Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it me - or does Aeroplan really have a poor redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it me - or does Aeroplan really have a poor redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by BOH
I thought I would have a look to burn some of my AP miles for a trip to YYZ, IAD or ORD in November.

Now I thought 85k miles was the redemption value for transatlantic J tix on AC but all the J class options offered provide just ONE J segment on the whole trip. And this J segment is only something like YUL-YYZ on a LHR-YYZ-LHR round trip. Um hello, my expectations are as a minimum for the LHR-YUL-LHR sectors to be in J for the 85K miles. If 85k miles is the # of miles required for a J transatlantic then surely it is a reasonable expectation that the main sectors / most lengthy be in J?

So I then looked at a few other destinations and noticed that for IAD, there is an option to "show *A options" and some UA options are displayed. But curiously not for ORD, despite this being a UA hub and other *A carriers such as UA flying there. And why are other *A options from LHR to YYZ not shown such as connecting via IAD with UA or with LH via FRA?

Have I missed something or is it really this difficult to redeem AP miles?
Look at the bright side of life:
1) If you can arrange for at least one of the segments to be on UA/US metal, it will only cost you 80K miles not 85K - worth the $30 call in charge.
2) The upcharge from Y to J(?) is only 20-25K miles. By getting ONE segment in J it allows you to at least STAND BY for J on ALL the AC segments. If you pick the right dates (sounds like low travel season) you should get J over the pond. The alternative is that AE doesn't even offer you a J itinerary and hence no possibility of a gate upgrade. For my points, I'll hold my nose and play Aerolotto for the 20/25K extra points to get the possible chance of being in J.
3) If you don't like paying 80/85K for possible J, you can probably go where you need for 60K in Y.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: AE, AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by why fly
Yes but you wont like the news... or the product.

It is going to be something like Air New Zealand's new system ?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:35 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
I don't think so unfortunately. If you take a J class reward with some segments in the back then AC considers it buyer beware. There were a number of threads a couple of months ago that AC had apparently lowered the priority that such pax have re U/Gs (they used to be near the top). I can't remember what the final outcome was or if AC even actually confirmed the change.
Although this still seems to be variable. When I was waiting for a gate u/g last week I was told by a Concierge that the only person ahead of me on the list was another SE on an award ticket. So I assume that he was standing by for J.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:24 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Alot of answers suggested phoning AP and getting them to trawl thru other *A options as they have more options available.

I'm curious as to why this is - why the AP booking engine does not allow the user to access further *A options but does allow the res staff?. It's almost as if the job is half-done in that in some instances you can access other *A carriers but not others. For example, trying LHR-IAD, both AC and UA options come up but not for LHR-ORD where only AC is displayed. Yet ORD is also a key hub for UA

There must also be options to use SK, LH, BD etc (indirectly of course) on LHR-YYZ, YUL etc but only AC is shown to the user on the AP site, no other *A options.

Is there a genuine reason for this seemingly haphazard approach?.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
Is there a genuine reason for this seemingly haphazard approach?.
The cynic part of me would think that it is a strategy to force us to use the call center and thus increase revenue.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:04 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
J cabin so exclusive

I like the philosiphy of keeping the J cabin exclusive,

But this situation goes too far.

Not so exclusive that even when you've paid, you're denied.

When we checked in early, we were told it was "wide open". When I got to the gate, the agent upgraded several others, including a dead-heading pilot and an F/A. When I asked, the gate agent told me that "beause you're on one of THOSE tickets, you certainly are not high on our priority list. I doubt you'll be upgraded".

Fortunately my luck has been different.

I'd ask for them to investigate and award you SSWU's if impropriety is found. They've been clear that you will be considered in a specific order. You've paid for Executive class, but not confirmed. If you weren't waitlisted in the proper order, compensation is not unfair.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Sep 5, 2006 at 10:16 am
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: A Few
Although the AC lurkers here refused to confirm the change to the priority of mixed class award tickets have for J seats (I believe AY made a cryptic comment that said there had been 'no significant changes' to the waitlist priority in one thread) I was able to confirm with my sister-in-law who works for AC in YUL that changes were indeed made to the upgrade priority of an award ticket. It was moved from the very top of the list (i.e considered paid J) to the bottom unless you have status such as E or SE which moves you back up the list.

Buyer beware...if you do not have any status with AC it probably is not worth the risk of booking a mixed class award unless you are comfortable with the concept of paying for J and very likely receiving Y for most of your flights.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
. . . changes were indeed made to the upgrade priority of an award ticket. It was moved from the very top of the list (i.e considered paid J) to the bottom unless you have status such as E or SE which moves you back up the list.
Unfortunately, it isn't clear where the Es and SEs might now go on the list. I assume it would still be lower than Es and SEs flying on revenue tickets. All in all, this has made the prospect of getting a D award when all the seats aren't confirmed a much riskier proposition.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Academic
Although this still seems to be variable. When I was waiting for a gate u/g last week I was told by a Concierge that the only person ahead of me on the list was another SE on an award ticket. So I assume that he was standing by for J.
I am slightly confused. How can an SE be standing by on an award ticket? SE supposed to have instant KK, no?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by aaac
I am slightly confused. How can an SE be standing by on an award ticket? SE supposed to have instant KK, no?
As an SE I was on stand by a couiple of weeks ago because my flgiht was booked using my wife's points. Unfortunetly, when they do that, they have no way up putting MY AE number on to the ticket, so they made a manual note on my file. (Got the upgrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.