Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man removed from Jazz flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I've had to work on a few posts on this thread. Keep in mind that we're here to discuss the topic, not other FTers. Editorial commentary on other posters intelligence (or lack thereof) is best suited for PM or email.

Thanks

Sean
Moderator - AC/Aeroplan
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by abasanti
Not many Jewish folk in Austria is all I was saying.
Many non-Asians go to Asia all the time.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Not many Jewish folk in Austria is all I was saying.
After the war, there have been some Jewish immigrations to Vienna- those from Central and Eastern Europe who decided to stay put in Vienna instead of proceeding further west after WWII, then the Hungarian Jews during 1956 and in the 80's/90's those from Russia and former Soviet Union republics.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by skofarrell

Sean
Moderator - AC/Aeroplan
Did I miss something, I thought all we had were assmods?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Did I miss something, I thought all we had were assmods?
Not sure if you missed anything. Assistant Moderators will become "full" Moderators once trained. Since I was a moderator in OMNI and American Express for quite a while, my "Assistant" tenure was shorter. Randy is out of town and somewhat offline for a while and he asked me to take over in his absence.

As far as "AssMod" is concerned, I don't particularly care for the term and connotations it inspires. I'd sure appreciate it if you'd refrain from using it in the future. AsstMod is just as easy to type, and a bit less inflammatory don't you think?

Thanks

Sean
Moderator - AC/Aeroplan
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by fly-yul
And who among us on FT has not even said a little prayer hoping to get an upgrade?
Don't think 'lurching' would improve your chances much though.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Not sure if you missed anything. Assistant Moderators will become "full" Moderators once trained. Since I was a moderator in OMNI and American Express for quite a while, my "Assistant" tenure was shorter. Randy is out of town and somewhat offline for a while and he asked me to take over in his absence.

As far as "AssMod" is concerned, I don't particularly care for the term and connotations it inspires. I'd sure appreciate it if you'd refrain from using it in the future. AsstMod is just as easy to type, and a bit less inflammatory don't you think?

Thanks

Sean
Moderator - AC/Aeroplan
The only problem is that AsstMod is a bit asymetrical, just doesn't flow as well... ;-)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:42 pm

I was actually surprised to see a hasidic jew on a flight to vienna anyways ????
Two possible reasons: 1) The Simon Wiesenthal Centre is based in Vienna. 2) He was flying YYZ-VIE-TLV

You see plenty of Indians on Aeroflot to SVO (for cnx to Southest Asia)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:04 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Suspicious behavior banned

Originally Posted by fly-yul
If the items in question are on a banned list (water etc.) that's one thing. I would think the little boxes in question went through security.

Does every flight now have to wait until each passenger reviews the customs and behavor of all other passengers before it can leave the gate?

Its suspicious behavior that has been banned---whatever form that may come in
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by bannock
One man's suspicious is another's normal.

If something is really suspicious it should obviously be reported, but there is a very specific list of things that has been banned and something as vauge as "suspicious" behaviour isn't on it.

Sometimes I think people just need to pay more attention to the world around them. A lot less things would apear "suspicious".

Last edited by wsommerv; Sep 6, 2006 at 10:15 pm
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by bannock
So white Christian behavior is normal. And any other culture / religion is suspicious?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:01 am

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
Everyone seems to have been focusing on the silliness of not recognizing his behaviour as prayer. I think that's a red herring. Imagine you were on a plane and someone in front of you started to fervently pray aloud, and you knew it was a prayer, and a standard one at that. Perhaps The Lord's Prayer, which I once had to do in school every morning, or a Hail Mary, which most people at least know from the movies. You knew for sure this person was praying. And let's further say the person was being pretty fervent about it: bright eyes, rocking back and forth, quite emotional. You might well freak out. I think a lot of us associate praying "out of church", especially praying out loud, with danger, and would start to wonder "what does this person know that I don't know?" I can imagine a current of worry moving through a group under those circumstances.

Should you be taken off a plane for freaking people out? No way. If only you could be taken off a plane for putting your feet on armrests or leaning back too far. But it's possible to be freaked-out by someone praying without being racist or ignorant, just because you have your nerves set on "frazzled."
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer

You see plenty of Indians on Aeroflot to SVO (for cnx to Southest Asia)
What does that have to do with anything?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:28 am
ALW

I believe it was reinforcing the "connecting in VIE for TLV" possibility. It seemed appropriate to me.

=aw
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by cur
No, because you're breaking the law by creating a disturbance on an aircraft.
The above quote was with reference to the "yelling Bloody Murder" comparison. And CUR is quite correct that there is a considerable difference between what is a social issue of some type of prayer causing another to be "uncomfortable" (suck it up, you don't have a right to comfort) and "creating a disturbance". There are specific criminal code provisions applicable to "creating a disturbance" under the "DISORDERLY CONDUCT" and possibly the "NUISANCE" categories. None of the definitions would be applicable to the situation described here. However the definition "by fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language," would certainly apply to "yelling Bloody Murder".

Yes, the airline may choose to remove someone because their actions are mildly disturbing in a less than criminal way, but the airline is leaving themselves open to liability. I'd even go so far as to say it is the complainants that should be removed in this case, as they are the ones that truly caused the disruption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.