Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man removed from Jazz flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I've never heard of "lurching" but rather back and forth bowing towards the book. The orthodox appearance of Hasidic Jews in Montreal is slightly different from those in Toronto. I could see how it might make passengers nervous if they are not familiar with their appearance (which is rare). The fact that he couldn't speak English or French leads me to believe he is probably from Israel and possibly connecting at JFK for LY.

I saw a similar thing on one of my flights on OS from YYZ - VIE. The dude was pacing up and down up and down, murmuring to himself. He was asked to sit during some turbulence, but apparently he couldn't sit beside a woman (no idea why?). Someone in a bank of empty seats traded with him.

I was actually surprised to see a hasidic jew on a flight to vienna anyways ????
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cur
That was so asinine I don't even know why I'm trying to reason with you.

I hate to break to you, but governments thrive off paranoia, and it's the public's fault for buying the crap. Not the small minority of people "who put us in this state". Crack open a textbook sometime. And with that kind of mentality, isn't it wrong that we let the evildoers into being this paranoid? Quite frankly, the evildoers are kicking our asses. We may actually kill Osama, by having him laugh to death by our stupidity and paranoia.

No, because you're breaking the law by creating a disturbance on an aircraft.
The immature and uncalled for personal attack regarding the textbook aside, would you have everyone just forget about 9/11, 7/7, the Madrid bombings, Lockerbie, etc, etc? Are you going to say these events were schemed up by western governments to drive fear into all their pathetic serfs? Are we as passengers just supposed to ignore these events and happily board planes/trains and not for a second be fearful of something like that happening to ourselves? Why are there air marshals on planes? Why even bother with any security at all and show Osama and the likes of his kind something? I'd really like to know what you think we should be doing instead oh wise and educated Cur?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bannock
I subsequently did some research and learned that yes it was a prayer ritual and the item he had was a Telfin but at a time when I frankly can't bring water on board a flight this is no time to complain that such interventions are out of line.
Agree 100% Bannock. I actually saw a woman and her toddler forced to empty out a kids sippy-cup at security even when both of them drank it in front of the agents to prove it was only water or juice. If we are going to target something as harmless as an infants drink or an elderly woman's prescription pills why should we be surprised at what happened to the gentleman praying given recent history? I'm not saying I agree with any of this at all, in fact I think it's quite sad, but it's the unfortunate reality of the times we live in.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by luv2flyJ
Agree 100% Bannock. I actually saw a woman and her toddler forced to empty out a kids sippy-cup at security even when both of them drank it in front of the agents to prove it was only water or juice. If we are going to target something as harmless as an infants drink or an elderly woman's prescription pills why should we be surprised at what happened to the gentleman praying given recent history? I'm not saying I agree with any of this at all, in fact I think it's quite sad, but it's the unfortunate reality of the times we live in.
The difference is that water and juice are currently on the no-fly list. I just double checked CATSA.ca and TSA.gov and praying on board is not currently restricted.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
If you are afraid that someone will hurt you on a plane, YOU should be the one not traveling, not the person you fear so much.

The gentleman in question was seated, apparently had his seat belt fastened, was deep in prayer and certainly not a threat to anyone, except maybe Satan.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul
The difference is that water and juice are currently on the no-fly list. I just double checked CATSA.ca and TSA.gov and praying on board is not currently restricted.
If a toddlers sippy-cup is suspicious and banned maybe excessive praying onboard should be too?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by abasanti
I was actually surprised to see a hasidic jew on a flight to vienna anyways ????
Why is this a surprise? They have to run their business no matter what religion they follow. North of Montreal, there is a group that owns a diamond-cutting factory and I believe that they must have connections in Antwerp for example . Before they settled in the US and Canada, most of their ancestors cum relatives were from Europe.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
praying should probably be mandatory in those AC 767's ...
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by karachi
praying should probably be mandatory in those AC 767's ...
Now...why would you say that?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
If you are afraid that someone will hurt you on a plane, YOU should be the one not traveling, not the person you fear so much.
And if you can't get on a plane without invoking some Almighty Protection, maybe you should consider the bus.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
And if you can't get on a plane without invoking some Almighty Protection, maybe you should consider the bus.
If somebody on a plane is sitting next to me, praying, I'm going to ask him to put in a good word for me. I don't know why we are becoming so narrow-minded.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
LOL but one would have to pray ten times more on the bus, given the relative safety record of road vs. air travel.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Muslims and Jews both pray several times during the day as a regular event. Nothing to do with being on a plane.

And who among us on FT has not even said a little prayer hoping to get an upgrade?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by dodo
Why is this a surprise? They have to run their business no matter what religion they follow. North of Montreal, there is a group that owns a diamond-cutting factory and I believe that they must have connections in Antwerp for example . Before they settled in the US and Canada, most of their ancestors cum relatives were from Europe.
Not many Jewish folk in Austria is all I was saying.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by fly-yul
And who among us on FT has not even said a little prayer hoping to get an upgrade?
And do you know how many times I was thankful to the Jewish families travelling to Montreal from ERW for the Jewish holidays. Oversold flights and I get bumped to -don't have to mention it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.