SOT: A drive-by at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
SOT: A drive-by gallery at YYZ

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...nment/Ontario/

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's . . . a piece of sculpture?

Motorists travelling Highway 401 past Pearson International Airport aren't seeing things.

There, on a mound of mud and sod that is usually home to the roar of traffic and the worst wind tunnel this side of the prairies, now sit three gargantuan pieces of contemporary art, installed just last week.

The sculptures, each by a Canadian artist and made of honking chunks of weather-resistant metal that loom mightily over Canada's largest and busiest highway, cost an estimated $700,000 to produce but are free for the two seconds of viewing afforded by a fast-moving vehicle.

And they'll be sticking around for the next three years as part of Artstage, a new public art exhibition on the airport's grounds. It's the result of a collaborative effort led by the Greater Toronto Airports Authority and curator Andrew Davies, and underwritten by corporate sponsors.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 14, 2006 at 1:35 pm
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: My own
You know that you've been in the USA too long...

...when you think that "drive-by" refers to "drive-by shooting"
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by tcook052
cost an estimated $700,000 to produce but are free for the two seconds of viewing afforded by a fast-moving vehicle.
I've been watching these go up daily over the last few weeks. If on the rare occasion you are going fast enough to go by in 2 seconds it's life threatening to look over at the sculptures. Most times on that stretch of the 401 though you have many minutes to take in the art display.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
At YYZ, drive-by refers to the loop from the Dunkin Donuts on Airport Road and the arrivals pick-up area in front of the terminals.

The parking gods are everywhere so you gotta keep moving, lest you invoke bad spirits

....and I thought the so called art was a mangled monorail car!

DF
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by aidsactivist
You know that you've been in the USA too long...

...when you think that "drive-by" refers to "drive-by shooting"
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tonypct
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title.
That was my fault as I forgot to include the word "gallery" in the thread title when I created it and later couldn't change it, though you'll note I did change the title within the thread itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.