Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way awards gone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:16 am
Original Poster

One way awards gone?

Probably not, but try to find the info on the Aeroplan website. I looked for 30 minutes or so, then gave up.

And BTW, Aeroplan people, when I click on "Award Chart" I want a "chart" not some brain-dead-enter-a-bunch-o'-data form that won't accept airport codes, and was apparently dreamed up by some rhesus monkey on cocaine.

So, anyone know what a one-way Europe-Canada J award costs?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:39 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Probably not, but try to find the info on the Aeroplan website. I looked for 30 minutes or so, then gave up.

And BTW, Aeroplan people, when I click on "Award Chart" I want a "chart" not some brain-dead-enter-a-bunch-o'-data form that won't accept airport codes, and was apparently dreamed up by some rhesus monkey on cocaine.

So, anyone know what a one-way Europe-Canada J award costs?
My understanding is that they still offer one way awards but that you have to use the call center to book it and then, of course, there is a charge per ticket issued for the privilage of talking to an actual person (which they force you to use).

BTW: If your going to LHR watch out for an unbelievely high arrival/departure tax of 40.00 POUNDS!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Moaning becomes you negotiator!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Moaning becomes you negotiator!

Yes, PB we all have our moments including, if I'm not mistaken, you as well!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by negotiator
My understanding is that they still offer one way awards but that you have to use the call center to book it and then, of course, there is a charge per ticket issued for the privilage of talking to an actual person (which they force you to use).
I always felt that if the booking could not be done on-line,any fees for booking using the call centre would be waived.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by acysb87
I always felt that if the booking could not be done on-line,any fees for booking using the call centre would be waived.
Didn't make any difference - they still charged me when redeeming one way shorthall awards (10k) during the summer.

I believe the cost for one way awards to Europe is 35K in Y and 45K in J
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:15 pm

Yes when I recently booked two one-way reward trips [open jaw was too big] I did have to go through the call centre and yes I was charged a fee... but I view it differently. They are still providing a service for me to use my points and in the overall scheme of things [since the points did not cost me a penny ] I do not mind paying the fee to get exactly what I wanted. I am still a happy AE camper.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:12 pm

Yes, PB we all have our moments including, if I'm not mistaken, you as well!

I'm not referring to you moaning about AC I'm referring to you Moaning about Moaners!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:27 pm

I agree. Why should we pay for AP short-comings? But as with every short-coming with AC we the pax have no say in the matter
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
I agree. Why should we pay for AP short-comings? But as with every short-coming with AC we the pax have no say in the matter
It's a money grab pure and simple!

Surely they can amend the current program to allow for single trip flight bookings. Just another way to reduce costs IMO and some here seem to think that's OK because the AP points are free. In fact, they're not free! We all pay for those points in the basic ticket price which is inflated to absorb the cost of the aeroplan program to begin with. Moreover, when AP first started, there were no costs whatsoever in booking a ticket. I just booked an award ticket from YYZ to LHR and it cost me over $200.00. I could have done the trip for $450.00 on ZOOM and saved the 60K in points to get something usefull, like a toaster, perhaps!

Sorry about the Moaning but I'm a manic depressive at times!

Last edited by negotiator; Sep 17, 2006 at 6:59 pm
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Just one more CUT in the AC program...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:24 pm
Suspended

It's a money grab pure and simple!

Surely they can amend the current program to allow for single trip flight bookings. Just another way to reduce costs IMO and some here seem to think that's OK because the AP points are free. In fact, they're not free! We all pay for those points in the basic ticket price which is inflated to absorb the cost of the aeroplan program to begin with. Moreover, when AP first started, there were no costs whatsoever in booking a ticket. I just booked an award ticket from YYZ to LHR and it cost me over $200.00. I could have done the trip for $450.00 on ZOOM and saved the 60K in points to get something usefull, like a toaster, perhaps!

Sorry about the Moaning but I'm a manic depressive at times!

Trust me all of us are pissed.... Every time I try to use the last of my "stranded" AC miles.... I cant it makes no sense. eg. YYZ-ORD AC is $120 in taxes UA is $30
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:32 pm

BA lets you book one-way awards online for exactly half the round trip level. I booked 3 BHD-MAN tickets that way this summer.

AC, on the other hand, charges more than half the points and on top of that charges you the telephone booking fee. At the big YYZ do in March 2005 the question I asked at the Q+A session was about the ability to do 1-way award bookings. The answer was that it wasn't a simple thing for the IT guys to do. Obviously not.........
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
Trust me all of us are pissed.... I cant it makes no sense.
All of us?
My I did not know we all elected you as our spokesperson !

I for one am pretty happy ...

However from your 2nd sentence (?) above seems to me maybe you have been saucing it up?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
All of us?
My I did not know we all elected you as our spokesperson !

I for one am pretty happy ...

However from your 2nd sentence (?) above seems to me maybe you have been saucing it up?
Sorry you are 1 person who wants to pay $100 more in fees for a free award ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.