Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food issues on board

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Food issues on board

Earlier this week, I was on a British Midlands flight and purchased food on board (yes they do it too) only to get food poisoning afterwards. This ruined my trip to London and affected me for several days. Who should I write to about such a case and what is fair compensation (HA) ?

Then a few days later I flew from YVR to YOW, in Buz Class, but stomach was still jittery. Meal was good but a bit too heavy for me. Asked if I could have something lighter like yoghurt from the buy on board program in the back and was told I would have to pay for it! This is surprising as I was in Business!

Funny they can give you one of the new $2 blankets (with the so called pillow from the back), but the food is off limits.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:14 am

There is no alternative to pillows and blankets, therefore we are asked to provide the pillow kits at no charge to our domestic J class passengers. The food for sale would be a last resort alternative if there was a meal shortage in J class. I'm terribly sorry for your predictment, but if you ask for a snack item from the on board cafe when the J class offering is available, then I think it is fair to say that it becomes an option that you choose as an extra.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by upfront01
There is no alternative to pillows and blankets, therefore we are asked to provide the pillow kits at no charge to our domestic J class passengers. The food for sale would be a last resort alternative if there was a meal shortage in J class. I'm terribly sorry for your predictment, but if you ask for a snack item from the on board cafe when the J class offering is available, then I think it is fair to say that it becomes an option that you choose as an extra.
That's what most of have come to understand... however...

There's nothing more insulting than having paid full fare J and still asked to pay more for a cup of yoghurt. What great perception that conveys.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
So L and L+ pax sitting in the back can get free food, while a pax who is sitting in J and wants the same food has to pay for it?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same scenario if you have a meal choice (say vegeatian in J) and Cara forget to cater the meal???

I'm with yyznomad on this one,not a very good perception.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
I'm sorry about your situation, there is nothing worse than feeling crummy on a plane!
Upfront01 is correct. The food is accounted for and matched against those Customers who are L & L+ in Y and used as a last resort for J when a shortage exists. Is yoghurt is a menu item on the Onboard Cafe?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by East-West AC
I'm sorry about your situation, there is nothing worse than feeling crummy on a plane!
Upfront01 is correct. The food is accounted for and matched against those Customers who are L & L+ in Y and used as a last resort for J when a shortage exists. Is yoghurt is a menu item on the Onboard Cafe?
I used yoghurt as a hypothetical example. Replace it with a can of tuna if you wish.

Like I said, this is what we have come to understand but it's the perception that is conveyed to a premium passenger who has already dished out the extra $$/points to sit in J, C, D, and sometimes I. Sometimes the intangible benefit of good customer perception can aid the bottom line down the road (tangible) if the bottom line is not so stringently protected at the onset.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Certainly does send a bad message, and also gives new meaning to Hospitality!

What about my food poisoning case on BD. Is there any point to my writing to them and gaining some compensation or am I wasting my time!
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I used yoghurt as a hypothetical example. Replace it with a can of tuna if you wish.

Like I said, this is what we have come to understand but it's the perception that is conveyed to a premium passenger who has already dished out the extra $$/points to sit in J, C, D, and sometimes I. Sometimes the intangible benefit of good customer perception can aid the bottom line down the road (tangible) if the bottom line is not so stringently protected at the onset.
That's what happens when you make exceptions.

In my view, if you've purchased a fare that allows you to seat in J class or if your status as a frequent flyer provides you with the benefit of seating in business class. All the amenities are prepared for you. In the case of 100 000 miler, there are alternatives... L and L+ costumers have none. You could have had just the appetizer and a cup of herbal tea for example... or just an ice cream (it's by no mean a cure to such a predictment), but it can be soothing. Within all that's offered in Executive class, there were alternatives to the full on 3 course meal.

The on board cafe is a revenue generating product. L and L+ costumers have no alternatives. And the idea of including a sandwich and snack in the range of their so called "benefits" comes from the complains expressed in the past by premium fare paying costumers who could not understand that the passenger seating next to them, who had purchased a discount fare, would receive the same level of service.

You could have me over and only have water to offer me, but because of your attitude and your efforts to make me feel confortable I would probably leave your place thinking that you were hospitable.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what happens when you make exceptions.

In my view, if you've purchased a fare that allows you to seat in J class or if your status as a frequent flyer provides you with the benefit of seating in business class. All the amenities are prepared for you. In the case of 100 000 miler, there are alternatives... L and L+ costumers have none. You could have had just the appetizer and a cup of herbal tea for example... or just an ice cream (it's by no mean a cure to such a predictment), but it can be soothing. Within all that's offered in Executive class, there were alternatives to the full on 3 course meal.

The on board cafe is a revenue generating product. L and L+ costumers have no alternatives. And the idea of including a sandwich and snack in the range of their so called "benefits" comes from the complains expressed in the past by premium fare paying costumers who could not understand that the passenger seating next to them, who had purchased a discount fare, would receive the same level of service.

You could have me over and only have water to offer me, but because of your attitude and your efforts to make me feel confortable I would probably leave your place thinking that you were hospitable.
I didn't disagree with you.
My point was that the perception isn't good for J pax, regardless of how good the reason is. In the J pax mind, they've paid out of the maximum wazoo and they expect to not have to pay even more.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:00 am
Suspended

It can't be too closely controlled.

I have frequently been given food from the BOB menu free.
One one flight the incharge had no idea how much BOB food she had because there was no list or what was accepted. In fact it was never accepted by anyone, she wrote out the "cash out" in on scrap paper..
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:17 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
... What about my food poisoning case on BD. Is there any point to my writing to them and gaining some compensation or am I wasting my time!
Sorry to hear about this.

You might be interested in a thread started by HomerJ a while ago. I don't think we ever heard back from him on what happened when he wrote to AC.

Here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...food+poisoning
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:25 am
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
What about my food poisoning case on BD. Is there any point to my writing to them and gaining some compensation or am I wasting my time!

How awful for you! I wish to extend my sympathies. There is nothing worse than air travel with a quaking, quesy stomach.

That said, Food poisioning is difficult to prove. Unless other passengers on the same flight found themselves in similar discomfort it would be very hard to prove that the BD Buy-on-Board was the offending meal. They only way to know for sure however is to let BD know - they will check for any similar cases.

As previously covered on FT food poisioning can take anywhere from 6-48 hours to manifest itself and rarely is it pinpointed to your last meal prior to becoming ill.

Happy trails!
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTR
How awful for you! I wish to extend my sympathies. There is nothing worse than air travel with a quaking, quesy stomach.

That said, Food poisioning is difficult to prove. Unless other passengers on the same flight found themselves in similar discomfort it would be very hard to prove that the BD Buy-on-Board was the offending meal. They only way to know for sure however is to let BD know - they will check for any similar cases.

As previously covered on FT food poisioning can take anywhere from 6-48 hours to manifest itself and rarely is it pinpointed to your last meal prior to becoming ill.

Happy trails!
This is very true as it has happened to me before and was very difficult to prove (I was unsuccesful).
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mtacchi
It can't be too closely controlled.

I have frequently been given food from the BOB menu free.
One one flight the incharge had no idea how much BOB food she had because there was no list or what was accepted. In fact it was never accepted by anyone, she wrote out the "cash out" in on scrap paper..
Colleagues like this one... I'd kick their booty. Even if I have the paperwork, which is at times not the case, I ask my crew to do an opening count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.