is "no". I can only (for a North American award) have either the open jaw, or the stopover.
Actually, according to the T + C's, for awards from Canada to the Continental US, you can have two stopovers, or one stopover and one open jaw. However, it's not clear if the stopover(s) all have to be in the US. This looks to me like one stopover and one open jaw (stopover in YYZ, open jaw YOW - PHX and LAS - YOW).

You also may not be able to book this on the web site, so you might want to talk to an Aeroplan agent, and be sure to find one that knows the system to be able to do this.

You might have to also check about open-jaw validity returning from points further away then your original destination. I know I had trouble with this a few years ago, but perhaps the rule has changed. I'm not sure if PHX or LAS is further from YOW - it might be close. But I remember having problems trying to book an AP open jaw YVR - EWR and returning PHL - YVR because of this issue - I had to switch around, and go to PHL first since it was farther from YVR.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Looking at the link:

http://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_co...rdstaralliance

it is confusing about a Star Alliance award from Canada to USA. It is obvious that no stopovers, in addition to the point of turnaround, are allowed. However, the last statement does say that an open jaw is allowed, in addition to the allowable stopover (which is allowed for intercontinental travel). This last statement can be interpreted in 2 ways - either it is only allowed, if the stopover is allowed, or or it is allowed in addition to the allowable stopover (being either zero or one, depending on the flight itinerary). What is the correct interpretation?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I read it as saying that open jaw is always permitted on any itinerary,
and that has been my experience as well.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I believe you can have an additional open jaw ONLY if the award permits a stopover.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I believe you can have an additional open jaw ONLY if the award permits a stopover.
NA awards on AC do permit stopover if using AE miles.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I can say that a North American Star Alliance award with Aeroplan does allow an open jaw.

I booked an open jaw award yesterday for my family and for myself in Nov: YOW-PHX outbound; LAS-YOW inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.