Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Aphrican
This and the quote above are consistent. The 5,000 SQM discount only applies to E50K and above and not for E25K or E35k.
I did find the plural on ’level’ weird, as on any occasion of the select benefit being chosen, it would be chosen as a select benefit of that level, singular, and the fine print of the benefit should similarly only apply to that level, singular. But I bet your understanding is correct — if you chose that benefit at any level, it applies at any level where it’s a possible select benefit.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
I have had a weird edge case in the last few days.

My AmEx cutoff date was 13 April with a “settlement date” of 14 April.

I flew YYJ - YVR - LHR departing on 13 April and arrived on 14 April.

I started the year with no status.

My EDQ got me to E25K when the AmEx EDQs got posted on 15 April.

I also qualified for E25K when my SQx posted on 16 April after I landed at LHR on 14 April.

AmEx posted before AC and I was advised that I had reached E25K and was given Core Benefits and Select Benefit choices on 15 April which I did.

AC posted my SQx after I chose my CB and SB based on my EDQ and I was given CB and SB for a second time after my SQx were posted on 16 April.

My dashboard now shows 40 eUps (which are worthless to me and I didn’t choose them as a SB in either instance) and cowtool reflects the CBs and SBs that I chose on future bookings.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for AP to correct their error.

I expect to get to SE by the end of the year so this weird edge case will not happen again.

Last edited by YYJ _SLF; Apr 17, 2023 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
cowtool reflects the CBs and SBs that I chose on future bookings.
wat
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
wat
When I got to E25K, a core benefit is that all legs are deemed to be 250 miles minimum. I also chose the select benefit of 25% bonus points on AC metal.

Having heard about all of the AC IT disasters, I was pleasantly surprised when I used your cowtool and saw that the PNRs for my return legs home and and future bookings all correctly reflected my CB, SB, CC data and my modest AP and *A statuses.

From what I have read here to date, it seems that it is a good idea to build a spreadsheet to verify AP numbers. Your cowtool makes it very easy for me to do so with precision so thank you.

I am flying to Rwanda in June on an AC ticket to and from YVR and a TK ticket to and from Kigali. It will be interesting to me to see how well and quickly AP handles it as I should get to E50K early recognition part way through that trip.

Last edited by YYJ _SLF; Apr 18, 2023 at 5:11 am
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:47 am

When I got to E25K, a core benefit is that all legs are deemed to be 250 miles minimum.......I was pleasantly surprised when I used your cowtool and saw that the PNRs for my return legs home and and future bookings all correctly reflected my CB, SB, CC data and my modest AP and *A statuses.
Oddly enough when I hit 25k cowtool did show the status, but the CB of minimum 250 wasn't reflected in the SQM, either for an existing booking or for a new one made after getting the status (yyz-yow in both cases). I had assumed it just didn't do that until I saw your message suggesting it should have or sometimes does.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Oddly enough when I hit 25k cowtool did show the status, but the CB of minimum 250 wasn't reflected in the SQM, either for an existing booking or for a new one made after getting the status (yyz-yow in both cases). I had assumed it just didn't do that until I saw your message suggesting it should have or sometimes does.
My case is weird. AP told be that I became E25K in 13 April via SQx and again on 14 April via EDQ.

They “made” me choose my SBs twice which means that I have 40 eUps and 4 MLL passes when I should only have 20 and 2 respectively. I am sure that they will be clawed back.

I don’t know whether the EQD process is more efficient than the SQx process when it comes to correctly populating PNRs as AP got two chances to get it right.

I am 99.99% sure that cowtool is not the cause of the problem that you are having.

I am new to AP and FT but I have learned that AP’s processes are not at all consistent.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When I got to E25K, a core benefit is that all legs are deemed to be 250 miles minimum. I also chose the select benefit of 25% bonus points on AC metal.

Having heard about all of the AC IT disasters, I was pleasantly surprised when I used your cowtool and saw that the PNRs for my return legs home and and future bookings all correctly reflected my CB, SB, CC data and my modest AP and *A statuses.

From what I have read here to date, it seems that it is a good idea to build a spreadsheet to verify AP numbers. Your cowtool makes it very easy for me to do so with precision so thank you.

I am flying to Rwanda in June on an AC ticket to and from YVR and a TK ticket to and from Kigali. It will be interesting to me to see how well and quickly AP handles it as I should get to E50K early recognition part way through that trip.
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
If your status is showing up, it will (if not, post in the PNR tool thread) show the 250 mile minimum (which can also be affected by COS).

It will also give you a "Points" and "Points + Bonus" amount, because I have no way of knowing if you selected that benefit.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: E50K
My case is weird. AP told be that I became E25K in 13 April via SQx and again on 14 April via EDQ.

They “made” me choose my SBs twice which means that I have 40 eUps and 4 MLL passes when I should only have 20 and 2 respectively. I am sure that they will be clawed back.
I wouldn’t be so sure; mine did not get clawed back.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If your status is showing up, it will (if not, post in the PNR tool thread) show the 250 mile minimum (which can also be affected by COS).
right, I see now that on the summary line, where there's the name, ticket number, SQM and SQD, etc., if you do the math the total SQM reflects the 250 mile minimum (although it treats it as if I had status for both OB and IN, although who cares about that). I had been looking at the SQM breakdown for each segment, which doesn't reflect the status. I assume this is so that the SQD division across segments by distance is accurate, which is a nice feature.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Viporter Priority
Select benefits from 50k to SE

Hi fellow travellers!
This year I started with 50k and will reach super elite in a few months. I have not selected my 50k benefits yet but will have to since I will hit 75k next month.
My question is about the select benefits, especially wi the subsequent early recognition

Do you know if I understand well:

1) if I choose 50% aeroplan points bonus for my 50k benefit I will get 50% from January 1st until the time I get 75k
if I don’t select 75% bonus as part of the select benefit for 75k, then I will not get any bonus (not even the 50%) from the time I choose not to have this bonus for 75k
if I select 75% this will only apply on activities after I hit 75k (previous activities will keep their 50%). A few years ago I thought they would cancel the 50% bonus for full year and then reapply the 75% bonus from Jan 1 (I just remember there were points debited when changing the bonus)

2) if I select lower requalification level for my 50k benefits and don’t select this for subsequent selections (when I hit 75k, SE). Would this remain applicable anyway for any level next year to qualify for 50k, 75k, SE? Or do I need to keep selecting this benefit for each subsequent selection. The plurals wording makes me think it could be possible but any DP would be appreciated

3) by qualifying for several level in the same year I could literally stack different select benefits
for example, in addition to bonus aeroplan points at each level, I could select:
- lower requalification level for 50k select benefit
- wifi for 75k select benefit
- 50k status for a friend for SE select benefit

4) for monthly flight pass I could change the bundle 2 benefits between each level, it will only apply to the corresponding months based on status and last benefit used when the flight activity post

thanks in advance
(you are welcome to answer partially if you don’t have all the answers)
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:11 pm

1 and 3 are consistent with my understanding and experience.

For 2, I don't know if the lower requal selection this year for early recognition will apply to levels next year - I would have thought that it only applied for this year.
mapleric likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
1) This is correct. You may realize this, but just in case, you will not get the 50% from the time you qualify for 75K. It stops at that point, not when you select your 75K benefits.

2) If you select the lower requalification level as your 50K benefit (noting that you qualified as 50K at the start of the year), you do not need to select it as a 75K and SE benefit. It continues to apply to help you qualify earlier for next year's status. If you do select this benefit at 75K and SE level, you actually receive 1,500 bonus SQM each time you select it, which should be in your account within a day or two.

3) Yes, you do get selections at each level you reach early. Keep in mind though that you get less eUpgrade credits if you select this benefit when you qualify early for a level and that if you gift 35K or 50K it only lasts until the end of that year. It doesn't carry over. You would need to gift it again at the start of the next year with that next year's selections (if you want it to apply for that next year too).

4) I can't help on this one.
mapleric and vancouver25k like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriot Platinum, Delta Gold
Hi fellow travers,

I am starting 2023 as a base member and expect to reach 50K by EOY. Here are my n00b questions regarding how select benefits stack up in the first year of early recognition.

1. Is the 20 eupgrade credits awarded incrementally at each level? For example if I go from member to 25k to 35k to 50k, will I ended up getting 3* 20 credits or just 20?
2. Does the eupgrade credits stack up when you choose them at each level? For example if I go from member to 25k to 35k to 50k and choose eupgrade credits, will I end up getting 5 + 10 + 10 credits (additionally from core)?
3. If answer to (2) is false, will my select benefits choice of 5 eupgrade credits at 25K disappear from my account when I get to 35k and does not select eupgraqde as my 35k choice benefits?
4. Does the Areoplan Elite Status Bonus (25% at 25K) apply only for Areoplan points or does that apply for SQM as well?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by realseangao; May 1, 2023 at 6:56 pm
Old May 6, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: aeroplan
1. yes 2. yes. 3 n/a 4. points only
Old May 26, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC 50K, CX SL, UA Silver, Marriott Gold
New member this year and just reached 50K - trying to decide on what select benefits to pick. Since I’m in early recognition, do I keep the selected benefits until this year or end of next year?

Anticipate that I’ll be flying a little less so was thinking if I should pick lower requalification threshold, but I won’t need the 1.5k SQM for this year, unless that will impact my select benefits for 2024.

TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.