Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: LAX MLL & *A Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:11 am

Thought I would stop by to check out the Air NZ lounge on Sunday afternoon (Mar 22) while flying back to YYC. Great lounge, quiet overall, great sandwiches, awesome beverage selection (especially the kiwi beer) and nice washrooms & showers available.

Whenever in LAX, I'll probably be visiting the Air NZ lounge over the MLL next door.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Push the button !!!

I shall now break the most frequently broken rule of AC forum etiquette - and probably draw a severe rebuke from zorn - by posting a largely pointless second-hand customer service story which happened to a colleague of mine at the LAX MLL last week. My only excuse for doing this is that I thought it was mildly amusing.

My colleague, whom I shall call Mme. X, had a 3 or 4 h connection in LAX on the way back from HNL. She is Prestige and so does not have lounge access, but being an ignorant neophyte thought she might as well check if it were possible to pay for a one-time use of the MLL (as I pointed out to her afterwards, she could have used her MLL passes, but that makes no difference to the story). She gets to the lounge and waves through the glass door to attract the attention of the lounge dragon who is seated at the desk.

Lounge dragon (silently mouthing the words, while indicating that there is a button at the side of the door): PUSH THE BUTTON !
Mme. X pushes the button. The door fails to open.
Lounge dragon (rolls her eyes, mouthing the words more emphatically with added pantomime): PUSH THE BUTTON !!
Mme. X pushes the button again, and again the door remains shut.
Lounge dragon (still without making any movement to get up from the desk, which is about 10 feet away from the door): PUSH THE BUTTON !!!

This happens about 10 times. Finally, Mme. X, who is getting a bit piqued by this point, decides just to stand there until the lounge dragon opens the door for her. After about 2 minutes, when it becomes apparent that Mme. X isn't going away, the lounge dragon comes over to open the door. It turns out the door was stuck.

Lounge Dragon : Well, are you coming in or not ?
Mme. X : I just wanted to ask a question.
Lounge Dragon : Are you a member ?
Mme. X : No, but -
Lounge Dragon (shuts the door).

End of story. My question to those of you who go through LAX more often than I do : Is this lounge dragon (a woman) a regular feature at the LAX MLL ? She sounds like a hoot.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Having been to the LAX MLL before, I can assure you that they don't roar in your face unless you look foolish.

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
I have never had any issues with the people there but the door didn't work on Monday either. They had people in looking at it. The lounge renovation is pretty weak.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
Having been to the LAX MLL before, I can assure you that they don't roar in your face unless you look foolish.
Indeed ? Well then I'll just have to make sure I look as intelligent as possible the next time I approach them.

Apparently this was just an isolated incident then... It struck me as outstandingly rude even by the standards of lounge dragons, who as we all know can be a fearsome breed.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by croco
Hello

Do AC clients with MLL access have the same access to use the Air NZ lounge as they do the MLL?

Thanks
I couldn't find the answer to this question and I'm also interested. Do they allow this? If I have an AC BP at LAX, can I get into the NZ lounge regardless of whether the MLL is open?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Theoretically as a Star Alliance Gold Member, you are allowed access to the NZ Lounge when travelling on a *A airline. That being said, they can deny entry if they are too full (as they could do even when travelling on NZ) and YMMV but quite often you will be told to go to use the MLL, but if you persist you will be let in.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by j_the_p
I couldn't find the answer to this question and I'm also interested. Do they allow this? If I have an AC BP at LAX, can I get into the NZ lounge regardless of whether the MLL is open?
Definitely not the same as MLL, but *G + guest on a *A flight are given access w/o issue.

When the MLL was closed for renovations and they were in hybrid AC/NZ mode, I witnessed an ugly SE go ballistic on the lounge matron. He wanted to bring in his family (two guests) and was told by the MLL person temporarily staffing the lounge that they were following NZ rules on one guest. He called the concierge in who stood behind the MLL matron and despite loud and angry complaints was told no.

In an ultimate show of inconsistency the agent accepted a MLL guest pass (which is not valid for NZ lounge entry) from a sympathetic person who (like everyone else in the lounge) overheard the whole thing and decided to waste a guest pass. In the ultimate insult to that person, the complainer spent five minutes in the lounge and then left for his flight.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:05 am

Definitely not the same as MLL, but *G + guest on a *A flight are given access w/o issue.
ummmm

I have no idea what this means. Can someone please explain?

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
What gates does the MLL look over (I love taking aircraft piccies?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by MrSydney
What gates does the MLL look over (I love taking aircraft piccies?
22-24 ish
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
On Saturday I have a flight LAX-YVR with a friend on WJ LAX-YYC ... we are driving to the airport together. Since the MLL in LAX is now an Amex lounge as well, can he buy access for the day despite being on WJ??
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Smile Other lounge options at LAX

Originally Posted by muskoka
We have a 5 hour layover in LAX Apr 2 on the way to OGG.( It started out as a 2 hour but due to schedule changes by both AC & UA, its now 5). Was hoping to spend some of the time in the MLL but it looks like if its under renovation we'll be sitting in the terminal wait room. I am an AMEX Maple Leaf Club member- do you think they will have any alternate arrangement during the reno? Anyone have experience with admittance to LAX lounge on an AMEX card with paying the $20 for spouse and toting kids? Does it matter that we are on UAL metal outbound to OGG?

Failing lounge access, what can we do for 5 hours in LAX?
I was in the MLL lounge @ LAX last week. No suggestion of a pending renovation, so deciding its "under renovation" may be premature.

From what terminal is your depature to OGG? The reason I ask is you may not be able to access a terminal other than the one your flight leaves from! e.g. T7 is United, T2 is AC and there is no airside secure access b/n the 2 terminals!

In my case, I called AMEX 6 weeks prior and obtained a Priority Pass lounge card. It provides free lounge access for me to a number of lounges in each terminal ($27 US per person for other family members). Worthwhile? Yes! It got us into the Alaska Board Room Lounge in Tom Bradley, prior to our departure on VA.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I was in the MLL lounge @ LAX last week. No suggestion of a pending renovation, so deciding its "under renovation" may be premature.

From what terminal is your depature to OGG? The reason I ask is you may not be able to access a terminal other than the one your flight leaves from! e.g. T7 is United, T2 is AC and there is no airside secure access b/n the 2 terminals!

In my case, I called AMEX 6 weeks prior and obtained a Priority Pass lounge card. It provides free lounge access for me to a number of lounges in each terminal ($27 US per person for other family members). Worthwhile? Yes! It got us into the Alaska Board Room Lounge in Tom Bradley, prior to our departure on VA.
You realize you just replied to a 4 year old post!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Flying in LAX via UA in about 3 days.. so where is the MLL lounge?

Will be flying out of LAX on the 7th via AC..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.