Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seatback Video and other forms of Torture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

With the new upgraded Seatback Video I hear a lot of people gushing how great they are. I don't believe those people have actually used the new sets.

A) Operating them requires a hard hit or push. Many people had trouble getting them to work properly since the pressure has to be just right. Also,it is enough to move the seat in front of you when you push/hit it - I hope you are not behind me next flight or I am not in front of some energetic kid.

B) Of course the video selection on Air Canada is unbelievably bad - on a recent flight from Asia there was only ONE Family listed movie but of course there were 30 or so Avant-Garde, Foreign, Canadian, French Language Movies - none of which anybody is interested in - is this Governnment sponsored brainwashing? The two 'Classic' movies seemed to date from the 1990's - was that a classic movie period?

C) At night when you want to sleep, not only is your own Video glaring relentlessly at you but dozens of other screens are now illuminating the whole cabin. Why is there not a simple OFF button so we can turn them off.
Some of us jammed the barf bags into the crevices and tried to block the light that way.

D) On that same flight, a new 777, however, our overhead lights could not be turned off on my side, by the cabin crew and stayed on all night. Nice to know the electrics are functioning so well they can't be turned off.

E) Talking about electrics, on the flight out, a high pitched mechanical whining sound suddenly started up right under my seat. A neighbouring passenger (Engineering type) knew enough to be very concerned and said this was an alarming sound (it was). He called the steward and we all listened to the this whiny grinding sound. For a long 10 minutes the steward and other cabin staff seemed completely at a loss and finally had to get the pilot himself to come and look. The pilot pronounced that ' It was OK' - 'When the gas tank runs dry the pump makes that kind of noise if it isn't turned off'. Incredible! Is this business as normal? What if we had not complained? Would the pump just have stayed on until something else happened?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
C) Go into the brightness settings (button at the bottom). From there, you will see a "Turn Screen Off" option. I agree though, I was on a red-eye the other day and I went and turned off the empty seats' screens myself. If they're not used for 30 minutes they should shut off or turn to lowest brightness automatically!

However, I also got to use the new map on a recent flight and I love it! I think it's a huge improvement.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:04 pm

Maybe these people have actually used the new seats... and others are just bashing them because they

A) can't quite figure out that you need push it just with the right amount of pressure. You can figure out this correct amount of pressure by tapping at it a few times.

B) Of course it's hard to please everyone. But did you actually look what is offered in the avant-garde section? On my last flight, they had The Lookout, and The Waitress. And they were both good, imo. Obviously, the label 'avant-garde' was enough to throw you off.
I will agree that the 'Classic' section is anything but classic, and the movies there were really lame.
Also, you left out the 'Hollywood' section, which is where most people will find the movie they want to watch (I'm just guesing here, since that's where they had the biggest selection).
And again, if family only had one lousy selection, maybe it's because they also had "Shrek 3" in the Hollywood section.

C) Yes, you can turn the screen off, ever thought of asking a flight attendant? They are there help you if "there's anything they can do to make your flight more enjoyable". And if the screen from two rows ahead is really bothering you, then might I suggest those eye-patch/covers (what are they called anyway?). You can usually buy them at the airport too, in case you forget beforehand.

D) that really sucks that the lights were on the whole flight. That can really mess up your sleep schedule if you plan on sleeping on the flight. I can see how this ruined your flight.

E) that's also annoying. was the flight full? if the pilot was "okay" with it, I would just ask to change seats to get away from the noise

for myself, I usually bring a couple of movies that I really want to watch and I watch them on my laptop.
Because as you may also have noticed on the 777 that you flew, they also now have power outlets! So you can bring your personal DVD player, or laptop.
I prefer this because I can pick the movie beforehand, I get a bigger screen, and better sound.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE
"This feature is currently not available." appears each time when I select "News" or the Flight Map. Am I just unlucky or have they not yet managed to put on any news?

Also, I have to agree that the video selection is quite sad. It must be quite expensive to license relevant movies, etc. They used to have "The Office" a few months back but now only the french version is available.

Also, on some aircraft the menu is screwed up - instead of picking genres, the menu lists "Channel 1", "Channel 2", "Channel 3", etc. etc. and behind each channel there is a selection of maybe one or two movies of a seemingly random genre. Quite annoying!

Overall, it's a great new system, I'm sure. But without content, unfortunately!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K Hilton Diamond
12v power? Yes! I just dont understand which commy sun of a gun convinced the airline industry to do that dumb empower crap! so much better!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:40 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
If you're ever behind me and are pushing so hard on the back of my seat that it jostels me, I can guarantee you that I will give you an evil stare and teach you how to push lightly on the screen.

It feels like I'm experiencing terrible turbulance when a VBIT behind me doesn't have the patience to use the device properly. It seems the older generation still doesn't know how to properly use touch screens!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kone
B) Of course it's hard to please everyone. But did you actually look what is offered in the avant-garde section? On my last flight, they had The Lookout, and The Waitress. And they were both good, imo. Obviously, the label 'avant-garde' was enough to throw you off.
I agree, I found the Avant garde section to have better movies than the hollywood section!

cheers,
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:21 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
12v power? Yes! I just dont understand which commy sun of a gun convinced the airline industry to do that dumb empower crap! so much better!
Umm... to standardize all the possible different outlets and voltages from around the world... ?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:08 am

Unless there was something wrong with your screen, you don't have to push "hard." You have to touch lightly, then wait. And by wait, I mean up to several seconds.

The selection of movies is pretty sad however. There's been nothing on that I either haven't seen already or would want to see. I know people keep saying that the selection will get better once they start charging, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:04 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
The OP was on a 777, which has standard 110V sockets.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 8:54 am
Original Poster

A few responses to some of the comments.
A) Yes, I did eventually figure out a way to turn off the light. However, the flight attendants did not know how to do this when I asked them. Also, when an announcement comes on, the screen springs back to life.
B) Getting the pressure 'just right' is not user-friendly and still involves someone pushing on the seat in front of them. My wife is quite small but her actions were still moving the seat in front of her slightly - anybody in front is eventually going to notice this and tire of it.
C) The fuel pump issue: I failed to mention that the pilot then went somewhere and did in fact turn the pump off. This is what is alarming: Why did they not already know in the cockpit?
D) Additionally, with touch screens: This means that we have to sit there with our arm outstretched pushing on a screen for many minutes - some people may find this tiring or certainly not comfortable - again, not horrific but not user-friendly either.
E) Hollywood - yes, there were Hollywood movies - most of them were C, sometime B movies - on any flight, I am lucky to find one A movie that is worth seeing - Hollywood turns out such formulaic, predictable garbage.
F) If Air Canada starts charging for entertainment, I will first change to Cathay Pacific once they get direct flights going again from YYZ-HKG. However, if I have to bring my own DVD player - this will then add more electronic equipment to lug around on one's travels - do airlines and authorities really want that?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:26 am
ALW

I found the Avant garde section to have better movies than the hollywood section!
Hardly surprising, that sums up the movie industry in general.

this will then add more electronic equipment to lug around on one's travels - do airlines and authorities really want that?
Our inconvenience hardly seems a high priority for them in most things.

=aw
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by Denizen
B) . . . there was only ONE Family listed movie but of course there were 30 or so Avant-Garde, Foreign, Canadian, French Language Movies
E) Hollywood - yes, there were Hollywood movies - most of them were C, sometime B movies - on any flight, I am lucky to find one A movie that is worth seeing - Hollywood turns out such formulaic, predictable garbage.
So what movies where you looking to find????
I find the better movies are in the "Avant-Garde, foreign, Canadian" section.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: AC Elite
One can always bring a book onboard.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
...French Language Movies - none of which anybody is interested in - is this Governnment sponsored brainwashing?
Kinda says it all about the OP. Must be a government plot, just like the metric system!

BTW movies will not be charged for on other than NAmerican flights over 3-1/2 hours, so you don't have to switch to CX. And those that will cost you in the future are likely to be more "Hollywood crap".

Yes, there are kinks to be worked out with this Thales system, but AC wanted the state of the art and that was it. Such systems always have software glitches and that's what befallen this system. But after all te complaints about the old single channel system AC had to adopt something that would have a long lifespan and got ahead of the curb.

Guess I've been lucky and never had any major problems with the system. My biggest complaint is the nannies of the air shutting the system down far too soon before landing so I always miss the last bits of a feature. (I find myself taping the last bit of more movies when they show up on The Movie Network, so I can see the endings.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.