Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with using DM miles (US Airways) for AC flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Buddy of mine was looking at an available itinerary on AP.com (flights were between ONT and BC) while talking to a US DM agent. Agent sez the flights weren't available. Buddy has (currently) no status on US, and is P on AC (DM agent probably doesn't know what the caller's AC status is - maybe that doesn't matter to them).

What's the real situation when trying to book AC metal using DM miles? If AP is showing availability, shouldn't the booking work?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:06 am

AP availability is not the same as DM availability. Hence availability of flights on aeroplan.com is not a good indicator of star alliance rewards availability for DM members. End of story... I think.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As noted, STAR partners have a different inventory on AC -- and other STAR flights -- so what an AE member might see would not necessarily be what the partner agent would. (Was your friend seeing AVENUE or CLASSIC awards. STAR would only have access to CLASSIC ones at the standard "price".) Also, you friend's AE status would have no impact on his being able to redeem his US miles/points for AC flights.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1P, *A Gold, SPG Gold
It can go the other way around too.... sometimes theres no classic AE seats available (and i'm not sure about DM) but UA/MP will have lots of seats available..... Also when AE wants you to fly say YUL-YWG-YEG-YVR, using MP miles, you can usually get a nonstop or at least one stop..... I've had much better luck booking AC itins using UA miles then AC miles....... also the fees are considerably less......

-mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.