Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Way OT: Something's going wrong at JetsGo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Way OT: Something's going wrong at JetsGo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
jetsgosucks.com

National Post article refers to jetsgosucks.com
I remember some chap posting that url here on FT?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:42 am

FYI Jetsgo isn't "gone"; from the way I read it, they are simply ceasing operations in order to restructure.
Once an airline ceases operations on this scale, it's virtually impossible to restart as the same airline. And LeBlanc's record certainly won't help.

I think they are indeed "gone."
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
YGWYPF! sorry, had to say that again
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Westjet just pulled all their discount fares. It now becomes YVR-YYZ $289 ow and YXX-YYZ $295 ow.

I'm sure AC, Canjet, and Harmony will do so within a few hours.

Sigh .. time for about very high airfares again in Canada this year. No more weekend trips for me ..
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:36 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Westjet just pulled all their discount fares. It now becomes YVR-YYZ $289 ow and YXX-YYZ $295 ow.

Sigh .. time for about very high airfares again in Canada this year. No more weekend trips for me ..
agreed, while their CS sucked and they were never on time, to get a YYZ-YUL flight for under $200 was a thing of beauty

anyone realize that it is YYZ's march break this weekend?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:52 am

I'm not really surprised that they did this, but what a crappy thing to do with spring break in the largest province starting. I don't know what the spring break schedules are like in other provinces, but it makes you wonder if it would have killed them to keep it going another week or 10 days. I know, it's unrealistic to expect an airline to care and give any kind of notice.

I feel bad for all the stranded travellers, and the now unemployed staff. Too bad they didn't have a fleet that anyone else would want.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:02 am

WestJet Assists Jetsgo Crews

MARCH 11, 2005 - 03:12:19 ET

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - March 11, 2005) - WestJet (TSX:WJA)
today announced that it is offering $35 standby fares (plus all
applicable taxes and fees) to stranded Jetsgo crews including flight
attendants, pilots and maintenance personnel. This standby fare will be
available until Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 12:01 a.m. MST.

Seats at this $35 standby fare are offered on a space-available basis.

To take advantage of this offer, Jetsgo crewmembers must phone WestJet's
call centre at 1-877-435-9952 (toll-free) or 444-2483 (in Calgary).

WestJet provides scheduled service to 33 North American cities and
charter service to 26 destinations in eight countries. The airline
operates a fleet of 56 aircraft featuring 38 Boeing Next-Generation 737
aircraft.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

High prices or the true cost of doing business? When will some of you learn that bubbles don't last forever and the airline business is no different? JetsGo was dumping seats and losing money on every ticket sold. Who was going to keep losing money at this rate so you could save a few bucks? I have little sympathy for those stranded: caveat emptor. The airline business in this country will be healthier and in the end customers better served with this fraud out of business. Michel Leblanc should be lynched in Domnion Square for basically doing this a second time [his Royal brought about the collapse of C3K], but that should have been enough warning to those of you seeking something for nothing.

First they ruined Christmas for tens of thousands of Canadians, now it's their spring break...
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by lcohen999
agreed, while their CS sucked and they were never on time, to get a YYZ-YUL flight for under $200 was a thing of beauty

anyone realize that it is YYZ's march break this weekend?

If you want beauty, take VIA Rail for $140 return. Can you say "sucker punch"? It is spring break in a lot of places, but a lot more people won't be goiing anywhere this week.

Of course, it could have been a lot worse. JetsGo could have flown to Asia and Europe, and left thousands stranded on the other side of the planet...

As for WestJet offering standby tickets, good PR. Either this airline has lots of unsold capacity, which means it'll be the major beneficiary of getting JetsGo out of the market, or it's pulling a shrewd PR number. Either way it wins, and share prices of both it and ACE should rise a few bucks...
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:20 am
B1

Who's next?

With Jetsgo out of the market, it is not clear how many of the rest can remain. While it might be a small oportunity for West Jet and Can Jet the reality is that there still is not enough traffic and costs are exploding. AC has a good chance of surviving with their flexible model. But with the Jetsgo debacle so prominent, will the smaller airlines be able to hold customers who might be concerned about who's next? TA's will have a lot to ponder.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Shareholder
High prices or the true cost of doing business? When will some of you learn that bubbles don't last forever and the airline business is no different? JetsGo was dumping seats and losing money on every ticket sold. Who was going to keep losing money at this rate so you could save a few bucks? I have little sympathy for those stranded: caveat emptor.
Have to agree. People buying $1 tickets should have looked at as a lottery(surely no member of the flying public could possibly think that covered the price of their flight).

Wonder when the media will start pointing at big bad Air Canada for not honouring these $1 tickets to get stranded SG pax home when their planes are already full at this time of the year?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:26 am

Shareholder, you obviously have more knowledge on these things than me, and I don't disagree that Royal was the downfall of C3K. But, is it really Leblanc's fault that C3K bought Royal? Should he have been less of a sham artist and not sold to them? I liked both when I flew them, but found C3K had prettier FA's LOL.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta love those market forces! Maybe you can afford the fare on the Number 7 bus, FS. And there's always Voyageur to Montreal for a nice weekend trip...
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanJ
Shareholder, you obviously have more knowledge on these things than me, and I don't disagree that Royal was the downfall of C3K. But, is it really Leblanc's fault that C3K bought Royal? Should he have been less of a sham artist and not sold to them? I liked both when I flew them, but found C3K had prettier FA's LOL.

True Kinnear and company might have done better due diligence on Royal, but it was LeBlanc who basically created a false set of books that sucker punched them into a major expansion based on false number. This is a man who should be enjoined from ever doing business with the public again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.