Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SE Moving to ATL - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold
SE Moving to ATL - Suggestions?

Long time SE moving from YYZ to the ATL this fall for a new position with 70% USA/20% Int'l & only 10% Canada travel (150 to 200K a year)....is Delta really my only choice from that airport?

I've never flown with them.

Been scoping their metal online and it looks pretty bad; old equipment, very poor overseas J, etc.

How is "Sky Team"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by djfn49; Aug 26, 2006 at 5:42 am
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:04 pm

E+ if you fly UA. They have a small RCC in ATL with a mini cooler with soft drinks. This set up is nice as you don't have to bother a bartender to get a drink.
The RCC is right next to the UA gates. And the UA gates are in the concourse closest to security.
The rest depends on how important non-stop flying is to you.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:01 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by djfn49
Been scoping their metal online and it looks pretty bad; old equipment, very poor overseas J, etc.
In the past 6-7 months I have flown AUA-ATL-YUL, MCO-ATL and MIA-ATL-YOW. Other than the 757 on the MCO-ATL route, I would absolutely agree on your charaterization of their tubes.
But because you will be doing 70% domestic, DL may be the most logical choice, but a lot can depend on your mix of destinations. A UA/US combo may serve you well.
Suggestion: you would be a good candidate for a status match or status challenge as a fast track to S or G w/DL.
--
13F
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This is DL's home hub, but doesn't mean you're stuck with them. In fact, you will probably do better flying their competition even if it means a connection at their hub(s) to get to your final destination. I agree that UA is your next best option, given you will be stuck in coach until you build up status in their program, or whatever US program you intend to switch to. E+ seating will make life a bit easier, as will your AE/STARGold gain you lounge access even on domestic flights (See my response to Graywolf in the PHL/EWR lounge thread started yesterday.)

You may be able to get UA to comp you at least PremEx (Elite equivilent) based on your SE and confirmation of residence in Atlanta. This will give you some status on UA to work with, and earning of upgrade credits for use on your domestic flights...and miles for use upgrading overseas flights (if your company doesn't buy C/J).

You can use your SE STARGold card for this year, and assume you will requalify for 2007/8, next year to gain lounge access. STARGold elites of US FF programs do not get lounge access as a benefit unless flying overseas, so once you lose your AE STARGold status in February 2008, you'll have to purchase membership in a lounge program. (Again see my notes in the other thread.)

If you do opt for DL, they may comp you elite status (mid-tier, possibly top tier) in their program. But remember, flying from their fortress hub means you're competing with thousands of other elites for upgrades, etc. on your flights, and thus unlikely to score them as easily or often as you would on UA or another competitor from this hub. (This is always a problem when one is based in an airline's hub city.) Note that if you do opt for DL's FF program, you can access Crown Rooms if you have a regular AmexPlat card issued in Canada or the USA. Lounge access when flying DL is a benefit of this card, though not the AE version. (You also get lounge access to NW and CO lounges when flying them, also partner carriers to DL in the SKYTEAM group.)

Hope this helps...geez that's two Canuck brains being drained down South!
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
If the OP flies upto 150K/yr - why not at least try for E status on AC (in addition to status on at least 1 US airline) for the 2008 year (and get Star Alliance Gold membership, and lounge access - plus upgrade possibilities on AC on transborder and Canadian domestic flights).

In terms of getting status on a US airline - if you have AC Star Alliance Gold, you have access to UA and US/HP lounges; and you have E+ access on UA (already mentioned), and you have priority (Star Alliance Gold) check-in line access/priority baggage clearance. I would therefore go with one of the other 4 airlines, of one of the 2 other alliances.

The posters have mentioned Delta. By extension, Continental and Northwest are also part of the Sky Team Alliance. I wonder if most of these 2 latter airlines codeshare on Delta (at least from the Atlanta hub), more than having their own flights?).

I would consider getting status (complimentary now, earned later on) on AA, and then getting the One World perks on BA, and CA (and soon to be JAL) etc.

Finally, you can think of a nonglobal alliance affiliated airline - does Virgin go to ATL? If so, get status on that airline - then you have some perks with SQ, and you have perks with some of the US affiliated airlines.

Another thought, does JetBlue fly to ATL?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
I will fifth the suggestion that OP get a status match on UA. With 150k miles per annum he might get 1K. The status match will also get useable upgrade certs (AC certs are no good on UA).

ATL and southeast US area is a bit of black hole for UA, just mainline to the hubs with some Ted (rarrr....oops wrong forum ) flights. Good news is that UA is increasing IAD by 13% and IAD is pretty good for connections (most flights on C/D concourse with the props at A).

The OP should also look at US, they have the closest *A hub at Charlotte.

I would also advise the OP to enquire about the travel patterns of the new ATL office. The OP might have to deal with a travel coordinator that always places people on DL or the new Manager might also prefer everyone travel together on DL. Official and unofficial office policies could have a drastic impact on this discussion.

Rather than park miles in DL, the OP might also want to consider either status match or at least get set up in CO's program. CO has better aircraft and is considered to be among the best FFPs in USA. Their hubs in EWR and IAH could be useful for transcon and the international product is at least equal to DL in quality and better in quantity

Rather than park miles in DL, the OP might also want to considering either status match or at least get set up in CO's program. CO has better aircraft and is considered to be among the best FFPs in USA. Their hubs in EWR and IAH could be uiseful for transcon and the international product is at least equal to DL in quality and better in quantity.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If the OP flies upto 150K/yr - why not at least try for E status on AC (in addition to status on at least 1 US airline) for the 2008 year (and get Star Alliance Gold membership, and lounge access - plus upgrade possibilities on AC on transborder and Canadian domestic flights).

Another thought, does JetBlue fly to ATL?
No B6 to ATL as Air Tran serves ATL as the low cost alternative.

The OP might get some trouble using the AC Elite card and charging miles to UA MP. If memory serves, the flyer must have an AC Elite card and be chargin miles to AC Elite account inorder to use the RCC.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
No B6 to ATL as Air Tran serves ATL as the low cost alternative.

The OP might get some trouble using the AC Elite card and charging miles to UA MP. If memory serves, the flyer must have an AC Elite card and be chargin miles to AC Elite account inorder to use the RCC.
I thought it was perfectly legal to use an AC E card for lounge access, but credit the miles to one's UA's MP account. However, I am willing to be corrected on this point.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:17 pm
Suspended

I thought it was perfectly legal to use an AC E card for lounge access, but credit the miles to one's UA's MP account. However, I am willing to be corrected on this point.
It is perfectly legal. I have used cards from bmi, AC and LH to get into lounges all while crediting miles to a variety of programs, depending on where the miles were needed most.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:15 pm

This is a unique problem with UA. It is because they do not allow RCC access for their equivalent positions and yet AC*E gets in under the *G provisions. It is also possible for the RCC matron to not know about this rule, so your mileage may vary. Usually the situation comes up if the RCC person attempts to tie in the AE number on the card to the number on the ticket.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE (*A Gold), SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Don't forget about the luggage...

I just moved to NYC to head back to school, and used AC to move a lot of stuff...

As an SE, you're allowed 4 pieces of checked luggage, each weighing no more than 70 lbs, with a total allowed weight of 200 lbs...and of course you can still bring a carry on.

It saved a fair bit of moving costs. ^
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
This is a unique problem with UA. It is because they do not allow RCC access for their equivalent positions and yet AC*E gets in under the *G provisions. It is also possible for the RCC matron to not know about this rule, so your mileage may vary. Usually the situation comes up if the RCC person attempts to tie in the AE number on the card to the number on the ticket.
I have done it about 15 to 20 times in a RCC and have never had a problem with it. (PHX, LAX, ORD, SFO, DEN, IAD)
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djfn49
Long time SE moving from YYZ to the ATL this fall for a new position with 70% USA/20% Int'l & only 10% Canada travel (150 to 200K a year)....is Delta really my only choice from that airport?

I've never flown with them.

How is "Sky Team"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sky Team is not great. Actually, DL is one of the better carriers IMHO. Personally, if you are living in ATL with 70% USA travel DL is probably your best bet by far. You DO get more ug opportunities as a Platinum Medallion member than as a SE domestically. International, the BE service is being upgraded, and the benefit is a very wide range of non stop flights to Europe. It may be worth getting a platinum American Express card, as with it you can get into all the CRC for free (otherwise you need to buy a membership). I would phone DL and ask for a mileage challenge- typically they will ask you to fly 14K status miles in 60 days, at which time they will upgrade you to Platinum if you FAX in your statements.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold
Thanks for all the insight on this issue

Great thanks to those who replied to my inquiry.

I've got a bit more due diligence to do before making a final call.

Thanks again to all!

DF
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
If you decide to go with UA/US, you should seriously consider FL (AirTran) as your alternate carrier for flights along the east coast. They have very reliable and excellent service, and a nice front cabin (they brand it J class). They have some of the hardest working young flight attendants of all the North American carriers. Their elite program allows you to upgrade from coach. Credits in their FF program can be redeemed for flights on any airline if the city pairs aren't served by AirTran.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.