Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 037, 038 - Toronto/Vancouver to Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 037, 038 - Toronto/Vancouver to Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AMEX, BA, WS
Thumbs down AC 037, 038 - Toronto/Vancouver to Shanghai

Don't know if the rest of you high-rollers on this forum ever fly coach , but...

I bought two "non-stop" tickets from Toronto to Shanghai for my girlfriend's birthday back in February. I should have known there'd be trouble when AC called with a flight change in April. When we finally flew last week, I was quite surprised to find that there was a 90-minute stopover in Vancouver. This meant that for the first and last 5 hours of our international flight the only food we could eat was the awful Harvey's and Subway slop that we had to pay for. Even worse, the aircraft was a beat-up Boeing 763, with a busted sink that sprayed hot water all over me on the way there, and another bathroom that was closed off for the entire flight back.

I've flown AC to Hong Kong and Tokyo a couple of times, and have never had such a bad experience. Is August considered low season for the YYZ-PVG route? The overseas portions of our flight seemed pretty cram-packed to me...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by acurrie
Don't know if the rest of you high-rollers on this forum ever fly coach , but...

I bought two "non-stop" tickets from Toronto to Shanghai for my girlfriend's birthday back in February. I should have known there'd be trouble when AC called with a flight change in April. When we finally flew last week, I was quite surprised to find that there was a 90-minute stopover in Vancouver. This meant that for the first and last 5 hours of our international flight the only food we could eat was the awful Harvey's and Subway slop that we had to pay for. Even worse, the aircraft was a beat-up Boeing 763, with a busted sink that sprayed hot water all over me on the way there, and another bathroom that was closed off for the entire flight back.

I've flown AC to Hong Kong and Tokyo a couple of times, and have never had such a bad experience. Is August considered low season for the YYZ-PVG route? The overseas portions of our flight seemed pretty cram-packed to me...
I could be corrected, but if AC added a stop in YVR when you purchased a 'non-stop' ticket, then you could have demanded (without charge) that you and your partner be put on another flight without the stop!

As for the disrepair of the 767, AC is currently upgrading the fleet and obviously your aircraft had yet to be serviced.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:34 pm

Just wondering if there was some confusion between the terms "direct" and "non-stop". AC's YYZ-PVG non-stop service operates three times weekly, and the days have remained consistent since it's inauguration in mid-June. On the days where the non-stop doesn't operate, AC037/038 makes 1-stop in Vancouver.

Westbound in August (YYZ>PVG) loads are moderate given the intense heat in PVG during that time of year, while the return flights are jam-packed. Hope your next experience is more positive.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
AC international planes are in very rough shape......[ new planes and seats for 2008] however, write or send an email to AC hopefully they will so somthing....
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:40 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

AC037/038 YYZPVGYYZ were always one stop flights. I am not sure how you booked it but on the website, it clearly states Stops = 1. So it wasn't something that was added in afterwards. The nonstop YYZPVG uses a different flight number (AC087/088).
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AMEX, BA, WS
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
AC037/038 YYZPVGYYZ were always one stop flights. I am not sure how you booked it but on the website, it clearly states Stops = 1. So it wasn't something that was added in afterwards. The nonstop YYZPVG uses a different flight number (AC087/088).
Ok, in reviewing my email confirmation I now see what happened... In April AC inexplicably bumped me from 87/88 to 37/38. I guess I should've complained at the time...

Last edited by acurrie; Aug 30, 2006 at 8:14 am
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Andrew, it used to be that on the domestic portion of an international flight that they did not have BOB, but instead full free meal service. Given the complaints of the OP has this now changed and if so when? Despite the confusion this may have caused for some domestic passengers it was definitely the right choice for the international customers.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:40 am

Ac037 Yyz-yvr

All Continental North American flights including the domestic portion of 37/38 have B.O.B offered on the flight.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1P, *A Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FLYACYYZ
All Continental North American flights including the domestic portion of 37/38 have B.O.B offered on the flight.
I flew AC37 in late February of this year only on the domestic portion YYZ-YVR in Y, and EVERYONE got a free full breakfast. The FA said it only happens on that flight as it continues to PVG and the international passengers are entitled to a meal, but it's easier if they give it to everyone. I'm not sure if that has since changed though. I remember the seats and plane were in horrible condition (we were delayed a little bit as an overhead compartment would not stay closed and had to be taped shut) but the service on that particular flight was excellent.

-mike
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:02 pm

When will AC nonstop YYZ-PVG go daily? Next summer or in 2008?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by cslusarc
When will AC nonstop YYZ-PVG go daily? Next summer or in 2008?
When AC get enough planes.... however it might also be a load issue??? This is a new route.... hopefully AC is making money so we can skip the dreaded stop in YVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.