Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aircraft Change Frustration... HKG-YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Thought you would all enjoy this one...

Recently traveled on AC16 from HKG-YYZ and had the following sequence of events occur:

1. Being a good FTer, book my award travel 355 days out, or as soon as SQ loaded the YVR-SIN-HKG portion of my wedding/honeymoon itinerary.

AC16 = A345, Seats 12AC

2. After reading a thread a while back, notice that a 777 is on the route for that day, confirm with AP and switch my seats to be bulkhead, as row 13 does not exist on the 777s.

AC16 = 777, Seats 18AC (one of few sets of 2 in Y)

3. Show up at HKG for my flight, only to find that the aircraft has been switched back to a A345 and not only is my bulkhead not there, but a now get the pleasure of starring at a fully reclined seat for 14.5 hours and someones hands (note - if you are a person who thinks it is cool to put your hands behind your head and tangle them over your seat, please stop

Not much of a complaint, more annoying than anything. Now the service, that is another matter... as someone who flys in NA mainly, I was shocked at the service difference between SQ (YVR-SIN) and AC... looks like I will plan my cross-ocean travel better next time.

Other highlight of the trip, was the flight attendants openly mocking the YYZ video that describes the MLL as a 'haven'... can't say you would EVER see that sort of attitute from some of the other world-class airlines.

All and all, honeymoon worked out well, 9 flights no delays, and I made it home in one piece.

T.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by AskTravis
as someone who flys in NA mainly, I was shocked at the service difference between SQ (YVR-SIN) and AC... looks like I will plan my cross-ocean travel better next time.
Yes, the difference in service is usually quite noticeable--not to mention the IFE, catering, etc. The arrival of AC's much-vaunted new aircraft unfortunately won't change much overall.

All and all, honeymoon worked out well, 9 flights no delays, and I made it home in one piece.
And congratulations!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
That sounds like you suffered a heartless downgauging. You should ask for a refund
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
That sounds like you suffered a heartless downgauging. You should ask for a refund
Indeed, dare one say this case presents all the hallmarks of Another Fine Debacle ? We'll add it to the series - next to the Aeroplan Posting Debacle, the Aeroplan Student Debacle, the AP Missing Credit Debacle, The Debacle of the Wine-Stained Shirt, The Debacle of the Starving J Passengers, The Debacle of the Non-Status Upgrade, Ken Haamer and the Debacle of the Duct-Taped Stair Rail, A Royal Debacle, The Debacle of the Wandering Child (oh wait that was Westjet wasn't it), The Curious Debacle of the Dog in the Night-time, The Singular Debacle of AC7666 and the Tunnel of Doom, Tiny Tim's Air Canada Christmas Debacle, &c &c ...
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:05 pm

I like. We should add another alternative to OT, being DB for Debacle. Will make filtering for the juicy fights easier.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ylwae
Yes, the difference in service is usually quite noticeable--not to mention the IFE, catering, etc. The arrival of AC's much-vaunted new aircraft unfortunately won't change much overall.

It comes down to crew atitutude, training and , er, care?

People will lament on the fact that asian airlines are different. If that is so, then why is CX's YVR based crew doing so well? They're all Canadian guys/girls, they were all trained (in fact) on AC facilities in YVR, are part of CUPE, and they have been able to attain a very level of service.

So why doesn't AC have the same attitude?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AskTravis

Other highlight of the trip, was the flight attendants openly mocking the YYZ video that describes the MLL as a 'haven'... can't say you would EVER see that sort of attitute from some of the other world-class airlines.

T.
Actually, if they're comparing to airlines they're more competitive with - the other airlines from North America as opposed to those from Asia, then MLL's at YYZ are a heaven. Try UA's Red Carpet Club at ORD (espeically in T2) or SFO, or US's lounges in CLT. Then tell me what you think of the level of comfort compared to MLL's. Not to mention the severe lack of proper snacks and alcohol, which you need to pay for.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
It comes down to crew atitutude, training and , er, care?

People will lament on the fact that asian airlines are different. If that is so, then why is CX's YVR based crew doing so well? They're all Canadian guys/girls, they were all trained (in fact) on AC facilities in YVR, are part of CUPE, and they have been able to attain a very level of service.

So why doesn't AC have the same attitude?
Last year, whilst on business in HKG, I was invited to visit Cathay City and was given a presentation on CX values which I made the following notes:

- Our vision is to make CX the most admired airline in the world

- Ensuring safety comes first

- Providing Service Straight From the Heart

- Encouraging product leadership

- Delivering superior financial returns

- Providing rewarding career opportunities

Any one able to share AC's vision and staff training?

Last edited by Clipper801; Sep 19, 2007 at 8:39 pm
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Clipper801

Oh, I'm so tempted....
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:51 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
The contempt and disdain for the passengers comes straight from the top. Until this changes one can't expect the front line staff to change. If you want them to show respect they have to be respected. Having said that, it works both ways: unions take note.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
- Ensuring safety comes first
- Delivering superior financial returns
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:08 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
You honeymooned in YYZ! What sort of romantic escape was that?

AC suffer at the moment from product placement and availability. They have the gear but just not enough of it - thus your disappointment at seeing an A340. They should have started their upgrades long ago, but resisted due to their dire financial state. They now are playing catch-up only to find that many other airlines are offering far superior service and product to what AC are touting.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
They now are playing catch-up only to find that many other airlines are offering far superior service and product to what AC are touting.
Who is offering that superior product? Across the pacific, no one flying from Canada offers a better product. Even SQ's good svc does not compensate for those crappy angled j-class seats.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Product covers the gamut, from hard physical product such as seats and catering, to soft product such as inflight service, lounge service, premium check-in, to extended product, including bonus miles, snooty smugness, and all those things you feel for being in front.

Hummers aren't exactly comfortable rides, but you won't find unhappy hummer owners.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:40 am

I guess everyone has his or her own perspective. For me, food and seat are the most important elements. I avoid slanty seats at all costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.