Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite miles vs. SSWU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tw1tch
I'm not sure how anyone could pick 5000 status miles over two SSWU's. 5000 status miles can be had for about ~$600. A J ticket difference (between cheapest Y and C) could easily be ~$1800 (domestic), and ~$5000+ (international).
I agree. Not scientific, but 100% of my Business associates who are Elite picked 2SSWU. For the above reason.
5000K easy with one transcon.
Most elites will only have this option to secure two SSWU.IMHO this option will be heavily exercised.Most likely the elites will keep them for that one International trip.As there will be no transferability in 2006.
International upgrades will be more difficulty to get for the above reason than transborder & domestic IMHO.
March-June is heavy International travel both business & leisure.
Especially Asia & India (especially Delhi as one poster noted, many J-Class pax buy discounted C tickets.)as there are limited number of daily flights.
Europe is served via LHR by several daily flights.Thus it is not common to have 100% upgrade success.Similiarly transborder & domestic.
As large % of SE are International travellers any upgrades available on Asia & India routes are given to SE I would think.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'm not sure how anyone could pick 5000 status miles over two SSWU's. 5000 status miles can be had for about ~$600. A J ticket difference (between cheapest Y and C) could easily be ~$1800 (domestic), and ~$5000+ (international).
Lots of reasons why... just maybe not pertinent to your situation or the "mindset" of an FTer.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:52 pm

Am I the only one that chose the 4 SWUs? (A lot of my flying this year might be with co-workers so I wanted the extra UGs.) Anyway, my gamble to forgo the SSWUs paid off -- I just received 2 - 2006 SSWUs in the mail today for passing 45K on December 12.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by wali
I chose the 5000 status miles because I will be flying to DEL quite a bit this year. this will get me to Elite 2007 a little bit faster.
I think the upgrade chances on that routing aren't very good because many people flying to DEL(in J class) buy discounted business class tickets, so there might not be that many seats available for an upgrade...hence no use for the SSWU.

Makes sense, I'm coming from a position where I clearly pass Elite mid-way through the year. Everyone is talking about upgrade chances, which is true. The way I see it, it can't be THAT hard to make use of two SSWU's throughout the year, so at some point I will get my value from them, regardless of how easy/difficult it is to upgrade.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by waitlist
Am I the only one that chose the 4 SWUs? (A lot of my flying this year might be with co-workers so I wanted the extra UGs.) Anyway, my gamble to forgo the SSWUs paid off -- I just received 2 - 2006 SSWUs in the mail today for passing 45K on December 12.
I unfortunately can't book Latitude flights unless I want to pay for it myself. I get reimbursed X amount, and X amount won't cover my travel expenses when fly Latitude (US/Can). International, I can get away with buying upgradeable fares, but they won't pay for J/C. Oh how things use to be.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada Altitude S100k / Star Alliance Gold

I was one who selected the 5,000 status miles. I made Elite this year with just over 36,000 status miles, and will be likely fly around the same number of miles this year, so 5,000 bonus miles make a difference. I'd rather requalify as Elite than sit upfront for a flight!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Always@YVR
I was one who selected the 5,000 status miles. I made Elite this year with just over 36,000 status miles, and will be likely fly around the same number of miles this year, so 5,000 bonus miles make a difference. I'd rather requalify as Elite than sit upfront for a flight!

This was my exact situation! I waffled for weeks about it...but in the end, the chance to upgrade a single NA flight both ways was outweighed by the though of dropping back to Prestige...

For my international flights (2-3 times a year, the SWU are good enough), upgradable fares are easier for the accountant to swallow than domestic latitude...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I will start off this year with 4 SSWU's, 2 SWU's and 4 NAU's. A couple trips to Asia will eat up my SWU's, and leave me with 4 SSWU's to upgrade all 4 of my domestic only runs. Pretty happy camper, just wish my SSWU's for crossing 45K 5 weeks ago would arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.