Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS or AC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:07 am

Programs: AS MVP
Just go into one of those oriental travel agents in Vancouver and they could probably get you some good consolidator fares.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:10 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by privatejet
oh please lets give shore9 a break -his parents are wealthy. so?? jealous maybe.. i dont know shore9 or his parents but receiving a J ticket is hardly the measure of upbringing or character (or lack there of).
jealous of what?? Many people who posted here often fly J so I don't know what is there to be jealous about. Why would I be jealous of someone who uses their dad's Elite card to access the MLL when they're not flying. Reread his post, going HOME is a hassle and getting J as a reward/incentive to go home. There's something terribly wrong with that idea. His posts about this is just stupid. Why would anyone need an incentive to GO HOME??

Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
well many of my friends can't wait to get out of their house, sure they'll visit home, but not all the time, maybe like twice a year. Trust me most of the kids at my UNI, love being there, and going home isn't exiting for them, when your older yes I'll agree going home is something everyone wants
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:40 pm

Although most of the people I know do not express reservations about visiting home, at this moment I can recall three specific cases of young people (only one of whom is still a student right now) who harboured a measure of trepidation over going home. When I asked about their rationales for that, they gave me these reasons (these are heavily paraphrased):

Person 1: I'll be trapped in suburbia!
Person 2: I'll be coddled by my family and will revert to a less independent state.
Person 3: My parents will feed me my favourite foods too much and I'll get fat.

I think a thread that these three responses shared is that the respondents feared they would lose a measure of control and independence when they visited home.

I personally would love to visit home much more frequently, if I could afford to spend the time and money; what others may view as a loss of independence, I regard as an all-inclusive vacation- a pampering in paradise !
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:42 pm

shore9,

Just a belated point regarding your original post:

Originally Posted by shore9
AC on a Fun fare (which is 42 dollars more than WS)
the whole family's going
I presume the whole family is travelling together on the same plane? For a family of four, the difference to your family's, as opposed to just your own, pocketbook would then be 4x$42=$168, almost enough for another one-way ticket.

Is the WestJet one-way base fare you were looking at $129 (I just put in a random date)? AC also offers a $129 (Tango) fare- would that, while not giving you status miles, at least net your family the AC privileges of using your dad's Elite card?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

yep thats what we're doing, 4 tango fares, hopefully we can all get comp upgrades on that route too that'd be sweet!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well also from my parents POV. They want me to come home during the semester, flying me J is one way of convincing me, kinda sad I know. I like coming home too, but I find it a hassle, J for me is a reward, a very expensive one. I've already done 3 J trips this year, 3 more to go, to quit now I'd feel like I wasted too much money already, I know nobody will understand this .
Yes, very, very, very sad and frankly, very, very, very pathetic.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well also realize my dad is travelling, so he can get me in first of all. Secondly, my dad will be prestige or elite next year, so I can have his upgrade certs and MLL passes as well. I would be on my way to SIN this summer, but I get off work in mid augest, I'll have 2 weeks till school, so im gonna take a family vacation, and just hang out here. I'm thinking next may i'll be off to SIN for a week, is that a good time? too far to just turn around after 7 hours, i'm sorry I wont be doing a true MR I'm also thinking eastern Europe and go backpacking with a friend, either way it's coming out of my pocket. Over the last few days i've realized that being elite or prestige isnt as valued to me as I once thought. Prestige is really nothing, elite is something, maybe the year after next, it's more the fact that i'm on my way to prestige now, that I don't want to give up on it. In all likelyhood next year i'll be on cheap fares, and using my Prestige card for priority checkin and some MLL coupons, probably never use a cert. I think that the less you fly the more exiting it is when you get to travel in J or just travel in general. People who fly it all the time probably could care less. It's sort of a let me get this and then i'll quit for good type of thing, sorry for the long rant
Well, if you think there is value added to being Prestige, go for it. Why do you bother asking us? It seems like you know what you want...
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another reason of getting prestige is that you get the bulkhead row if available, before checkin. I'm 6 foot 4 and a bit, a seat with a 32 inch pitch doesnt exactly seat me all that well (main reason i didn't start flying WS in the first place when i went back to UNI) The fun's over and i'll be flying in Y tho from now on pretty much

Suck it up.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
shore9, if you want to do Asia economically, I'd recommend you buying a Cathay Pacific Asia Pacific Pass. Unlimited travel within Asia on CX within the period of validity. The pass should cost arond $1500, no miles though.
Yes, but that's all done in Y. Remember, he can't stand being in Y because he's 6'4".
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

well I'll probably be booking UA, and booking the bulkhead in advance, I'm assuming that I can do this? especially if I do infact have Star Silver by that point.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I dont have a problem with flying in Y on 1 - 3 hour flights, more than that I really want the bulkhead. I'll take Y anytime, more than 3 hours Y can get unbearable, not on AC really, but on some of the Euro charters, like BMI baby, where the pitch is 28 inches. If I could get the bulkhead row all the time, or an exit row, i'd be in Y, obviously I'm not the only one who wants it, however some people get it because of a reason that they can control, My legs arent what i'd say proportioned with my body, that I can't control. I'm not saying that's an excuse to automatically get the bulkhead row, but I feel that I deserve it more than some 8 year old, who's only 4 feet tall, but he was at the airport before me and therefore is entitled to it. With my plans for travel next year, I figure that being prestige for next year will be a great benefit for me, and i sholuld be able to get elite for the next year by doing a number of long distance flights in teh back. of course pre-reserving that good bulkhead row. One thing I don't like about the bulkhead (not complaining) is that you can't see the movie that well, cuz the screen is so close, that doesnt bother me, i'd rather get the extra legroom and sacrafice any TV for the flight. I'd rather end the argument altogether, i just want to add one thing, my dad flies a lot, and he knows that flying Y is a pain, simply due to him being tall and the amount of legroom that you get, obviously my parents arnt just gonna say " sure u can fly J" my dads noticed that its' a problem for me to fit in the seat, for my mom she doesnt have a problem, so she's happy flying Y. If they had Y+, i'd obvioulsy be in that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.