Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Chaos predicted as DHS extends APIS program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chaos predicted as DHS extends APIS program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:52 am

Programs: AC*E
I have an interesting problem. I'm travelling tomorrow LHR-YVR-PDX, with the YVR-PDX segment on AS (because they have a flight that saves sitting at YVR for 4 hours). If the YVR transborder preclearence area is open I'll go through US immigration before I've checked in for the YVR-PDX flight. My TA has supposedly passed the APIS information on to AS. We shall see.

Chris.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:47 am
ALW

I think you just have to provide a valid looking US address, so getting the address for the downtown "W" or Four Points will do. Nothing says that a pax has to prove a reservation exists.
I'm sure they're able to check if they want to (if you're sent to Secondary, say). I wouldn't want to give an address where I didn't have a reservation, though (a) it's easy enough to make a cancellable reservation, and (b) you could legitimately be planning to stay at a certain hotel, but not make a reservation since you don't want to be liable for penalties if you don't drive that far.

=aw
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:59 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I have, on occasion, been requested to show my reservation confirmation ... this is something I always print and carry with me ... no big deal.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by chill
I have an interesting problem. I'm travelling tomorrow LHR-YVR-PDX, with the YVR-PDX segment on AS (because they have a flight that saves sitting at YVR for 4 hours). If the YVR transborder preclearence area is open I'll go through US immigration before I've checked in for the YVR-PDX flight. My TA has supposedly passed the APIS information on to AS. We shall see.
Chris.

Please do post if you're successful going through US immigration, customs & then security without a boarding pass. I have yet to try but have many times wanted to. You may want to see if AC can issue the 2nd boarding pass at LHR as they can with many airlines in North America & tag your bags through to AS, even if on separate tickets.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...004?hub=Canada

TORONTO - Travellers trying to board flights to the United States at Pearson International Airport are facing lengthy delays due to new security measures.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:44 am

Well seems the article has some information wrong ...

"Under the former system, passengers would simply enter a credit card or air miles card at the express check-in kiosk terminals and enter how many bags they had.

But the added security measures now require additional data, such as date of birth, passport number and its country of origin and passport expiry date.
"

Hmmm - afaik under the "former" system prior to today you still had to enter DOB and Passport information unless it had already been entered ...

also did not know that the kiosks accepted the Air Miles card
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:29 am
Suspended

There was no issue with this on my AM YUL - MIA. The agents did a great job of getting it taken care and we pushed back early ^ ^ ^
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

For my flight LHR-BOS in December, on BA the advance Information they now require includes the Hotel ZIP Code.

(at least the API for my LHR-YVR flight does not require this)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:09 pm

It was asked earlier in this thread why the US address info must be collected by the airline, since you have to write it down anyways on the US customs/immigration card. The answer is (obviously) that the hand-written cards are either discarded soon after collection, or are held by a different US department (is customs part of Fatherland Security?). The dis-coordination between US Gov't departments continues.

On AC's web site, they say this:

------------
As of October 4, 2005, airlines will be required to collect the following additional information upon check-in:

Passport country of issuance (if passport required)
Passport expiry date (if passport required)
Travel Document Type
Country of residence
For customers travelling to the U.S., address for the first night in the U.S. (for non U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents)
Alien registration number, where applicable
------------

Note the phrase "if passport required".

Technically, full Canadian citizens DO NOT REQUIRE a passport to enter the US. I suspect that the US address (for the first night) could be (or should be) only applied if a passport is also required for entry. That would capture all global visitors except Canadians, as would be expected given the current exemptions in place for CDN visitors (like the exemption from the US-Visit program where your picture is taken and your fingerprints are captured).

Or, to look at this another way, this is yet another way to make US/Canada commerce more complicated. Hasn't the Bush admin. punished CDN's enough for not participating in their illegal invasion of Iraq? Does the CDN gov't require the same info from Americans coming into Canada? If not - why not? Tit for tat is the only thing the yanks understand.

I travel (by plane) to the US at least 15 times per year - for the past 10 years. I've never been asked for confirmation of where I'm staying.

And what do you do if you're on a same-day business trip? (ie no overnight stay).

This will kill the use of kiosks in T2.

Will AC let you enter this extra crap into your on-line profile? Will they let you enter the US address into your on-line profile? (if they do, I'd enter something like "holiday inn" and some city and basically never change it).

It wasn't too long ago that you couldn't do on-line checkin to US destinations. I think this new security crap was the reason why AC put that into gear.

---------

Just thinking a little more about this - What an assinine requirement this is. Any real bad-guy (tm) entering the US wouldn't enter a legit address for their stay anyways. What a joke this is.

This is about as smart as expecting the thousands of Mexicans sneaking into the US each year to leave a note telling boarder patrol where they're staying.

And what of Mexicans entering the US by car or on-foot (Tiuana)? Will they be asked where they're staying too?

Last edited by Joe Airman; Oct 4, 2005 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:57 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
According to http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ustoms.html#us

3. What information do I need to provide if I am transferring to another flight in the US that goes outside the US?
If your onward flight leaves within 8 hours of your arrival, you need to provide your flight number and destination.

4. What information do I need to provide if I am transferring to a cruise ship?
If you are transferring to a cruise ship on the day you arrive in the USA, you need to provide the name of the cruise line, ship name and the port of embarkation.

5. What address information do I provide if I am returning on the same day?
Provide the address of a location where you will be spending time during your visit to the United States (for example, the address of where a meeting you are attending is being held).

6. What information do I need to provide if I am renting a car and do not have an address for the 1st night?
Provide the information on where you expect to be staying in as much detail as possible.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...05/1070315.asp

TORONTO - Airline passengers headed to the United States from Canada's busiest airport faced added security Tuesday, but airport authorities deny the new measures were causing any significant delays.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:05 am
At Large

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...05/1070315.asp

TORONTO - Airline passengers headed to the United States from Canada's busiest airport faced added security Tuesday, but airport authorities deny the new measures were causing any significant delays.
Screw the US and their stupidity towards Canada and their attitude about our borders. We have more to worry about coming the other way than they do. We might get all their left wing sorry ... Liberals trying to cross over.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Joe Airman
Note the phrase "if passport required".

Technically, full Canadian citizens DO NOT REQUIRE a passport to enter the US. I suspect that the US address (for the first night) could be (or should be) only applied if a passport is also required for entry. That would capture all global visitors except Canadians, as would be expected given the current exemptions in place for CDN visitors (like the exemption from the US-Visit program where your picture is taken and your fingerprints are captured).
I suspect the opposite, that the requirement for providing a US address will NOT be waived for Canadian birthcert/photoid passengers.

Originally Posted by Joe Airman
Hasn't the Bush admin. punished CDN's enough for not participating in their illegal invasion of Iraq?
Take it easy. All US visitors are 'punished' equally, whether they come from a country of war-hawks or surrender-chickens.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
Kiosks were lined up about 5-8 people deep this morning as frequent travelers (such as myself) searched my address book looking for the Zip Code of the hotel I was staying at... to me seems like a bit of overkill... passport expiry dates, zip codes... especially when you can write different information on the INS card and in the AC kiosk and not be asked about ... as my experiment proved this morning

T.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by AskTravis
Kiosks were lined up about 5-8 people deep this morning as frequent travelers (such as myself) searched my address book looking for the Zip Code of the hotel I was staying at
Just curious ... any reason you did not check-in online prior to getting to the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.