Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mad as Hell J5I5 to J5I1 30 mins to midnight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:59 pm
k22
Original Poster

Programs: ACSE 100K 1MM

Waiting for midnight for 2 upgrades at 7 day window. Checked an hour ago (22.50) J5I5, no problem. Checked at 11.30, J5I1. What happened? Should I be suspicious?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:57 am

Depends what time zone you were calling from.

The cutoff is midnight in the time zone of the call centre you reach. So if you're in BC, and the call centre you get is in Ontario or Quebec, you should be calling at 9:01pm, BC time. If you waited until midnight BC time, then others had three hours to sneak in front of you.

AC computers aren't very smart. They don't know about things like time zones. Normally that works to the advantage of people who do understand the concept, but of course you need to know about it first.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:04 am
k22
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Depends what time zone you were calling from.

The cutoff is midnight in the time zone of the call centre you reach. So if you're in BC, and the call centre you get is in Ontario or Quebec, you should be calling at 9:01pm, BC time. If you waited until midnight BC time, then others had three hours to sneak in front of you.

AC computers aren't very smart. They don't know about things like time zones. Normally that works to the advantage of people who do understand the concept, but of course you need to know about it first.
The midnight cutoff relates to the time in the zone where the flight departs and should have nothing to do with the location of the call centre. Anyway, I called from Ontario for a YYZ flight. Me smells something fishy.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:14 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by k22
The midnight cutoff relates to the time in the zone where the flight departs and should have nothing to do with the location of the call centre. Anyway, I called from Ontario for a YYZ flight. Me smells something fishy.
Ah yes, the good old disappearing "I" class debate - about time we had this old chestnut again .

As I predicted, the 2/4/7 day window for non-Y/M fares seems to be something being gradually withdrawn. Basically, it is becoming a choice of buy the high cost Y or M fare and upgrade at booking (although even the "I" space many weeks out seems to be generally declining) or play Aerolotto at the gate.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:41 am
ALW

The midnight cutoff relates to the time in the zone where the flight departs and should have nothing to do with the location of the call centre.
Maybe it's changed, but as far back as 1999 I could call from California at 9:01pm and get an upgrade. It was actually worth trying at 8:01pm and hoping for the Saint John call centre.

=aw
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:21 am

It was reported at this thread that someone was able to secure an upgrade outside of the window.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...68#post6612868

I assume that it was not one of the fares that entitle to instant upgrade confirmation at time of reservation or the poster would have done so and did not have to wait for the upgrade window to open.

This may be one of the potential causes. Someone might have rung before the window opened but the agent agreed to process the upgrade.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:31 am
k22
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Someone might have rung before the window opened but the agent agreed to process the upgrade.
Thanks for the link...I suspect your analysis is right.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k22
I had two flights last week that were upgraded ,each time,at the 7 day window. The tickets were Tango Plus.The out bound flight left full in Y and 3 empty J seats.The rebound had 50% capacity in J and Y(rather light load,IMO)

My flights all connected through YYZ.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k22
Thanks for the link...I suspect your analysis is right.

I suspect his analysis might be right.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Originally Posted by k22
Waiting for midnight for 2 upgrades at 7 day window. Checked an hour ago (22.50) J5I5, no problem. Checked at 11.30, J5I1. What happened? Should I be suspicious?
Did you get the upgrades? Some people may be manipulating the system, for instance if at 11:30 pm you make a query for 4 "J" seats, those seats are put on hold for 20 minutes thus reducing the "I" bucket. There will always be a certain percentage of full "J" retained for each flight.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
this really sounds like a route controller taking out I. Considering J5 stays constant throughout the period of time we are talking it makes no sense. If in fact 4 people did call for the upgrade, would it not go down to J1??
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: SQ, Marriott Lifetime
Originally Posted by shore9
this really sounds like a route controller taking out I. Considering J5 stays constant throughout the period of time we are talking it makes no sense. If in fact 4 people did call for the upgrade, would it not go down to J1??

Yeah, what's up with that, homie?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:32 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

And you're wrong about the route contoller part.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
He was talking 7 days out, they would not reduce the opportunity to sell full "J". It is all about maximizing revenue and the yield management people will look at the booking history and make the call.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
And you're wrong about the route contoller part.
Then can you please explain it to me? The only explanation that I can think of is that within that 30 minutes 4 pax in J cancelled their itin's, and 4 pax called and received upgrades. Thus the change from J5I5 -> J5I1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.