Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:52 am

Thanks for the clarification on the bonus miles Ziptie.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Ziptie
I would expect that any flights flown and capable of collecting status miles before Oct 15th will count toward early recognition and that is why there is no hard date cutoff to gather those miles. However your 50% elite bonus miles do not count as status miles, so they will not contribute toward your SE goal.
I don't necessarily agree. There is the announced cut off date, Oct 15th, then there is the extra lenience to maybe the end of Oct. However if your miles don't post until Nov, even though they are backdated to pre Oct 15, I don't think you will get the early recognition benefits.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong, please go ahead.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don't necessarily agree. There is the announced cut off date, Oct 15th, then there is the extra lenience to maybe the end of Oct. However if your miles don't post until Nov, even though they are backdated to pre Oct 15, I don't think you will get the early recognition benefits.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong, please go ahead.
You may be right, and I have no hard evidence to prove you wrong, but it does stand to reason that if you have collected the miles ( but not necessarily posted) they will give the early status. Remember the terms say "When you qualify for 2012 Air Canada Elite or Super Elite status before October 15, 2011, you will be awarded this status immediately"
And to me that means if you have flown the flights then you qualify. Period.

I think the extra lenience is to pick up 99% of the cases that have flown earlier than Oct 15th and because of the lenience people that have flown after the 15th but before the cutoff get in.

Of course it also says I will get personalized luggage tags, and I guess I do have that but I had to personalize them myself.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
"The system" is very inflexible. I crossed 100K threshold on Dec 5th last year, the sweep to choose benefits in Dec was on the 4th, so I was not allowed to choose my benefits until Jan 5th or so. I called AE many times and no one could override "the system" to let me choose my benefits sooner. So I suspect if you miss the sweep, you will be SOL.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
"The system" is very inflexible. I crossed 100K threshold on Dec 5th last year, the sweep to choose benefits in Dec was on the 4th, so I was not allowed to choose my benefits until Jan 5th or so. I called AE many times and no one could override "the system" to let me choose my benefits sooner. So I suspect if you miss the sweep, you will be SOL.
I think we are both in agreement that AC's IT dept is lacking, however the difference is that by there rules if you qualify before Oct 15th you are in. There is no rule in place to grant you benefit choosing by X date. That one is just luck of the draw. I have been in the situation in the past where I was close enough to SE by Dec that they also did not let me choose until Jan even though I was not going to make SE that year. Dem's da brakes.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
I think we are both in agreement that AC's IT dept is lacking, however the difference is that by there rules if you qualify before Oct 15th you are in. There is no rule in place to grant you benefit choosing by X date. That one is just luck of the draw. I have been in the situation in the past where I was close enough to SE by Dec that they also did not let me choose until Jan even though I was not going to make SE that year. Dem's da brakes.
I'll be crossing 100K on Oct. 15th sharp (not 'before' the 15th...), so hopefully they will grant early recognition...
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: Free Agent
500 CO partner miles from Sept travel posted Oct 13 putting me at 100402; SE status now updated on AE account and was able to make 2011 choices. glad I did not have to mess with Oct 15 hard or soft deadline although I cut it close.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 5:21 pm

Having clawed and fought my way to AC*SE for 2011, I am happy to report I just requalified for AC*E for 2012.

With booked and anticipated travel, I should end the year around 55,000 miles and up to 31 eUpgrade credits left over.

What to do, what to do....? YUL-ICN-YUL-HKG-YUL-NRT-YUL over the Christmas holidays?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: AC*G, UA*G
Qualified for Elite (first time) in ASM last week (Oct 14th). Was a *special* experience using the internet to check this (one dial-up connection for an entire building...).

Flights posted in 6 days off Air Egypt, and recieved the AC emails shortly therafter.

Used lounges in CAI and LHR on the way back without issue (there wasn't one in ASM). Oct 17th about 17K worth of bonus miles posted, which appears consistent with Elite bonus for AC-related flights since Feb.

Am happy now.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:48 am

Relieved! My miles from Oct. 2nd were posted today and I did also get early recognition as E today. There is definitely some kind of grace period. You don't have to have the miles in your account on the 15th. I'm actually impressed at how quickly my missing mile request was processed. I was concerned that it might take the full 4 to 6 weeks and that I would miss the nebulous grace period.

You may be right, and I have no hard evidence to prove you wrong, but it does stand to reason that if you have collected the miles ( but not necessarily posted) they will give the early status. Remember the terms say "When you qualify for 2012 Air Canada Elite or Super Elite status before October 15, 2011, you will be awarded this status immediately"
And to me that means if you have flown the flights then you qualify. Period.

I think the extra lenience is to pick up 99% of the cases that have flown earlier than Oct 15th and because of the lenience people that have flown after the 15th but before the cutoff get in.

Of course it also says I will get personalized luggage tags, and I guess I do have that but I had to personalize them myself.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:09 am

I was pleasantly surprised to acheive early Elite status recognition even though I was passed the deadline. Passed 35K on a UA flight on Monday and the miles posted today and was able to make Elite selections. So there is still some grace period.

Usual Suspect
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This former long running SE turned peon turned E is now back to SE.
I laugh... laugh out loud bwahahahahahahahahaha
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:12 am

Well, crossed 100K on Friday, miles posted today and confirmed SE today... Was also able to choose my goodies right away!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by canolakid
500 CO partner miles from Sept travel posted Oct 13 putting me at 100402; SE status now updated on AE account and was able to make 2011 choices. glad I did not have to mess with Oct 15 hard or soft deadline although I cut it close.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This former long running SE turned peon turned E is now back to SE.
I laugh... laugh out loud bwahahahahahahahahaha
Originally Posted by run&fly
Well, crossed 100K on Friday, miles posted today and confirmed SE today... Was also able to choose my goodies right away!
Congratulations on achieving SE status. ^ ^
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:43 pm

bookings before early recognition...

Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere here that one should call in AC Reservations to have them re-enter AP number on bookings made before early SE (or E) recognition.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks!

R&F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.