Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2 seperate tickets, one cert or two?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K

I am going to book a ticket for YUL - YVR on one day, and the next day I am booking a seperate ticket YVR - PEK. The time between when I arrive at YVR and when I leave YVR for PEK will be less than 24 hours, however because this will be two completely seperate tickets, will it require me to use one cert or two? I will book an H fare for YUL - YVR.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Is there any particular reason to do this (2 tickets). You should get a cheaper overall result to go from YUL-YVR-PEK than 2 tickets--have you gone to a consolidator to check?

If they are not on the same PNR, then it is unlikely that you will get the upgrade on both.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:40 am
Original Poster

I was told that the booking must be available online (toureast) and I could not find the flights I was looking for between YUL and YVR. The booking was complicated enough, also didn't have a clue of what day to make the return flight to YUL, so rather than pay big change fees, I just kept it simple.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would tend to agree with BB. Each segment is a separate ticket with a two PNR.

My guess is that you will need two certs....however the operative word is guess.....
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:16 am
Original Member

Is the fare class not available (KVS tool?)--once you find what fare class you should be able to use the tool to piece together. It may be that the fare class is indeed sold out on most routes but have you tried via YOW etc?

The consolidators usually have easily changeable dates (provided fare class is available, max fee of $100)
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:35 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I had two PNR's for an LHR-YYZ and then 3 hours later connecting to a YYZ-LAS last month.

The check-in agent at LHR linked the two together and lifted one SSWU for the whole journey.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:26 am

I have travelled on 2 PNR and used one cert.
Keep your boarding pass etc. just in case.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:28 am
Suspended

I guess the real question why do you care? There are like a million SWU around for you to use.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtacchi
I guess the real question why do you care? There are like a million SWU around for you to use.
I care because I only have 2 SWU's right now, by that time I will have 4 SWU's and am using them all on that flight. If I can do YUL - YVR - PVG on one SWU then great, otherwise I will book a lower T+ fare for YUL - YVR.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If you book the PVG portion in an SWU upgradeable fare (H would be the lowest right now) then the YUL-YVR ticket would also have to be in that fare class and thus not upgradeable with an SWU as that is not a Latitude fare. If this segment is not on the same ticket/itinerary, then you'd require a SSWU for the domestic portion. If it was on a single ticket and through journey, even with the <24hr connection at YVR, you could use the SWU on the domestic portion. Otherwise, even if linked, don't think you could use a single SWU, it would have to be a SSWU because that's the fare class covered by the domestic journey (unless that is booked in Latitude).

Also, as two separate bookings/tickets you must pay GST on the domestic one (and QST?). However, if it is booked as a single ticket to PVG, even with the long connection at YVR, it would qualify as an international trip and not be subject to those taxes. The difference could be considerable (15% of the domestic fare).
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shore9
I care because I only have 2 SWU's right now, by that time I will have 4 SWU's and am using them all on that flight. If I can do YUL - YVR - PVG on one SWU then great, otherwise I will book a lower T+ fare for YUL - YVR.

I can send you some 05 SWU if it will help.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:16 am
Original Member

I have a mitful of SWUs (2005) that no one seems to want. Let me know if you need them . . .
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:17 am
Original Member

"The check-in agent at LHR linked the two together and lifted one SSWU for the whole journey"

Cool!
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:00 am
Original Poster

thanks, but this trip is in May. I may just fly home earlier (depending when my last exam is) and forget about the connection. INTL portion is booked on an M fare, upgrade in hand , and I will have a SSWU to use on the domestic portion as well anyways, as after this trip, my next one shouldn't be until December 06.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
i'd give you an 06 SWU since i'll probably end up this year with a bagful of them, but with my name supposedly printed on it, they wouldn't do you much good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.