Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/UA Codeshare - can you stand by for an earlier flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SE-AC, IHG RA, SPG Platinum

Scheduled to leave ORD tomorrow night on a UA codeshare flight and the SE desk was not certain if I could stand by for the earlier UA codeshare flight that looks wide open via KVS. Can I do this? Appreciate your help and apoligies if this is a dup post.

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by toomuchair
Scheduled to leave ORD tomorrow night on a UA codeshare flight and the SE desk was not certain if I could stand by for the earlier UA codeshare flight that looks wide open via KVS. Can I do this? Appreciate your help and apoligies if this is a dup post.

Thanks
I don't know what the "official" policy is, but I've never had a problem moving to an earlier flight on UA metal with an AC ticket. I can't say how it works the other way though.

DF
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
I don't know what the "official" policy is, but I've never had a problem moving to an earlier flight on UA metal with an AC ticket. I can't say how it works the other way though.

DF
I haven't had a problem moving from a US flight to a UA flight either, YMMV
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:35 am

Does this count for connections? I'm scheduled on (LHR)-YYZ-ORD-SLC. Can I try to switch to (LHR)-YYZ-DEN-SLC?

I'm 99% sure that it won't work, but it can't hurt to try

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Does this count for connections? I'm scheduled on (LHR)-YYZ-ORD-SLC. Can I try to switch to (LHR)-YYZ-DEN-SLC?

I'm 99% sure that it won't work, but it can't hurt to try

Dr. PITUK
I think the short answer is "it depends" If UA is your carrier from YYZ onwards I'd say you have a pretty good chance, space and fare class permitting. If you are looking at a mixed bag of AC - ORD or DEN and then UA onwards, I'd say Good Luck!

DF
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

DF
I've been able to standy by for an earlier AC flight out of ORD when I was on a UA ticket. I wonder if the AC gate agent (per "official" policy) would have charged me for the stand by if my ticket had been on AC stock. If so, this is a perverse incentive to give revenue to UA even when flying AC metal.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
If you booked with UA and want to switch to an earlier flight at the airport its no problem no cost...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
I've been able to standy by for an earlier AC flight out of ORD when I was on a UA ticket. I wonder if the AC gate agent (per "official" policy) would have charged me for the stand by if my ticket had been on AC stock. If so, this is a perverse incentive to give revenue to UA even when flying AC metal.
I've been able to do the same thing. The standby rules go with the ticket and booking class rather than the metal you are flying on. I've booked a UA ticket on AC metal which was cheaper and allowed same day standby. However, be aware that the change penalty for the UA ticket is $100 US$ (depending on booking class) rather than the $40 CDN$ for the corresponding AC T+ ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:43 pm

I think the short answer is "it depends" If UA is your carrier from YYZ onwards I'd say you have a pretty good chance, space and fare class permitting. If you are looking at a mixed bag of AC - ORD or DEN and then UA onwards, I'd say Good Luck!

DF
My flight to ORD is delayed by 20 minutes, so my 47 minutes is looking pretty slim! I asked to be rerouted via DEN, but the agent was adamant that I had to deal with the AC (operated by UA - ack!) agent in ORD .

I'll know for sure in a couple of hours

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
how did it work out?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
how did it work out?
Badly. Really crazy badly.

I'm sitting here in a Holiday Inn (they claim that the Hilton on site is completely full).

They have NO idea where my luggage is. They *think* that it was routed to SLC, but they're not sure. They *think* that I'm on a US flight tomorrow, but they're not sure. They think that a couple of food vouchers are more than enough compensation - apparently not good for room service, though. They *think* that I check in with UA tomorrow, but aren't sure, and don't know which terminal in any case.

I was planning to write a letter to say how nice the agent was in YYZ - and she was, based on what she knew. She implied that the agent at the gate would whisk me away to the Hilton, and I'd be all set for tomorrow. She even put me in J on the YYZ-ORD segment. I think that I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but I REALLY wish that I'd volunteered to stay in YYZ with mom and dad. Really REALLY!

Dr. PITUK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.