Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Strike threat at airline supplier Cara

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike threat at airline supplier Cara

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Gee not even a bag of pretzels and a pop ?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Fairmont Platinum; SPG Platinum
No meal service and possibly no bar service

travelling business class Vancouver to Heathrow tomorrow and just got message from AC that they are calling all passengers as do not expect to provide any meal service on flight (apparently not even sandwiches). They are also not sure about bar service as the supplies are also provided by CARA.

Going to be a long flight
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting 1st post ,davvos.I wonder if you will receive some sort of credit for services not provided in J?

Welcome to FT
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Fairmont Platinum; SPG Platinum
thanks for the welcome acysb87 and yes, it will be interesting to see how AC responds if there really isn't any meal or bar service.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:20 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by davvos
travelling business class Vancouver to Heathrow tomorrow and just got message from AC that they are calling all passengers as do not expect to provide any meal service on flight (apparently not even sandwiches). They are also not sure about bar service as the supplies are also provided by CARA.

I wonder if they will rename their meal less flts to WS or AT flts.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Angry

Originally Posted by davvos

Bad move AC!

Why can't just at least get some meals for J class pax and sandwiches for Y class pax from the other caterer at YVR? http://www.clscater.com/

Or is AC also supporting the union at Cara and not doing so?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:36 am

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
If a strike at YVR can affect service into YVR, presumably because the plane originally was supposed to go out from YVR with two trips worth of pretzels and water, why can't they start going into YVR with two trips worth of pretzels and water so that people leaving can be fed?

I am headed to Seattle on Tues through YVR (AC 161) and was thinking of using two upgrade certs. Now maybe not? How can I get good information once I'm at the airport?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by daniellam
I thought that one of the main reasons for this strike was that Cara was asking for reduced wages due to AC renegotiating the contract and threatening to move to another caterer completely.

I wonder why this isn't at all stations where AC uses Cara though?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am transiting in YVR today (Saturday) and received the call informing me of the strike and lack of food service on the flight to YYZ. The message said I was receiving this call because I am SE and flying in J.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:47 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by daniellam
Bad move AC!

Why can't just at least get some meals for J class pax and sandwiches for Y class pax from the other caterer at YVR? http://www.clscater.com/

CLS has already stated that they will not be assisting. It's some sort of breach of contract from what I heard today. Breakfast flights are the most affected because the plane CAN'T be double catered since it overnights in YVR.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:50 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by ypqRD
If a strike at YVR can affect service into YVR, presumably because the plane originally was supposed to go out from YVR with two trips worth of pretzels and water, why can't they start going into YVR with two trips worth of pretzels and water so that people leaving can be fed?
Because the way AC utilizes their aircraft. You could have an aircraft coming from Asia and then continuing onto YYZ. Then you could be on an aircraft that overnighted in YVR and it's their first flight of the day. In both those cases, the plane can't be double catered from their origin. Most US carriers are double catering for same day return flights.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
We were on a flight (AC 1228) from YVR to YYZ yesterday (in business class).

In terms of what was offered (I can not comment on the situation in the economy cabin, except to say that an announcement was made that alcoholic beverages would be complimentary for those passengers) :

prepackaged styrofoam containers of (breakfast):

1) orange juice
2) canned fruit cocktail
3) fruit cereal (granola type) bar
4) cinnamon roll

Full beverage service was provided.

Packages of cashews and party snacks (separately) were distributed.

In compensation for the lack of a complete meal service, all passengers (at least in business class) were offered a $25 gift card, valid for Swiss Chalet (and certain other) restuarants.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an idea, perhaps they should offer more complete food choices in the MLL...........or is the MLL supplied by Cara too?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
....it seems AC should use a little of the "creativity" they keep mentioning in their TV ads to deal with the J class cabins. Maybe there are no solutions but it would seem rather odd. Not too concerned about Y.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Here's an idea, perhaps they should offer more complete food choices in the MLL...........or is the MLL supplied by Cara too?
Although I do not know the answer to your question, I can say that the MLL lounge in concourse C in YVR had the same food and beverage options for breakfast yesterday (prior to our boarding AC 1228) as it always does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.