Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ-HKG-BKK not available during the week?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

I just called Air Canada to inquire about moving a YYZ-HKG-BKK flight earlier in the week. Currently is scheduled for September 30th in L class. J only has 8 seats left last time I checked so my chances of an upgrade seem slim.

Now I understand that L class has penalties and all that jazz for changing, etc but when I called I was told "We do not offer that route (YYZ-HKG-BKK) on any other days the week before (Sep 25-29)" Even if I was to cancel and rebook, the flight route simply does not exist.

I was baffled to say the least. So I took her word for it, said thanks for checking, etc and left it at that.

So I went onto AC.com to check some things out and it turns out that every single flight (outbound) I'm offered during that week is through Tokyo, and not Hong Kong. However, AC015 (YYZ-HKG) does fly every day, so why wouldn't they offer the ability to connect to BKK???

Is this a simple case of Thai (operating the HKG-BKK route) not offering AC any economy codeshare seats during those dates? Or economy being sold out on the HKG-BKK segment? The flights from YYZ-HKG are way less busy than the YYZ-NRT flights during that week, plus there are more executive seats (42 vs 30) = more chance of upgrade.

I'm kind of annoyed by the whole thing but I certainly would understand more if it was Thai's fault and not just AC deciding they don't want to sell that route during the weekdays.....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:17 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

I am not sure why you were told that, it's not true.

YYZ-HKG-BKK AC015/AC9567 is available in L on the 25th (and I tried AC.com and got that option in Q class as well), rest of the week 26th-29th is sold out in Economy for HKG-BKK hence that option didn't show up.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
I am not sure why you were told that, it's not true.

YYZ-HKG-BKK AC015/AC9567 is available in L on the 25th (and I tried AC.com and got that option in Q class as well), rest of the week 26th-29th is sold out in Economy for HKG-BKK hence that option didn't show up.

Hmmm...maybe she didn't check the 25th since we started at the 29th and if 4 straight days were sold out maybe she gave up

Anyhow, I'll keep my eyes on the HKG-BKK flights for that week in case something opens up.......

thanks for the info........

As a follow up, you may know, how come it's not possible to book a ticket and upgrade only 1 segment of it? Like on this itinerary how come I can't book YYZ-HKG in Y and HKG-BKK in J or vice versa.....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:02 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Watch out for Chinese/Hong Kong holidays. That week is the run up to the National Day holiday HK and holiday week in China. Lots of folks on the move .. especially to Thailand.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPwingwalker
Watch out for Chinese/Hong Kong holidays. That week is the run up to the National Day holiday HK and holiday week in China. Lots of folks on the move .. especially to Thailand.
Yes I remember hearing that. It's on October 1st right? Hopefully, leaving earlier in the week will help avoid some of that traffic. From what I can see from seat maps and availability, Friday and Saturday (Sep 29 and 30) are just jammed, which is why I'm trying to change it. The rest of the week hasn't appeared to fill up *yet*
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by chovaz
Hmmm...maybe she didn't check the 25th since we started at the 29th and if 4 straight days were sold out maybe she gave up

Anyhow, I'll keep my eyes on the HKG-BKK flights for that week in case something opens up.......

thanks for the info........

As a follow up, you may know, how come it's not possible to book a ticket and upgrade only 1 segment of it? Like on this itinerary how come I can't book YYZ-HKG in Y and HKG-BKK in J or vice versa.....
I don't think the AC booking engine allow for separate class booking on *A flights yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.