Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best route YUL/HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Once again I do not agree with your statement about this flight being extremely unrealiable.
We may have different expectation and I am not going to "argue" on this issue here as it has already been extensively discussed at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...0&page=4&pp=15

I refer to post#60 at the above thread that about 1 in 5 chance, the flight is delay for 1.5 hour or more. When I last looked at KVS with the 2.2.4 version update, I recollect only about 77% of AC015 were noted as "on time" during the past 50 days.

Let's just leave the statistics on the table to let each individual FT to decide. Those with KVS access may also check the reliability statistics themselves.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 12, 2006 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:31 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by Clipper801
We may have different expectation and I am not going to "argue" on this issue here as it has already been extensively discussed at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...0&page=4&pp=15

I refer to post#60 at the above thread that about 1 in 5 chance, the flight is delay for 1.5 hour or more. When I last looked at KVS with the 2.2.4 version update, I recollect only about 77% of AC015 were noted as "on time" during the past 50 days.
You might not want to argue but I need to set the facts straight. I just quickly pull the arrival stats for AC15 for the past 365 days and it's certainly false that AC15/AC16 has a 1 in 5 chance of delaying 1.5 hours. (which means 20%, not even close, in fact, not even close to 10%). Despite me mentioning this many times, you choose to insist on this flight being unrealiable, I am not sure what else I can say when I'm purely basing it on ACTUAL data.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
If your choice is only AC, then I recommend going through YVR rather than YYZ
( or both - better chance of a " decent" seat YYZ-YVR than YUL-YVR, I believe)

If simply " best J Class route", then I would prefer YUL-YVR-HKG on CX ( rather than
the Toronto-Alaska routing), or SQ through ICN, or.... many other choices via
connections through west coast
If you're willing to put up with immigration, I think YUL-JFK-YVR-HKG is a better routing. (If you want to avoid the CX 343 and fly the 747 instead).

There's no reason to subject yourself to AC J for a transcon. Especially when it's paid full fare J. Doesn't AA fly YUL-JFK?

Though, I guess at that point, you might as well fly YUL-EWR-SIN-HKG. The only problem is the short haul after a long haul can be annoying/exhausting.

Last edited by oopsz; Jul 12, 2006 at 8:43 am
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting back to original question of this thread,I refer you all to the quote below for a further reminder of what the OP was looking for......

"Thanks everyone, for your input. Let me clarify what is "the best way" for me. I am looking for connections that won't drive me crazy, flights that are dependable and do not have a history of being cancelled or delayed. I am looking for service and quality of the J class cabin. This is one of my concerns about the AC J on such a long flight. I love SQ, but have not flown CX. In my SE package, I did choose the bonus miles option on AC metal, so perhaps that is one other consideration, but not critical.

My ticket will be full paid J. I will be going out on Aug 22, return Sep 1 (Friday of a holiday weekend)."

Would it not be wise to cut each other some slack, some of the posts already verge on being inflammatory! Let's try and stick to the subject which is getting the OP from YUL to HKG the quickest and most comfortable way!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Once again I do not agree with your statement about this flight being extremely unrealiable.

Last 3 days it shows ontime. AC having ONLY 2 A345 means that equipment switches for maintenance are inevitable.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:14 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Its a shame that UA C class product isn't great as they have good times out of SFO and ORD from YUL. Of course, you could always buy up to F class
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
How about YUL-JFK,then JFK-HKG on Emirates...for a really awesome F experience. ^
The stop in Dubai is about 1.5hrs.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wali
How about YUL-JFK,then JFK-HKG on Emirates...for a really awesome F experience. ^

For that matter there is BA via LHR too.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtacchi
For that matter there is BA via LHR too.

OR even better.. Continetal from EWR. The B777 service is rated very highly..

$7800 USD...

Last edited by mtacchi; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:50 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Often flying via Europe/Transatlantic the J fare is up to 50% higher than via The Pacific
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wali

According to the Emirates website: USD8,974.44
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM 50K, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Getting back to original question of this thread,I refer you all to the quote below for a further reminder of what the OP was looking for......

"Thanks everyone, for your input. Let me clarify what is "the best way" for me. I am looking for connections that won't drive me crazy, flights that are dependable and do not have a history of being cancelled or delayed. I am looking for service and quality of the J class cabin. This is one of my concerns about the AC J on such a long flight. I love SQ, but have not flown CX. In my SE package, I did choose the bonus miles option on AC metal, so perhaps that is one other consideration, but not critical.

My ticket will be full paid J. I will be going out on Aug 22, return Sep 1 (Friday of a holiday weekend)."

Would it not be wise to cut each other some slack, some of the posts already verge on being inflammatory! Let's try and stick to the subject which is getting the OP from YUL to HKG the quickest and most comfortable way!
OK - Let's narrow the criteria even more...
I have decided to stay with *A, so it appears SQ or AC are my best options. I'm willing to believe Andrew about the on-time stats, however I think J class on AC is risky for working seats and AV - I've not had great luck lately.

So please vote:
Option 1 - complicated routing on SQ, with guaranteed cabin quality and service?
Option 2 - easy routing on AC, with lousy cabin and ? service? Oh, and please advise - is it better via YYZ or YVR.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by yulgirl
I have decided to stay with *A, so it appears SQ or AC are my best options. I'm willing to believe Andrew about the on-time stats, however I think J class on AC is risky for working seats and AV - I've not had great luck lately.

So please vote:
Option 1 - complicated routing on SQ, with guaranteed cabin quality and service?
Option 2 - easy routing on AC, with lousy cabin and ? service? Oh, and please advise - is it better via YYZ or YVR.

I asked my boss who travels to HKG several times a year on AC and is SE. His favoured method is to go to Vancouver the night before, overnight in a hotel, and go from YVR. He is perfectly satisfied with the J product. If you want to save a several thousand dollars and your dates are firm there are some very cheap business class fares available for your dates. You also need to get to YVR and back.

He has done the YYZ-HKG and has never the experienced serious problems that others have unfortunately encountered, but finds the trip tiring.

He has travelled SQ in J and felt it was a better product, but the schedules tend to be very inconvenient, and he likes to rack up the redeemable miles, so for him the product difference will not be enough to go out of his way to travel SQ.

There is no correct answer here.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by yulgirl

So please vote:

Given your stated parameters, my vote is Option2 YUL/YYZ/HKG (AC401 cnx AC015).

A345 is very new and is fine when it works. My spouse likes its angled lie flat seat but I don't.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 12, 2006 at 4:19 pm Reason: Option2 mis-typed as Option1
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
[quote

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 15, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.