Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Federal working group proposes lifting first-aid requirements among pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/ne...ntent=n100241A

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal government may lift a regulation requiring air transport pilots to learn first aid, saying the move will save the aviation industry $9.2 million over 15 years and help bring aviation labour safety standards in line with Canada's Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by airbus320; Oct 2, 2006 at 3:22 pm Reason: second thoughts
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Wink

Will make those who travel, have more second-thoughts about flying now that the pilots don't have to take first-aid training. Wonder if those airlines cared about us, the passengers in the first place instead of money before us customers?

Sanosuke!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:58 pm

I'm mixed on this... They aren't really allowed to exit the cockpit to deal with FA issues - that's the job of the FAs, no?

I also just can't believe that it costs that much!!! That's a huge some for training which happens when pilots aren't burning flight hours (thus no real extra hours).

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:16 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
Will make those who travel, have more second-thoughts about flying now that the pilots don't have to take first-aid training. Wonder if those airlines cared about us, the passengers in the first place instead of money before us customers?
Majority of pilots have degrees, been in the air force, and all of them are capable of maneuvering a large piece of machinery that float in the sky.

And they should have to take a course on the importance of keeping wounds clean, not touching people who can't feel their legs, and how to make a splint? Sounds to me like a complete and utter waste of time for this affluent bunch.

When's the last time you've seen/heard a pilot do first aid on a flight? I think they should specialize on getting the metal on the ground. Unless you're paranoid, safety shouldn't cross your mind at any point here.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC, US
When flying a DH8 or bigger, i.e. when there's an FA onboard, I think there's a valid argument that pilots shouldn't have to know first aid. But what about for the pilots of Beech 1900's.....where there's no FA onboard? Any pilot of a plane where there's no FA onboard should need to know first aid IMHO.

As a corollary, since most pilots start out flying small passenger planes w/o FAs onboard, then it would make sense for all of them to have first aid training at some point in their careers, whether or not it is kept current is a different issue.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by cur
Majority of pilots have degrees, been in the air force, and all of them are capable of maneuvering a large piece of machinery that float in the sky.

And they should have to take a course on the importance of keeping wounds clean, not touching people who can't feel their legs, and how to make a splint? Sounds to me like a complete and utter waste of time for this affluent bunch.

When's the last time you've seen/heard a pilot do first aid on a flight? I think they should specialize on getting the metal on the ground. Unless you're paranoid, safety shouldn't cross your mind at any point here.
Computers have made most of the pilots job redundant... Pilots on long haul flights have lots of time to take some training...[they have weeks at a time off] Come on.
PS not all pilots fly 200 seat planes!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:08 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by why fly
Computers have made most of the pilots job redundant... Pilots on long haul flights have lots of time to take some training...[they have weeks at a time off] Come on.
PS not all pilots fly 200 seat planes!
And computers are known for their reliability, situational awareness, intelligence, judgement, and common sense.

Weeks at a time off? Right....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.