Wiki Posts
Search

Just how smart is AC re: U/G certs

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2006, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just how smart is AC re: U/G certs

I know I'll probably get ripped apart for asking, but I'm going to anyway!

If it obtained an upgrade cert from a friend who has them (yes, really a friend) with no name and no AP number (I guess in the batch that they forgot to print them on as I remember reading about earlier in another thread) would AC have any way of knowing that i am only entitled to 2 SSWU certificates and since I've already used them I really shouldn't have any more? Don't want to go causing any trouble with my status!

I'm guessing that they wouldn't keep such great track of things like this....especially since they never used to have names on them before and I never heard any stories of people being told that they've already used their certs and shouldn't have any more....
Old May 5, 2006, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm only guessing, but if AC's IT system cannot block seats next to E/SE passengers, I very much doubt that it is up to keeping track of how many certs you should have and how many you have used, etc etc. There would not have been a system in place before this year, and I doubt very much that once has been implemented since.

As an anecdote, I have more than once had the check-in agent smile at me and not void the cert, then (when she was helping at the gate) deliberately not take it from the BP wallet (really!)
Old May 5, 2006, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must be your charm LE.
Old May 5, 2006, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
A friend of a friend has told me that when their friend used on of the "no name" certs, the agent didn't even question the missing information, though did scribble in the AE member's account number. Whether anyone at AC later records this number, and the ones on the pre-printed certs, in a data base to track cert use is anyone's guess.
Old May 5, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
As an anecdote, I have more than once had the check-in agent smile at me and not void the cert, then (when she was helping at the gate) deliberately not take it from the BP wallet (really!)
Hmm, I must be charming too! This has happened to me too a few occassions.
Old May 5, 2006, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I guess we have a way with the ladies!
Old May 5, 2006, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by chovaz
I know I'll probably get ripped apart for asking, but I'm going to anyway! If it obtained an upgrade cert from a friend who has them (yes, really a friend) with no name and no AP number (I guess in the batch that they forgot to print them on as I remember reading about earlier in another thread) would AC have any way of knowing that i am only entitled to 2 SSWU certificates and since I've already used them I really shouldn't have any more? Don't want to go causing any trouble with my status! ...
Is it also a SSWU? Is there even a spot for the name/FQTV imprint on this cert? Be aware there ARE still valid certs without names including corporate certificates ofered by certain agencies & AC sales to their top customers and purchased Rapidair or Canada-USA (limited routes) certificates
( http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../upgrades.html ).

These typically offer narrow windows of opportunity but are valid none-the-less.
Old May 6, 2006, 2:57 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
when boarding flight to PVG the other day, the agent specifically wanted an upgrade cert for my moms seat, but not a cert for the other three of us. I had all 4 ready to hand over, but they didn't want them all, so that was fine with me, thought they might come on board to collect, but they never did.
Old May 6, 2006, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite

My only AC upgrade this year, the same thing happend. I still have all my certs
Old May 6, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by mtacchi
My only AC upgrade this year, the same thing happend. I still have all my certs
Same thing happened to a friend. No problems yet. Although we all know how famous Marc is with AC- that might explain why mothing has happend to him
Old May 6, 2006, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global guy
Same thing happened to a friend. No problems yet. Although we all know how famous Marc is with AC- that might explain why mothing has happend to him

No , actually I do not think they are too thrilled with me. They will probably try and recoup the certificate.
Old May 6, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Two days ago, when flying from Newark to Ottawa via Toronto, I used a North American (personalized) certificate. It was the first time I used a certificate this benefit year (ie from March 1). The agent rapidly collected the certificate, but did not look at it for my name. Does AC track the personalized certificates, at all?

PS-I know this issue has been discussed a 1000 times before, on other threads, but I will raise it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.