Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I just had the dreaded phone call...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just had the dreaded phone call...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP*E SPG*G
Unhappy I just had the dreaded phone call...

...AC142 tomorrow (Dec 4) has been downgauged from 333 to 767 and I'm no longer confirmed in I.

Ken hAAmer.....are you on this flight?

I must admit that although I feel 'special' that AC actually called me to let me know (first time AC has ever called me in advance about a flight change issue), I almost didn't want to hear about it so close to the day as I would rather not have a whole 20 hours to lament about not having food and being on a 767 in Y in an undisclosed seat.

Apparently I'm #2 on the waitlist (i.e. those just bumped).

That being said, looking at the other flights for tomorrow morning YVR-YYZ that would get me in early enough for my 17:20 transborder connection, the pickings are slim to begin with (only 2 alternatives that I can see and one which has an 'illegal' connection time in YYZ) and it's even worse when looking at J/C/I seats:

[KVS Availability Tool - Amadeus: AUA]
Code:
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Vancouver Int'l BC CA = CXH YVR [CYVR]
YYZ  Toronto Pearson Int'l ON CA [CYYZ]
MON  05 Dec 2005

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- -- ------------------
AC        136    YVR  06:00     YYZ  13:27     320  0  J5 C0 Y9 I0

AC        200    YVR  07:00     YYC  09:20     321  0  J9 C9 Y9 I9
 -> AC    1152   YYC  10:00     YYZ  15:45     320  0  J4 C0 Y9 I0

AC        142    YVR  08:20     YYZ  15:43     333  0  J0 C0 Y9 I0

AC        34     YVR  09:00     YYZ  16:23     763  0  J0 C0 Y9 I0

AC        204    YVR  09:00     YYC  11:20     319  0  J6 C5 Y9 I4
 -> AC    120    YYC  12:00     YYZ  17:45     320  0  J9 C3 Y9 I3

AC        206    YVR  10:00     YYC  12:20     320  0  J9 C9 Y9 I9
 -> AC    128    YYC  13:00     YYZ  18:44     320  0  J8 C4 Y9 I4

AC        116    YVR  10:10     YYZ  17:37     321  0  J2 C0 Y9 I0
The Res agent who phoned claimed I will retain my #2 WL position (which in his opinion was actually #1 as the other person on the list is *P) even through tomorrow when the flight control is transferred to the gate agent. This seems to contradict what I've heard from others here. Or can someone confirm that in the case of a advance bump due to a/c change, they do try and keep priority to (once) confirmed I pax?

Or how about one of those other options? I'm debating the merits of changing to an indirect via YYC just for a 'chance' plus facing another potential place for missing my transborder connection. And on top of it I suspect AC would want to charge me fare difference plus a change fee as it's just a lowly T+ fare (corp. policy).

Any ideas?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I do not know the answer to the question that if one buys a tango plus fare, gets a confirmed upgrade in advance, the plane is changed and downsized for the upcoming flight, the upgrade is therefore no longer confirmed, then can one change to another flight (to get the confirmed upgrade then and there), without paying a penalty fee?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I do not know the answer to the question that if one buys a tango plus fare, gets a confirmed upgrade in advance, the plane is changed and downsized for the upcoming flight, the upgrade is therefore no longer confirmed, then can one change to another flight (to get the confirmed upgrade then and there), without paying a penalty fee?
No
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Well I am impressed at least AC called.... This is a huge improvement! ^
Old Dec 4, 2005, 4:13 pm

I agree -- it's great customer service that they called to let you know about this.

I'm no expert on this but I would think that there would be some discretion to re-route you on another flight that might confirm you in J class. It would depend on the agent checking you in and if they were feeling charitable maybe they would switch you without asking you to pay extra.

That said, I personally wouldn't do it and take the risk of missing those connections. But then it really becomes a matter of how much you are willing to suffer (or potentially suffer) in order to fly up front in a 321. I think I'd take the y-class with a chance at an upgrade anyway. Number 2 ain't bad and if you plead your case at the gate maybe they'll be nice to you. Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm....

I wonder if this had anything to do with the downgauge from 333 to 767:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...03&postcount=1
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:53 pm

That could be. If it's the case, that was very quick reaction on AC's part as the plane was supposed to have landed at around 1600 GMT, from what I've read elsewhere. Kudos to AC's customer service!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:20 am

Ken hAAmer.....are you on this flight?
Well, at one time, I was scheduled to be.

Last edited by Ken hAAmer; Dec 5, 2005 at 11:25 am
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Enough said
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
tainted
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:24 pm
ALW

Code:
"They seek him here, they seek him there,
They do not find him anywhere.
Is he in heaven? Is he in ----? 
That demmed elusive Pimpernel!"
=aw
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
Code:
"They seek him here, they seek him there,
They do not find him anywhere.
Is he in heaven? Is he in ----? 
That demmed elusive Pimp, parnel!"
=aw
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Now I know why...

*sigh* Well at least I know it wasn't my fault then

An interesting side-observation: I web checked-in the night before and was apparently pax #0003 to check in to the flight. However, when I got the the airport the next morning, they didn't even find me on the UG waitlist. So there goes that whole theory that a web check-in will give you some sort of advantage for the UG WL!

For those who care, the flight from my observations was most definitely oversold in J and Y after the downgauge and I saw/overheard several folks who were also 'confirmed in J' (be it UGs like me or paid J) being declined J seats for the flight.

Needless to say, I flew in Y for the first time on a domestic long haul in about 1.5 years and can honestly say that:
a) I didn't feel too bad as J in the domestic 767 isn't so special anyways (compared to my original 333 daydreams) and the seats aren't much bigger (though I sure missed the food and water),
b) when a 767 flight is full you had better take advantage of any priority boarding you might have if you want a hope of finding a home for carry-on,
c) people are still not generally 'used' to the whole BOB system (and it seems neither are some of the FAs who were obviously struggling with what is where and who gets what i.e. Latt/Latt+ pax) and it really is quite a pain in the A$$ for all involved (digging for money, "can you break a $50", "I don't know what we have other than these"),
d) don't bother trying to use a 'desktop replacement' (i.e. large screen) laptop in a Y seat as you can't even get the screen fully open!

All that being said, we arrived about 25 mins late in YYZ. I sure don't enjoy losing the Aerolotto for these longer flights, especially with my tight transborder Jazz connection which really limits my chances to eat/drink much of anything....makes for a rather tiring trip.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elited
*sigh* Well at least I know it wasn't my fault then

An interesting side-observation: I web checked-in the night before and was apparently pax #0003 to check in to the flight. However, when I got the the airport the next morning, they didn't even find me on the UG waitlist. So there goes that whole theory that a web check-in will give you some sort of advantage for the UG WL!
Umm, did you forget to hit the "upgrade this flight" button (forgot the exact wording - was it "standby upgrade"? anyway, there is a button that allows you to on the UG WL)?! That'll put you back on the UG WL. It's not automatic.

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 5, 2005 at 9:57 pm
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elited
c) people are still not generally 'used' to the whole BOB system (and it seems neither are some of the FAs who were obviously struggling with what is where and who gets what i.e. Latt/Latt+ pax) and it really is quite a pain in the A$$ for all involved (digging for money, "can you break a $50", "I don't know what we have other than these"),
Amazingly enough, on YYZ YHZ last week the IC actually stated "For those who have purchased Latitude or Latitude Plus fares, please have you boarding pass ready and present it to the flight attendant for your complimentary items..."

I was floored! First time ever I heard that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.