Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Certificates now valid for U class on travel to EU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificates now valid for U class on travel to EU?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by luv2flyJ
I travelled YUL-YYZ-LHR on U class a few weeks ago and reported the problem of trying to use SWU cert at check-in AND at the gate on the other site (grrrr). I tried booking U class YEG-YYC-LHR for next weekend but reservations said this class was not available despite U class showing on KVS. I thought perhaps this class is not available from YYC or YVR?? Can anyone clear up what the availability and rules are about U class "between Canada and Israel, France, Italy, the U.K., Ireland, and the Netherlands"????? Andrew?
Just because U class is showing in availability doesn't mean there is a U fare. (Same concept of just because you see "I", it doesn't mean you can buy an "I" fare). U fare is not available from YYC & YEG and yes, U fare is upgradeable at time of booking as it's part of Latitude Plus.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Just because U class is showing in availability doesn't mean there is a U fare. (Same concept of just because you see "I", it doesn't mean you can buy an "I" fare). U fare is not available from YYC & YEG and yes, U fare is upgradeable at time of booking as it's part of Latitude Plus.
Thanks for speedy reply Andrew. Of course the obvious question would be why are YYC/YEG not given U fares? Personally I would fly this fare to the UK whenever I travel there. The upgrade at time of booking and no change fees make it worth the extra dollars and it seems to be cheaper than an M fare.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:25 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by luv2flyJ
Of course the obvious question would be why are YYC/YEG not given U fares?
Because rich Albertans can afford to pay M...

Seriously though, I guess it's just down to the degree of competition. The choices for getting to Europe from YYZ,YUL and YVR are significantly greater than those from YYC/YEG. Perhaps AC can afford to sell M (instead of U) as the lowest flexible fare in this more captive market and still successfully compete for what it deems to be a fair share of the market and maximise revenue.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Because rich Albertans can afford to pay M...

Seriously though, I guess it's just down to the degree of competition. The choices for getting to Europe from YYZ,YUL and YVR are significantly greater than those from YYC/YEG. Perhaps AC can afford to sell M (instead of U) as the lowest flexible fare in this more captive market and still successfully compete for what it deems to be a fair share of the market and maximise revenue.
Yes, but I cannot find a single U fare from Italy, unless I am mistaken. And here, we have a lot of competition, and AC does not have a large presence at the moment....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
There is only U available for purchase for trips starting in Canada. For trips starting in LHR you would book in M...or even consider a Y2 fare to a US city which is usually cheaper. The Y2 allows one stop in Canada.
Correct from my experiences...for non-Canada residents, U fares are a bit on a red herring as far as SWU upgrades go. I generally buy M now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.