Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Money where your mouth is: changes to flight plans due to FF benefit changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money where your mouth is: changes to flight plans due to FF benefit changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:13 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Equally surprising was my CO experience -- top-notch all the way, from a reservation agent advising me how to save some money to my bags being first out on both trips.
I would tend to agree on this, I have had very good experience on CO. I would probably switch my SkyTeam allegiance from DL to CO other than the fact that their hubs are not convenient (either going all the way to the oft-congested NYC area for EWR or way south to IAH) and their desire to use so many 737s, which is after the CRJ, my least favourite aircraft.

Simon
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by why fly
Originally Posted by Simon
And the pass products rock, and I anticipate we will be seeing a NA Lat Pass sooner rather than later.
? The NA [North East USA?]Pass is here? it was just not properly set up on the web? Andrew had it fixed last week. Its so great to have him around... When I wanted to buy the "city" pass Atlanta was not on the list.. it was.... a city from YYZ AC just FORGOT to put it and others on the web list???
How does NEUSA turn into NA? Try "North America".
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:09 pm

Programs: CX-Silver, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
For me...

Well made Elite earlier this year, so looking forward to the SSWU's coming in Jan (I hope). Usually fly betwen 4 - 5 times a year YYZ-KUL, but that means only accruing on the YYZ-HKG segment and collecting useless Asia miles on the HKG-KUL segment (CX/MH are the only connections out of HKG to KUL in a decent time frame). So that means 15k x 4 = 60k year. And above all else, that is only during the April - Ocotober season as DST makes you miss the connection in the winter.

So figure I'll fly AC in 2007 until I use up whatever SSWU's I get and accrue on UA. Then for the remainder flights fly UA/SQ, YYZ-ORD-NRT-SIN-KUL and accrue 20k / trip. A little more pricey, but more upgrade scenarios.

Now if AC/AP kept the 45k threshold for SSWU for Elite, I'd stay as that would mean 1 upgrade every 3 trips, alas, not meant to be, so can't see any other reason to stay next year

If were to get that job in KL though, might be a whole different story. The gf would definitely be happy ^
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
I seem to recall putting my money where my mouth is this last July when I flew with HMY YVR-YYZ-YVR.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:38 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Heavily considering flying China Eastern or Air China or whoever it may be to PVG / PEK, we could buy an M class fare on AC for about the same price, but if I'm not going to make Elite again why bother. That will 2 P's and one E from my family alone not requalifying. Domestically it will be AC, however I graduate in just over a year, so i'll use up my Elite benefits this year, and theres a high possiblity I am nothing next year. It would be nice if they at least announced the Q levels for next year. I am assuming if they were going to be 35K again next year they already would have announced it, so I think it is a fair assumption to say it will be raised, if even only to 40K.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by shore9
I graduate in just over a year
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:49 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by why fly
So do you... you get upgrades that you can use.
In an inferior F product mind you...
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
What a threat, eh?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:01 am

As AC has somewhat of a monopoly here in Canada, there isn't really much choice for many of us who do domestic or NA travel. Since AC took over Canadian Airlines, I don't believe things have gotten much better. Things could have been different if Gerry may have got hold of Cdn Airlines with, presumably, more competition.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
I made the change a couple of years ago. I didnt like the poor service at the time, which was at the height of the labor issues and Im sure we can all recall how many in the front lines of AC decided they would take out their issues on the PAX in order to get back at AC management. I get to fly paid J, so I dont need the upgrades across the water, but I use them in NA. Flying on CX and other Asian carriers I enjoyed their J product and the occasional op ups to F.

I started to accrue the 1W to AA and quickly reached the SE version on AA, and get upgrades on all NA flights no matter what class booked and no need for certificates. At the same time I flew other *A carriers, but kept accruing those flights in AP, in hopes of the new seats and the ability to use my points for my wife to fly between YYZ and YVR easily.

This year my wife started to fly a bunch between YYZ and YUL and made Elite. Now in 06 she will be off to Asia a great deal, and is also flying in paid J. As a result of these changes she is going to start accruing in UA for her flights in 06 and AC wont see much business from her.

As for me Im considering what to do for 07. Might just go with my wife and others to UA.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by cur
In an inferior F product mind you...
UA service on Domestic J is same seat pitch as AC?
For International UA is light years ahead on seat comfort.. but AC has better meals, with horrific planes and seats. And really AC wont have "new referb" planes till 2008.

Rather a moot point with the new program it will be impossible to get AC certs for upgrades so....
PS something people alwasy forget is E+ an amazing product. Oh how about Exit rows... for customers
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:05 pm

Rather a moot point with the new program it will be impossible to get AC certs for upgrades so....
Keep repeating the same thing, and it becomes fact.

Once again, for many of us, who fly a lot, and use Latitude fares to avoid change fees, certs will be no problem, and we'll be starting with a batch as is. Just like this year.

So really it's a matter of "they're impossible to get for people whose plans are locked in stone and can make use of Tango+ fares."

Simon
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doesun
As AC has somewhat of a monopoly here in Canada, there isn't really much choice for many of us who do domestic or NA travel. Since AC took over Canadian Airlines, I don't believe things have gotten much better. Things could have been different if Gerry may have got hold of Cdn Airlines with, presumably, more competition.
Dream on. Regardless of who is in control, the key issue is lack of competition.

It is truly unfortunate that the only competition left is WS. Leaving us in the cold.

Incidentally, I was never one to believe the fairy tale that "Canada is too small for competition." Real issue was the poor financial shape of CP after the foolishnesses of the previous recession. A good bankruptcy a la AC would have done wonders to a new CP then. Does not mean that AC would not also have gone through their when they did.

Oh well. Given that Wetjet is not what we need, I guess we won't have true competition and anything like a free market until Canada opens its domestic market to foreign carriers. Which may well mean never.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Simon
Keep repeating the same thing, and it becomes fact....
That fellow is over on canflyer.com now.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 2:18 pm

Oh, I think we can say that there are other types around here, WS shills/employees/ex-employees/simple working class stiffs who found airlines/etc. who post on Air Canada boards, and others who might also fit into that bucket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.